Why choose a resto shaman (pvp)?

Why choose a resto shaman (pvp)?

by Tsifsamotren » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:09 pm

Hi guys, I just recently found out about this server and it seems fun. I was thinking of playing a healer (horde obviously) and I was told that shamans are pretty good but there is one thing I don't get. How can they be good with just 2 healing spells? I mean other healers seem to have shields, hots, cc etc and shamans seem like they are lacking,other than having purge which is cool. Can someone explain to me the appeal? Am I missing something?
Tsifsamotren
Tester

Re: Why choose a resto shaman (pvp)?

by Jurary » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:21 am

They're not all that great for small scale pvp. That's just rumours instilled by warriors all over Azeroth who want you to think shamans are great healers in pvp so they can get windfury.
^Credits to Sheep @ ED
Jurary
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Ninjerk » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:14 am

Rank 1 Windfury Totem
Ninjerk
Grunt
Grunt

by Oldlemon » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:35 am

in wsg and ab it sucks being a resto shaman. you get trained and unless you are a cow with war stomp or get lucky with resisting stuns as an orc, there is really nothing you can do about it other than try to juke an interupt and keep healing. In av though, man just sit in the back and spam rank 1 chain heal and you do great.

and also just today in av, some fury warrior with a death bringer and other epics initiated a 1v1 while i was crossing the field of strife. frost shock frost shock war stomp heal frost shock natures swiftness chain lightning lol he got embarrassed. And I have 0 epics and like half pre raid bis.
Oldlemon
Private
Private

by varth » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:28 pm

Shaman are great in pvp because you are arguably the hardest healer to focus down by a long shot for the horde. Having full mail armor + a shield makes you incredibly hard for phy based dmg to kill you, and earthshock + grounding makes you difficult for casters.

Shaman also 1v1 very well against most matchups so you still get the pleasure of killing the opposing faction every once in a while. Cow shaman are incredibly strong against casters in 1v1 because you can interrupt their main spell school with earth shock, then warstomp when they begin casting again, then earthshock again.

Basically shaman are unkillable assholes
varth
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Focusix » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:11 pm

Yes like there are no plate healers with bubble out there.

If you want to heal as shaman in pvp, go elemental and get 21 resto for nature swiftness. As full resto you will die fast.
Your frost shock, frostbrand or earthbind totem wont make allies stop attacking you, you must kill them. Once they are dead you can heal.
You don't need go deeper than swiftness.
Focusix
Private
Private

by Oyani » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:12 am

Tsifsamotren wrote:How can they be good with just 2 healing spells?

You're right, well mostly... they have 3 healing spells (chain healing) but yeah because of this they aren't GOOD in comparison to say a priest or a druid... They can get the job done, but that's about it.

As for PvP well, they're nothing special in PvP i mean yes you're a healer so you piss the enemy off but what can you do to stop them coming at you? You can't fear or root like a priest or druid... you can slow them but that's it.

Don't do resto shaman, especially not for PvP unless you REALLY want to play shaman... otherwise i'd recomment Druid or Priest.
Oyani
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Royberg » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:52 pm

Shamans rock in group PvP in my humble opinion. The key is to stay with your allies and don't run off Leeroyjenkins style and get yourself killed. You have tons of utility with your totems and have a good interrupt in Earth Shock, which also deals damage. In the past I often noticed that rogues and feral druids would flank me during group encounters in BGs and get the jump on me. One solution I found is to drop a rank 1 Magma Totem on top of myself to act as rogue and druid repellant if I absolutely had to remain stationary to heal people for a bit.

So, basically:
1. Stay with your allies! Once smart players start seeing your heals denying them of slaying your allies, they are gonna come for you; many will think you to be an easy kill compared to other healing classes.

2. Be mobile and try not to be a sitting duck if you can help it! Use the Magma Totem trick if you need to. Use Frost Shock and Earthbind Totem to slow down encroaching enemies and try and kite them until someone can relieve you.

3. Interrupt, interrupt, interrupt! Enemies are always casting stuff once your allies get into the fray with some enemies. Keep a watchful eye on healers and be ready to interrupt them. It feels very rewarding when I see I caused an enemy's death by watching through target of target by denying them a crucial heal. It may not show up on the scoreboard, but I know I did my part and made the assist.

4. Know when to downrank your spells, especially shocks! If you're getting strapped for mana, think about using rank 1 to get the job done. A rank 1 Earth Shock will interrupt a healer just as well as a max rank version.
Roygarth - Frostmane (US) 2005-2011
Zoldar - Frostmane (US) 2007-2011
Roygarth - Feenix (Al'Akir) 2011 R.I.P. <Starfleet>
Groshar - Feenix (Warsong) 2011-2015 Trivia, anyone?
Royberg
Private
Private

by Killstick » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:25 am

Royberg wrote:Shamans rock in group PvP in my humble opinion. The key is to stay with your allies and don't run off Leeroyjenkins style and get yourself killed. You have tons of utility with your totems and have a good interrupt in Earth Shock, which also deals damage. In the past I often noticed that rogues and feral druids would flank me during group encounters in BGs and get the jump on me. One solution I found is to drop a rank 1 Magma Totem on top of myself to act as rogue and druid repellant if I absolutely had to remain stationary to heal people for a bit.

So, basically:
1. Stay with your allies! Once smart players start seeing your heals denying them of slaying your allies, they are gonna come for you; many will think you to be an easy kill compared to other healing classes.

2. Be mobile and try not to be a sitting duck if you can help it! Use the Magma Totem trick if you need to. Use Frost Shock and Earthbind Totem to slow down encroaching enemies and try and kite them until someone can relieve you.

3. Interrupt, interrupt, interrupt! Enemies are always casting stuff once your allies get into the fray with some enemies. Keep a watchful eye on healers and be ready to interrupt them. It feels very rewarding when I see I caused an enemy's death by watching through target of target by denying them a crucial heal. It may not show up on the scoreboard, but I know I did my part and made the assist.

4. Know when to downrank your spells, especially shocks! If you're getting strapped for mana, think about using rank 1 to get the job done. A rank 1 Earth Shock will interrupt a healer just as well as a max rank version.

If you drop both Stoneclaw and Magma i would be very hard for a rogue to open on you.

1. How are shamans an easy kill? vs melee: mail + shield; vs castezrs, ES, grounding, purge,...

2. Da fuk turn around spray lightning in their face
Killstick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Shaman