Leveling advice

Re: Leveling advice

by joshbpepper » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:28 pm

Jurary wrote:And a mistake that many shamans make is that they think agi is any good for enh. It's not, you want strength/ap/crit/int. Agi only gives you 2 armor/0.05% crit per point. Stack those and you wll see your dmg go up.

8-) This is great advice
joshbpepper
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Oldlemon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:04 pm

flowison wrote:should i use 1h+shield from 1-60?

for 1-30 I would use http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#hZVVf0V0z

from 30-50 I would use http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#hg0uZVVfzV0ux

OR you can go into elemental first and get clearcasting and spam rank 1 earth shocks then highest rank w/e when you get free casts with something like http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#hE0zZVVf0V0z

You can spec into 2 handers if you want. I did just cause sometimes I felt like using a 2 hander for fun big windfury crits that one shot leveling mobs. But to be efficient you should go shield spec + fast 1 hander. Super efficient you should use flametongue as that is guaranteed dps, but I used WF most of the time cause its just way cooler.
Oldlemon
Private
Private

by flowison » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:17 pm

Oldlemon wrote:

OR you can go into elemental first and get clearcasting and spam rank 1 earth shocks then highest rank w/e when you get free casts with something like http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#hE0zZVVf0V0z

You can spec into 2 handers if you want. I did just cause sometimes I felt like using a 2 hander for fun big windfury crits that one shot leveling mobs. But to be efficient you should go shield spec + fast 1 hander. Super efficient you should use flametongue as that is guaranteed dps, but I used WF most of the time cause its just way cooler.

thx 4 answere.

so is clearcasting earthshock leveling more efficiently?
i will do the most efficient way of enhance leveling
flowison
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Oldlemon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:32 pm

I would say it is more efficient since if you don't want to drink like ever, you will barely ever be using spells. If you use rank 1 earth shock on a mob a couple times and get a clearcasting, then boom you got a free big damage spell you can use. Otherwise you will just be auto attacking to conserve mana
Oldlemon
Private
Private

by Oyani » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:35 am

Killstick wrote:
Oyani wrote:
Jurary wrote:Ele starts to become really bad at that level.

Lol Ele bad....

I leveled elemental all the way. Get a one hander, a shield and use rockbiter (WF only in dungeons). Most mobs will be dead before they reach you, if you're doing it right. If not they will easily be below 20% letting you auto hit them down pretty quickly.

But if you're enh then you'll most likely need to switch out all your gear to get decent at ele.

I think he is mostly refering to mana issues. Ofc you could kills mobs before they touch you with grounding shocks etc.
Leveling is not about how fast you can kill 1 mob but more like how fast you can kill 20. For that you need to take manabreaks into the calculation.

Also when leveling enhance i don't see the problem of going with a fast 2H before you get SS. If you level with windfury on a slow 2H, when it does proc it will often just be overkill which isn't useful at all while leveling.

Well sure, and i took that into account. Just molest a mage for water before you go off questing and you're fine. The speed of which you kill shit faster than enhancement will more than make up for the more times you need to drink as elemental.
Oyani
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Killstick » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:30 am

flowison wrote:
Oldlemon wrote:

thx 4 answere.

so is clearcasting earthshock leveling more efficiently?
i will do the most efficient way of enhance leveling

I think opening with your highest rank flame shock is more mana efficient than spamming your rank 1 ES hoping for an earthshock.

I'm currently leveling. At 22 atm. I just buy the max rank food/drink that i can use which saves alot of time. Using flametongue on a 2.3 2H, recasting lightning shield every time (when you run around max mana this is basicly a free spell), max rank ES on casters, 1 flameshock for melee mobs. I often use searing totem as i use it to tag mobs respawning but its also a good spell mana wise for mobs that have a larger HP pool or are above your level. Mobs tend to go down steadily cause i do constant dmg (flameshock dot, shield dmg, searing totem dmg, flametongue). Aside from a crit i don't do big burst atm but thats ok since i'm leveling.

Also, staff damage doesn't drop of compared to other 2H till later in the game. So you can perfectly use a staff to level as your melee weapon.
Killstick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by ShaqPack » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:28 am

A few pieces of advice:

- Stormstrike usually isn't worth it unless you got 2 mobs on you and need to burst one down fast, or for world pvp. Flame shock typically will do more damage, unless that stormstrike is a windfury proc of course.

- Some like the quick one hander + shield combo, it's VERY slow though, even with a 2 hander things can be time consuming, unless you got a lot of patience, get the 2 hander and try to always plan out what your next upgrade will be. Like if you are lvl 40, you want to start thinking about getting an executioner axe or even a kang if you have a lot of cash (it will last you til 60). Some people use the lvl 29 corpse maker in their 50's - don't be that guy.

