End game feral PvP&E. More than just a tank/flag carrier?

End game feral PvP&E. More than just a tank/flag carrier?

by itwasfree » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:29 pm

I played a ton of dps feral in TBC & WotLK. I really enjoyed the stance dancing of a warrior, combined with the stealth/BS/bleeds/CC play of a rogue, more mobility than a warrior/rogue combined, and the self-sufficiency of heals. Not to mention the ezmode leveling of being able to tank/dps/heal.

However, I hear that hybrids are in a pretty fucked state in Vanilla. How bad is it? Will I have any shot at finding a raid spot as a feral tank, let alone dps?
How is feral PvP in Vanilla?
itwasfree
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: End game feral PvP&E. More than just a tank/flag carrier

by Guirssane » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:17 am

itwasfree wrote:I played a ton of dps feral in TBC & WotLK. I really enjoyed the stance dancing of a warrior, combined with the stealth/BS/bleeds/CC play of a rogue, more mobility than a warrior/rogue combined, and the self-sufficiency of heals. Not to mention the ezmode leveling of being able to tank/dps/heal.

However, I hear that hybrids are in a pretty fucked state in Vanilla. How bad is it? Will I have any shot at finding a raid spot as a feral tank, let alone dps?
How is feral PvP in Vanilla?

Some guild use 1 unique feral, but that's it. You'll be here more as a offtank/melee buffer and do some poor damage compared to rogue for example (you can still do alright especially when aq pops)
Guirssane
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Noxm » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:10 am

Nostalrius PvP -
Noxm - <Core Raider of Emphasis>
Alt : Noxmk - Noxmq
Noxm
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by TheNIF » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:32 am

My guild is currently looking for a dedicated raid feral for dps and tank:
http://forum.theorycraft.fi/topic/185/we-are-currently-looking-for-the-following-classes
We are routinely farming all available content atm.

We could use a dedicated feral druid who likes tanking, dpsing and healing/decursing/other support when necessary. Bonus if you like to do 5 man instances (any role, including healing if necessary).

We would prefer feral druids who are not stuck in their form and keep their eyes open for stuff that they could do but a rogue/warrior could not, such as when their group gets low they can throw in a tranquility, a priest is low on mana, innervate, etc. Game awareness is very welcome!

As always when one gets to play a hybrid class in vanilla raids we expect quite a bit of dedication in terms of attendance and consumables etc.

I play dps and tank myself. Mostly dps, with some occasional tanking. It is very rare I have to spend time healing or decursing.
TheNIF
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Aslan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:45 am

I mean... You can hit green geared players for 50's and run away when you get low on hp and just tepeat that till they are oom as a r10+ geared druid :). http://youtu.be/vQoHPlNmjvI

But for real, you can raid as you see in the post above. If youd make the most out of your raid roster you would probably not feature a feral unless he is highly skilled and your alternative classes arent, but its not like you cant clear stuff with a feral therefore guilds can bring one if they think its fun.
Its all about whats fun for you, frankly I wouldnt enjoy the low dps , incapability of properly stunnlocking and nuking anotjer player (lol at these hits^^) and inability to tank certain bosses simply due to mechanics, maybe it is for you and then that is fine, but since you come from future expansions I think you expect way too much of it, its nowhere near tje same, you will struggle and work much harder to be on par.
Scar - Endurance
Aslan - The tales of a Shaman...
Raid streams; As soon as the lag is adjusted (rip)
http://www.twitch.tv/scarnostalrius
Aslan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by itwasfree » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:33 pm

Thank you for all the feedback everyone. It's been super helpful. It sounds like raiding is not completely out of the question, but I'll have to work a little harder to find a spot. I've always done extremely well in the past so I'm confident I can prove myself, even if it hurts my epeen to not be hitting the top of the charts or be ineligible for MT.

I suppose my last outstanding question would be, how poor really is the damage in a PvP setting? Obviously the burst has never been as good as a Rogue in any expac, but the heavy DoTs/DPS has more than made up for it in my experience. I always felt more powerful on my feral against plate wearers than my rogue.

And even against casters, my feral felt stronger as the burst was still great and I was unkiteable. (Except locks, fuck locks.)

So my question is:
How poor is the burst & dps of a feral compared to a Rogue in a PvP setting? Are we talking 20% or will I be tickling people and be incredibly frustrated.
itwasfree
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by milkribs4k » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:51 pm

Aslan wrote:I mean... You can hit green geared players for 50's and run away when you get low on hp and just tepeat that till they are oom as a r10+ geared druid :). http://youtu.be/vQoHPlNmjvI

But for real, you can raid as you see in the post above. If youd make the most out of your raid roster you would probably not feature a feral unless he is highly skilled and your alternative classes arent, but its not like you cant clear stuff with a feral therefore guilds can bring one if they think its fun.
Its all about whats fun for you, frankly I wouldnt enjoy the low dps , incapability of properly stunnlocking and nuking anotjer player (lol at these hits^^) .

I personally find Druids to be the most fun class, tickling them and running away might seem stupid but in my experience these high DPS classes aren't any better in terms of fun in the long term since it's just attack -> get crit -> win nearly every single fight once you get gear.
milkribs4k
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Tichonus » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:11 pm

Here's some insight from a Feral Raider:

I'm maining a Feral in my Raidguild and as mentioned above, your highest value comes from the 3% crit buff for 3 Melee's and a Hunter for max efficiency.

For example:
http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/FightOverview.aspx?Raid=26648&Fight=3 Top 3 Melee's plus Hunter were in the Feral Group.

As for DPS aspect of Cats, it is possible to do decent DPS, however it takes a lot of theorycrafting, macroing and timing to proper DPS as you've got to utilize Powershifting and so forth to compensate for your weak whitehits.

You neither can apply any bleeding effects, as they push of valuable debuffs and or getting pushed off relativly quick by deep wounds. You'll also need fairly decent gear to actually do DPS as the prebis stuff only goes so far.

Can't say much for PvP as I dont have the time for it here on Nost.
Wortgewandt - 60 - Feral - Officer in TDA
Tichonus
Grunt
Grunt

Return to Druid