I dont know what im doing wrong.

I dont know what im doing wrong.

by DeathKnight042 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:54 am

I've tried every spec i know and gotten the gear. yet I get around rank 10 or 11 in raidstats. I dont now what im doing wrong in terms of skill. when in moonglow i was using r4 and 8 ht and max rank rejuv. Full resto was the same. and regrowth spec r3 and 5 regrowth and max rejuv. i heal anything i can click on, but it just doesnt work. Is there any in depth guide or an explanation on how to heal efficiently as a druid and get to higher meters or numbers? :?: :?: :?: :(

Edit: Also what should i be paying attention to what addons should i be using. I have LUF SW_Stats Big Wigs Outfitter.
Edit 2: Currently using regrowth spec.
Treeformdps- S I X Swiftmend Spec Druid- Nostalrius PvP.

Went in as a shitter, came out as a Druid.
DeathKnight042
Grunt
Grunt

Re: I dont know what im doing wrong.

by Aslan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:20 pm

In a raid you get x amount of damage thats required to be healed... Usually a healing team acould easily heal 1.5-2x the damage thats actually taken, the rest is overheal.

It seems like you have a little lack of understanding whats it about to heal or to be in a healing team in the first place. For exemple, whats the difference if you heal more and get higher numbers on the efficient heal? Somebody else will just get higher overheal numbers and less efficient heal. Now you might argue that in a good healing squad with equally skilled healers, everyone is around at the same level, but thats bullshit.

Trying to make this kind of short (I will fail):
NOBODY ever dies to a healing team not having the mana to keep everyone alife, if thats the case you have severe lack of dps, a very bad approach to the fight or 80% of your raw heal is overheal. People die to burst damage.
What do you need to do: you said you yolo heal whatever possible and click on anything that requires heal. The reason why you cant push numbers is because you are a druid in that case, your casting time is slow, priests and palas got faster heals and shamen got ridiculously bugged chain heal mechanics, which auto-jump to players with a hp deficit.
But not only that, what you are currently doing hurts your healing team a lot for a couple of reasons. Pushing meters leads to not using hots (a required steady healing stream on the tank to prevent burst), not using shields (prevent burst from unpredictable boss mechanics that cant be pre-healed, also allows casters to channel interrupt-free and boost their dps a lot), it makes people blow instant casts when not necessary just to top off some warlock. Also people will try to heal whatever has a ho deficit and is most likely not being healed already. What does that mean? Tanks are the least 'efficient' way to gather up hps. Result? GG for your raid...

Now here are some ideas. Lets say you are assigned to raidheal as druid. You said you heal whatever possible so I assume you raidheal or have no assignement at all. You said you use regrowth which has horrible mana efficiency, so I conclude that your raid has enough healers already healing the raid. So all you do is make each other overheal, use flash heal, drink more, have more downtime. If you want to be a pro druid... Go smash the mob with your 1hander in healing gear lol. As soon as the others are oom sou start healing and your raid wont have any downtime at all. Of course you always beed to be present with fast and instant heals in case somebody gets bursted down, then you jump in and be a hero.

Tldr: Frankly, if you get contacted by your class leader saying he is not satisfied by your 'ehps' or even if your healers measure their dicks by it/if the loot council has an attitude of the higher on keters the better the healer... Your guild simply has no future, you will never raid efficiently, you will never raid fast, your tanks will keep getting bursted randomly and you will always have a high number of deaths. Most of all.. Your healing team wont get more efficient and have the same downtime even with better gear.

Things like 'you need to empty all your mana on a bossfight or you slacked'... Tell them to get good! You are a healer, you are a druid! Its up to YOU as a healer to determine how fast and smooth your raid can continue to pull. As said, there is X amount if damage taken in spikes, when the spikes are low you heal it as efficient as you can, when the spikes are high you burst heal as good as you can. In the end the tank has to survive, and as second priority, everyone else has to survive.

Shamen: you can use chain heals, its ridiculously bugged for the good, but never pair NS with it, thats HW exclusively. You can use lhw if your NS is on cd. Use hw for big steady tank heal. Hell, if you are in a tank grp, even consider using healing stream. I know its way worse than mana spring efficiency wise but on a hard hitting boss, that 70 hp tick might make the difference alongside other hots, who cares if you cant spam lhw in between your tank heals, stick to your assignement.

Priests: Shield actively, the tank has to be shielded on many occasions, not only pre-chromaggus breath and pre-shadowflame, its about random high boss hits or even crits of not defcapped. Also shield casters on cooldown, they wont get pushed back and the fight will be shorter, their dps higher, they will love you, the shorter the fight, the less time to fuck it up and wipe/get people bursted to death. Keep renews up on the tank and all potential tanks if the boss switches a target, be ready wih fast inefficient heals to prevent burst but also keep the efficient healing stream up depending on your assignement.

