Resto Leveling Build?

Resto Leveling Build?

by TheFishyOne » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:13 pm

Alright, I know it's gonna be much faster to be a Kitty 'till 60, but at the advice of a guidie (and seasoned Vanilla raider from retail), as I intend to raid as Resto, and have never healed in raids as anything other than a Holy Pally, I have decided to level my Druid as Resto, so that I may have a better grasp of my role and class before I even ding 60.

I was thinking of progressing toward the 5/0/46 build, getting all the Resto talents first, but with respeccing always an option, is there a more leveling-friendly spec to shoot for? Unfortunalely, when I tried to /cast Google(Rank 1), it fizzled. Any feedback on a leveling-friendly Resto build would be welcome.

Please do not point out how much easier or faster leveling as Feral would be. You would not be telling me anything I do not already know, and my purpose is to learn to work with the Resto playstyle early on.

Thanks!
TheFishyOne
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: Resto Leveling Build?

by Lorilay » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:28 pm

You cast the same spells healing as feral in instances as you do as resto. Your time in instances will be minimal compared to questing. Since you can't heal mobs to death to level, you're going to spend your time questing in cat form anyways, so you might as well spec it. The only difference between healing with a deep resto build and feral is swiftmend, which is situational and easy to learn after you hit 60. Seriously, leveling as resto is a really really really really bad idea that will teach you to hate playing, as opposed to teaching you how to heal effectively.
Lorilay
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Arev » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:15 pm

TheFishyOne wrote:
and my purpose is to learn to work with the Resto playstyle early on.

I'm guessing the reason why google couldn't find a resto leveling spec is because they don't exist :D

as Lorilay said, you won't actually be learning anything being specced resto, you will just be making your life infinitely more difficult for no reward.

Despite what you wrote in the OP, just level as feral and respec to a real resto spec at level 60. There is no reason to level as resto, seriously.
Arevor - <Dankk Budz Collective>
Arev
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by euronmisc » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:13 am

I leveled as pvp resto, 8 / 11 / 32.

21 days played until 60, enjoy.
euronmisc
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Taladril » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:26 am

euronmisc wrote:I leveled as pvp resto, 8 / 11 / 32.

21 days played until 60, enjoy.

21 days? Wow now that's a a commitment to the spec. Seriously though just do feral spec and grab healer gear as you go. You can easily practice healing even as a leveling feral spec. And you can do it in half the time (9 days played to 60).
Officer of <Blacklisted>
Taladril
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Hammersplat » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:06 am

healing in a raid is a totally different playstyle to leveling anyway. For me even in 5 man i heal differently to raids.

That said, i changed spec a few times and leveled as resto for quite a while too. It was relaxing and slow. I also leveled my paladin as holy :D

I thought that i needed to work out how to kill things in my end game spec. But actually the best way to kill things is to level a mage, which is gonna be my next 60.
Hammersplat
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Flaat » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:25 am

My advice, lvl as full feral like the rest of us in around 5-10 days and use your time at 60 to learn how to raid as resto...

You could lvl as resto but then it would take 20 days and you would have not learned anything about raiding resto in those extra days. Not to mention the big slab of extra gear you would have of being at 60 for 15-10days playtime more...
Flaat
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Doofoos » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:50 pm

Hammersplat wrote:I also leveled my paladin as holy :D

Leveling as holy paladin not even close to retarded leveling as a resto druid, because of holy shock and consecration :P
Doofhoof - Tauren Druid - <KGB>
Doofoos
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Ziphr » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:41 pm

Like others have said, healing at 60 is very different from leveling

for instance, at 60 youll get a bunch of +healing gear which will make spamming low ranks of healing touch extremely efficient. Your goal will be to try to squeeze every bit of use out of that bonus healing

While leveling, you wont have any significant amount of bonus healing- and max rank spells will actually be more efficient if you dont overheal and your goal will instead be(ideally, barring terrible groups with tons of damage and everyone tanking) to cast either a huge efficient heal and rejuv, or regrowth and rejuv, and then not cast for as long as possible- if you dont cast for 5 seconds you start regenning mana at full spirit rate. Since the only healing stats you really get leveling are int and spirit its nice. You can count that free mana regenned twards the efficiency of your healing- if you spam low ranks like at 60 you will never get that

As an excuse to level some horde characters, I leveled a second monk as mistweaver in MoP just to learn mistweaving- which was a great choice btw, its was great leveling. I also leveled a second warrior once when I hadnt tanked in a long time to relearn the new expansion's tank design

but also, I leveled my first alt, a druid, in retail vanilla as "mostly resto"
this is ten years ago, but it went something like this

10-32 feral- The low tier resto talents arent worth much, you wont miss it healing stockades and deadmknes or wc.

32-51 full resto- At 32 and beyond you could basically dungeon grind to 60, all the SMs, ulda, zf, mara, st, brd ect. I basically ran dungeons 32-51. Its not the most efficient route, but I actually like dungeons so it works

51-58/59 Feral again- Grinded AV while leveling for that godly healing offhand since you have to do it sooner or later. I went feral to grind in caves. After AV, there are also a number of outstanding quest rewards for resto available near 60 so being feral to grind those out efficiently is really nice.

then back resto.

I dont know if you can level effectively in AV on the PvP server, Id imagine everyone is doing it now lol. Also if you're on PvE server then there is no AV.

Strongly recommend staying feral until at least 32, there really is no reason not to be. Healing SM to ST will give you experience with all your spells as resto. Even if theres no AV Id still suggest(if you do get resto at some point) going back feral after you start feeling confident in your healing.

Im an herbalist/miner, and just having to kill one mob near an ocassional chest or mob-crowded node makes me cry everytime..

Oh, also, download luna unit frames and build your UI while you're leveling. No reason to train your healing if you arent going to train with all your tools

I still auggeat like everyone else though, just level feral. You can heal most the stuff as feral anyways- most the dungeons you run while leveling dont have healing specced healers, and barring stupidity they do just fine. The only spell youll be missing as not-resto is swiftmend, which, while awesome, is not required and tbh mostly just used for sniping heals from fgt paladins trying to top off a target in no danger with avhot on them. PS fuck those guys :p
Ziphr
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Taladril » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:04 pm

Ziphr wrote:Oh, also, download luna unit frames and build your UI while you're leveling. No reason to train your healing if you arent going to train with all your tools

Grid 4 Lyfe
Officer of <Blacklisted>
Taladril
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Druid