Is this possible?

Re: Is this possible?

by Dr. Doom » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:41 pm

Keftenk wrote:It's also not listing Consecrated Sharpening Stone, Coarse Sharpening Stone, Dense Sharpening Stone, Heavy Sharpening Stone, Rough Sharpening Stone, and/or Solid Sharpening Stone. What's your point?

Categorical difference isn't the same incremental difference. Logical failure.
But it is understandable since the nomenclature is similar enough.

Category 1: A sharpening stone increases weapon damage on a sharp (sword/dagger/axe) weapon by X for 30 minutes.

Incremental difference:

Rough Sharpening Stone: X = 2
Coarse Sharpening Stone: X = 3
Heavy Sharpening Stone: X = 4
Solid Sharpening Stone: X = 6
Dense Sharpening Stone: X = 8

Category 2: Increases critical strike chance by 2% for 30 minutes.

Only 1 variety, no incremental levels.

------
If it were like a weapon damage sharpening stone, it'd also have a weapon type restriction. It doesn't, it can be used on blunt weapons. The naming similiary doesn't entail categorical equivalence.

After all, if a patch mentioned "Iron Bars should now..." would you argue Dark Iron Bars should behave the same way? Or if an "Elementium Ores can be..." would you conclude Enchanted Elementium Ores should also be the same? They are categorically different things with naming similarities.
------

The patch note as well as gaming websites all agree that sharpening stones and weighstones, types that increase weapon damage did not work for a druid shifted in cat or bear form (does work for moonkin). But the elemental sharpening stone, category of its own that therefore requires a separate information assessment, is not contained in 2.4 and gaming websites agree that it did /should work for these 2 forms. I initially thought it also shouldn't work due to the tooltip wording it as a 'melee weapon' based temporary enchant, but after researching on theNIF's claim seems his first hand recount is validated.
Not the first time Blizzard's tooltip lack semantic rigour. Paladin One-Handed Weapon specialization should increase Seal of Righteousness damage even though the tooltip doesn't refer to it.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Grayclaw » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:40 pm

And then this happened...

Dr. Doom wrote:
Istaria wrote:Just thought I'd post this here....

I have no idea what to believe now.
Grayclaw
Grunt
Grunt

by TheNIF » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:01 pm

http://thedruidsgrove.org/archive/wow/t-9960.html
Kebster
01-28-2006, 04:58 PM
test complete....it does in fact add 2% when the weapon is held in cat form....just a passive effect.

They arent to bad to make..just got to know/find someone with the pattern from MC

2 elemental earth
3 dense stone

Kebster
01-30-2006, 02:39 PM
its just a simple stat increase...hence why it works...

where as sharpening stones effect the "weapon's" damage, and the alchemy potion add a proc to the weapon swings.

But the stones just add +2% crit, so its like a stat on any other weapon.

http://www.ownedcore.com/forums/world-of-warcraft/world-of-warcraft-guides/4391-speed-up-molten-core.html
Casters can use Wizard Oil to increase their damage; melee DPS can use Sharpening Stones or Weightstones or Posions. Potions and Elixirs can also be used, but are a bit more expensive and do not last through death. Help provide them for your most effective players, but don’t insist on them unless you’re pushing hard to set a guild record… save them for content you really need the extra help on. One note for the druids out there — only Elemental Sharpening Stones work in cat form, and they tend to be expensive to make.

Notice the dates. These statements confirm that elemental sharpening stones worked in vanilla.
TheNIF
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Taladril » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:08 pm

Grayclaw, you're free to do what you want, however to me Pottu has made the issue quite clear directly here on the druid forum. In the meantime try to stop having a temper tantrum. Yes this sucks for us attempting to do feral dps, but objectively I don't want any class to get a dps enhancement from a bug. A bug is a bug and I hope that Nost continues to attempt to get as close to vanilla as possible. Just because something existed on Feenix does not in any way make it reasonable to continue it here. Quite the opposite.

If you are looking for alternatives to dps may I suggest attempting to provide your guild some utility, like tanking?
Officer of <Blacklisted>
Taladril
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Dr. Doom » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:15 pm

TheNIF wrote:
Notice the dates. These statements confirm that elemental sharpening stones worked in vanilla.

Good finds. Druidgrove does seem to have relevant information here. I think the naming and tooltip were poorly chosen and can lead to some degree of misunderstanding, but all the information I can find universally points at elemental sharpening working on shapeshifted form.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by TheNIF » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:27 pm

Taladril wrote:Grayclaw, you're free to do what you want, however to me Pottu has made the issue quite clear directly here on the druid forum. In the meantime try to stop having a temper tantrum. Yes this sucks for us attempting to do feral dps, but objectively I don't want any class to get a dps enhancement from a bug. A bug is a bug and I hope that Nost continues to attempt to get as close to vanilla as possible. Just because something existed on Feenix does not in any way make it reasonable to continue it here. Quite the opposite.

If you are looking for alternatives to dps may I suggest attempting to provide your guild some utility, like tanking?

I don't understand the tone of your post. Grayclaw was linking this image (now resized so you can read the whole thing)
TheNIF
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Taladril » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:29 pm

I was referencing this:
Grayclaw wrote:RIP Feral DPS...it's been real Nost!

-Grayclaw (2/10/15-4/1/16)

And you responded in a more diplomatic way already. Thanks for the elemental stones research. That is a nice find.
Officer of <Blacklisted>
Taladril
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Doofoos » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:38 pm

TheNIF wrote:I don't understand the tone of your post. Grayclaw was linking this image (now resized so you can read the whole thing)

Doofhoof - Tauren Druid - <KGB>
Doofoos
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Dr. Doom » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:43 pm

Let's try to think of possibilities for this contradiction.

I don't know what is Istaria's timezone (person who linked the screenshot) so I can't really know if Benevael's PM was sent before or after Pottu made the posts in this thread.

Options I see:

- The GM stance changed in the same day. Not sure which is the current then.
- One of them replied without consulting with the other GMs or admins. Communication issues here.
- It's somehow a joke due to today's date to get people confused. Would mean immaturity is rife in the management.
- Istaria used photoshop to create this screenshot. Pretty heavy offence if you ask me.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by TheNIF » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:44 pm

Doofoos wrote:
TheNIF wrote:I don't understand the tone of your post. Grayclaw was linking this image (now resized so you can read the whole thing)

:P
TheNIF
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Druid