Druids: HT or swiftmend spec, who cares. I personally would never spec into moonglow, I know it is more 'efficient' and the raid almost requires one moonglow druid for big steady tank heal, but just look at what you can do with SM... You can save so many lazy dps or tank asses, nobody cares how inefficient sou were if people survived because of you. Efficiency is a steady healing thing.

Could go on for ages... Stick to your assignement and keep in mind that pushing hps for yourself will in the end just cut hps from another guy. If you are judged by hps get another guild and if you want to whore meters, reroll rogue/fury/warlock.

Cheers
Scar
Scar - Endurance
Aslan - The tales of a Shaman...
Raid streams; As soon as the lag is adjusted (rip)
http://www.twitch.tv/scarnostalrius
Aslan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by DeathKnight042 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:20 pm

honestly, I'm not in it for the meters. I'm just in it to get a higher level in the guild. My Officers and GM say that I have potential, but that i don't have high enough meters. It makes me think im not doing something right that my class can do. I'm mostly told to raid heal. i throw out my hots and heal a person who's at low or moderate health with a r4 or 3 ht(when i was in moonglow or swiftmend spec). I still do that but i'm using r3 and 5 regrowth at X person(using max rank in emergencies). I've heard about precasting but i don't know what that means. Maybe that's what i'm missing. I don't know that's the reason i made this post.
Treeformdps- S I X Swiftmend Spec Druid- Nostalrius PvP.

Went in as a shitter, came out as a Druid.
DeathKnight042
Grunt
Grunt

by Aslan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:18 pm

DeathKnight042 wrote:honestly, I'm not in it for the meters. I'm just in it to get a higher level in the guild. My Officers and GM say that I have potential, but that i don't have high enough meters. It makes me think im not doing something right that my class can do. I'm mostly told to raid heal. i throw out my hots and heal a person who's at low or moderate health with a r4 or 3 ht(when i was in moonglow or swiftmend spec). I still do that but i'm using r3 and 5 regrowth at X person(using max rank in emergencies). I've heard about precasting but i don't know what that means. Maybe that's what i'm missing. I don't know that's the reason i made this post.

Precasting means you start a heal on a target thats at full health because you "know" (anticipate) that its going to take damage very soon. This is very easy to do on boss healing
-You get a feeling for the bosses auto attack timer
-You can see when the boss is casting a shadow flame
-You get alerts for things like Chromaggus breaths
All these things allow you to predict the next damage taken. On raid healing this is a little harder, you can anticipate when there will be an aoe such as rain of fire on the raid, blastwave on broodlord and you can see which melee are standing in the fire in any general fight. You can pre-hot them or start casting before the aoe even happened.

I have no idea what your guild is or who your officers are, but frankly... *censorhip here*.
You have potential, so far so good, but you are not "high enough on the meters" is like the most ridiculous thing I ever saw. Reasons stated above in my first post.
Last edited by Aslan on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scar - Endurance
Aslan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Aslan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:29 pm

Aslan wrote:Tldr: Frankly, if you get contacted by your class leader saying he is not satisfied by your 'efficient hps' ... if the loot council has an attitude of the higher on meters the better the healer... Your guild simply has no future, you will never raid efficiently, you will never raid fast, your tanks will keep getting bursted randomly and you will always have a high number of deaths. Most of all.. Your healing team wont get more efficient and have the same downtime even with better gear.

--> The tank never dies
--> The dps and healers never die
--> Trash is done without mana break because you have something like a healing team 1 and healing team 2, one regenerates mana, the other heals, then other way around.

All this is aquired by getting faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from comparing ANYTHING with hps. You get certain people that like the playstyle on pushing meters, these guys are needed in a raid, they will top everything up thats at half hp and that helps a lot to avoid people getting to very low hp, but these guys are jsut bad tank healers, they will let their assignement go not matter what they say or claim. You need healers that stay on the boss 100% always casting and eventually interrupting the cast when if the tank is still at full hp by the time the heal would land, the tank can always die within 2 seconds or even less so a tank healer that starts casting on other things is useless as burst prevention on the tank, hes jsut there to help topping him off. A Healer that sticks to the tank 24/7 for exemple will always be low hps in the end.

Then there are other people, e.g. I have a priest in my guild, he is shielding on cooldown, is super quick with Power Infusions and distributes them to the perfect people, depending on boss spell vulnerability and players threat/mana. He is like lowest hps but he helps the raid so much with his shields to save players and boost our dps I wouldnt trade him off ever!

