A place for Balance druid prior to AQ and so forth

A place for Balance druid prior to AQ and so forth

by Nobbynobs » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:09 pm

Heya! I am intending to start on the PvE realm and was really hoping that despite the somewhat substantiated rumours, I'd be able to be an efficient raider with a Boomking. If this is an option, would you give me pointers as how to perch my would-be furry posterior on the Promised Nest? I appeal to your better nature, oh, you druid savants and cognoscenti. Advice from ornithologists is also welcome.

Kind regards,
Nobby (not a knob)

I scoured the forum, or at least the first two pages, and came across this: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=20561&start=20 A nifty little discussion about the question I imprudently raised here. Anywho, since I am willing to put the extra effort into making a Balance Druid work, I will be hard at it over the next few months.

However! I do require assistance with regards to professions and itemization since I am but a mere owlet. Heh. And here's to all you detractors of Owls!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIvNCgX-QIQ
To: Nobbynobs

kill yourself you pathetic shillloser, the world is better of without people like you
Nobbynobs
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: A place for Balance druid prior to AQ and so forth

by Jaykylls » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:48 am

Greetings to you!

I am also a balance druid of unremarkable skill and wonder the same things!

Hoping for replies,
-J
Mulen wrote:well man i dont know sometimes i just let the flow hit me hard in the face .. then i relax with milk and go watch cartoon. and then it hits me again.. im not done and i continue pvp and the funny thing is that i dont even need black or purple at all
Jaykylls
Grunt
Grunt

by Syrma » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:08 am

I would say that Tailoring is a must have in order to get the Bloodvine set bonus as the Owl lacks in Spell hit from talents.
Syrma
Grunt
Grunt

by Syphonize » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:56 pm

Be sure you are ready to farm plenty of Demonic Runes. Learn mana management and know when to downrank your spells and when you do not need to, which mostly comes from practice and experience. Keep an offspec healing set for those times when your guild is low on healers and be willing to heal when your guild needs you. Other than that, have fun!
Syphonize
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Nobbynobs » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:28 pm

Greetings and gratitude for your replies!

However, I do have another query -- isn't the Bloodvine set something that comes much later on in the server progression, as I am meaning to start on the fresh PvE server? Pardon my ignorance if that's not the case.

kill yourself you pathetic shillloser, the world is better of without people like you
Nobbynobs
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Arev » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:18 pm

bloodvine set becomes available with the ZG patch (1.7).

The bloodvine boots, legs, and chest are made by tailors but they are BoE.
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=19766
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=19765
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=19764

The bloodvine googles are made by engineers and are also BoE.
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=20000

Engineering bombs may give you a slight dps increase in some boss encounters, but I am not aware of any other profession-specific bonuses that would help a moonkin.

I understand your asking about before ZG/AQ, but until then there really isn't enough gear optimization available for moonkin. You need the spell hit from bloodvine, and at the early gear levels you won't have the mana regen to keep up. You will need basically an infinite supply of Dark/Demonic runes and Major Mana potions to use on CD, and you will still pull significantly lower damage than a mage/lock putting in the same effort.

It's not impossible to play, but be aware that many guilds will simply ignore you over a mage/lock for many reasons. You will have to put in significantly more work to pull significantly less damage.
Arevor - <Dankk Budz Collective>
Arev
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by ShaqPack » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:00 pm

It's a lot more realistic to just roll as resto and raid til your guild gets to AQ40 and hope they love you enough to let you switch. The thing is the bloodvine set is great but the lack of stats is a pretty big deal here since druid's sorely need spirit for regen as well as the int for a big mana pool. As others have said you'll want to farm consumables A LOT. Scholomance for dark runes in particular, and you may have to heal (as it's the norm that the healers get those runes).
ShaqPack
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Nobbynobs » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:38 pm

Ah, well that's a bit of a turn. Your arguments have been quite cogent and helpful. Alas, my hopes are dashed and I will go down the path of healing. Not a bad career option, not by any stretch. Just hoped I could carouse with the fellows as an Owl. Oh well, many thanks.

Nobbynobs
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Norjak » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:44 pm

The consensus seems to be that you would be not worth taking a raid spot in many guilds, because your DPS is too low. Some guild (or PUG runs) might take you for the crit aura to help the Mages in your group. You will be constantly oom and would be using downranked Starfire, etc a lot to save mana. You absolutely need to farm demonic runes/mana pots to stay competitive.
Most people will just go Resto until AQ, as somebody else already mentioned. If you really have fun as a Boomkin, that's cool but you will probably be pugging or running with trash guilds a lot.

Syrma wrote:I would say that Tailoring is a must have in order to get the Bloodvine set bonus as the Owl lacks in Spell hit from talents.

The 3-pc tailoring bonus is Crit not hit. Anyone would receive the Hit from simply wearing each piece. Crit is not a game-changer although it does provide a nice DPS boost.
Norjak
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Viorus » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:30 pm

Nobbynobs wrote:Ah, well that's a bit of a turn. Your arguments have been quite cogent and helpful. Alas, my hopes are dashed and I will go down the path of healing. Not a bad career option, not by any stretch. Just hoped I could carouse with the fellows as an Owl. Oh well, many thanks.

At the end of the day play what makes you happy. Who cares if your DPS isn't @ max? If you're going to show up and do a good job I'd rather your play what you want than something you're going to play half-assed.
Viorin, 60 Night Elf Druid (USA), Knight-Champion

"Strive for greatness."
Viorus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Druid