Then there are people with cat-ninja reflexxes that use quick inefficient heals to save the lowest target people, these wont be top hps either.

High chance that the highest hps in your raid jsut heals yolo everyone and hurts the raids performance more than the others but as it seems like he is probably getting rewarded for it by your leaders :).

If you want to do good, improve on your precasting, get experience to predict where dmg is incoming, fasten your reflexxes, determine which spell if the most efficient in which situation to still do its job, learn how to position yourself, how to preserve mana, adapt to the mobs attack speed that is hitting your target and things like that.
Scar - Endurance
Aslan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by TheNIF » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:25 am

Sounds like the guild officers you have are idiots. They should not be judging your performance by how well you do on meters, but by whether your assigned healing targets die due to lack of healing. If you haven't been assigned to any healing targets and are competing against priests and paladins to just raid heal where necessary, then forget about it because you can't really beat them (their heals are faster).

In some cases it might be worth it to just heal the warlocks all the time, that way they can lifetap constantly for more mana :P
TheNIF
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Norjak » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:03 pm

Honestly, just keep your target(s) alive, don't die & know the boss mechanics for each fight. Some classes will just naturally have better numbers based on a multitude of factors - gear, spec, raid assignment (single or multiple targets), the particular fight mechanics, etc. Meters are almost always an epeen thing - I found I perform better when I don't see any meters at all & I can focus completely on healing, movement etc. Meters can be a useful tool for improving your play, but they are far from being the only tool at your disposal. Do your research into spec, stat priority, farming your BiS (pre or raid), healing mechanics and the meters will mostly take care of themselves.
Norjak
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Taladril » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:33 am

Healing meters are some of the worst metrics there is out there. Yes you can tell when someone isn't putting in effort but if everyone is then 1st, 4th, 5th, who cares? Focus on getting faster, more efficient, and think about how you can anticipate fights and know what is going to happen, where you should stand or move, etc. That's what's important.
Officer of <Blacklisted>
Taladril
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Tiddy » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:44 pm

You say you've "gotten the gear", but that is a little vague. Imo if you're using rank 4 HT has your main raid heal, you might need more plus healing. Hard to say without seeing what you're using.
Tiddy
Tester

by Zanbaka » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:27 am

Norjak wrote:Honestly, just keep your target(s) alive, don't die & know the boss mechanics for each fight. Some classes will just naturally have better numbers based on a multitude of factors - gear, spec, raid assignment (single or multiple targets), the particular fight mechanics, etc. Meters are almost always an epeen thing - I found I perform better when I don't see any meters at all & I can focus completely on healing, movement etc. Meters can be a useful tool for improving your play, but they are far from being the only tool at your disposal. Do your research into spec, stat priority, farming your BiS (pre or raid), healing mechanics and the meters will mostly take care of themselves.

Taladril wrote:Healing meters are some of the worst metrics there is out there. Yes you can tell when someone isn't putting in effort but if everyone is then 1st, 4th, 5th, who cares? Focus on getting faster, more efficient, and think about how you can anticipate fights and know what is going to happen, where you should stand or move, etc. That's what's important.

Like you say the meters are pretty overrated when it comes to performance, but some useful info can be deducted from them tho. Here's some general deductions from the most extreme healing "styles":

high RH (raw heal), high OH (overheal), high EH (efficient heal): aggresive healer who always tries to top off the raid. Probably uses a lot of fast heals and/or AoE heals like chain heal.
High RH, low OH, high EH: less aggresive, uses pre-healing or predicts when damage is incoming. Probably using fast heals and/or AoE heals.
Low RH, high OH, low EH: Conservative healer who only heals when damage is dealt, but doesn't precast/ cast fast enough and thus lands his/her heals too late. May also use a lot of HoTs, and is probably assigned to tank healing
low RH, low OH, low EH: Is either dispelling a lot, a clutch healer or just simply slacking.

Also, of course there's a lot of variance between trash, bosses and raids (not everyone always plays equally consistent), but I've found that by studying the healing meters, (over multiple raids!) you do get a pretty nice idea of what kind of healers you are dealing with. This can be useful info for example when doing healing assignments.

For example, it's probably not a good idea to put a shit load of type 1 healers (see above) on an MT because:

1. They will go OOM too fast, and may cause the other dudes to overheal a lot
2. Possibly they are stroking their e-peen/ get bored, and will start healing other raid members to increase their healing output, which may cause the tank to die due to insufficient healing.

So yes, even though the meters don't tell the whole story, I do think they yield some nice information. Of course, healing isn't a race like dps, and if everyone would start healing over aggresively, things would turn to crap pretty fast
Zanbaka
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to Druid