- As enhance, a *little* bit of spirit isn't a bad thing. You obviously want to wear mail and don't want agil gear, so the pieces you are having trouble filling, consider using spirit items for those. You will spend a lot of time just dropping totems and auto attacking, this way you can mix in shocks or heals and come out with jsut as much mana after each fight, or possibly even gain mana lol.

- The mana stream totem usually isn't worth it unless you know the fight will be 20 seconds (at which point you break even for the mana cost). Of course it's always a good idea to lay down the totems and then pull enemies to them for good mana efficiency.

- Try to get the Ony buff or plan it out, start getting acquainted with when it goes out for different guilds that are raiding. This buff will make life A LOT easier, even better if you mix it in with elixirs.

- Be sure to have rank one earth shock as one of your key binds

- Also, if you spam rank 1 earth shock, you'll never benefit from spirit, from there you gain no mana. It's all up to you but I'd prefer to have mana left over for heals so I can keep grinding.
ShaqPack
Sergeant
Sergeant

by flowison » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:42 am

ShaqPack wrote:A few pieces of advice:

- Stormstrike usually isn't worth it unless you got 2 mobs on you and need to burst one down fast, or for world pvp. Flame shock typically will do more damage, unless that stormstrike is a windfury proc of course.

- Some like the quick one hander + shield combo, it's VERY slow though, even with a 2 hander things can be time consuming, unless you got a lot of patience, get the 2 hander and try to always plan out what your next upgrade will be. Like if you are lvl 40, you want to start thinking about getting an executioner axe or even a kang if you have a lot of cash (it will last you til 60). Some people use the lvl 29 corpse maker in their 50's - don't be that guy.

- As enhance, a *little* bit of spirit isn't a bad thing. You obviously want to wear mail and don't want agil gear, so the pieces you are having trouble filling, consider using spirit items for those. You will spend a lot of time just dropping totems and auto attacking, this way you can mix in shocks or heals and come out with jsut as much mana after each fight, or possibly even gain mana lol.

- The mana stream totem usually isn't worth it unless you know the fight will be 20 seconds (at which point you break even for the mana cost). Of course it's always a good idea to lay down the totems and then pull enemies to them for good mana efficiency.

- Try to get the Ony buff or plan it out, start getting acquainted with when it goes out for different guilds that are raiding. This buff will make life A LOT easier, even better if you mix it in with elixirs.

- Be sure to have rank one earth shock as one of your key binds

- Also, if you spam rank 1 earth shock, you'll never benefit from spirit, from there you gain no mana. It's all up to you but I'd prefer to have mana left over for heals so I can keep grinding.

thx 4 the answer!

to summarize this:

level with 2Handers and go for int/spirit items.
place totems before pulling mobs.
autoattack and cast shocks.
ss only when there are +1 mobs on you.
try to get ony buff.

what totems do you usually set at a "normal" fight?
flowison
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Killstick » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:23 am

Spamming FS isn't smart either since the debuff last i think 12 seconds. So immediatly recasting it when it comes on CD wastes half the dot of the first cast (so about 1/4 of the first shocks dmg). Also when you do Stormstrike, its better to earth shock the mob instead of Flame shock.

Some like the quick one hander + shield combo, it's VERY slow though, even with a 2 hander things can be time consuming, unless you got a lot of patience, get the 2 hander and try to always plan out what your next upgrade will be. Like if you are lvl 40, you want to start thinking about getting an executioner axe or even a kang if you have a lot of cash (it will last you til 60). Some people use the lvl 29 corpse maker in their 50's - don't be that guy.

Fast dagger with flametongue and shield can be very mana efficient. It prevents overkill from huge 2H hits and the damage reduction from shield is very nice.

As enhance, a *little* bit of spirit isn't a bad thing. You obviously want to wear mail and don't want agil gear, so the pieces you are having trouble filling, consider using spirit items for those. You will spend a lot of time just dropping totems and auto attacking, this way you can mix in shocks or heals and come out with jsut as much mana after each fight, or possibly even gain mana lol.

Spirit regen only kicks in after a few seconds of not casting spells (i think its 5). So not that useful of a stat. I'd focus on Stamina, intellect, strength. Just stockpile food and use bandages. If you level first aid you will have to try hard to use all the bandages you make at low lvl.

For an elite you can go all out with 4 totems. But for your average mob its unnecessary.

I usually use either Lighting bolt to pull a mob and then flame shock or straight up flame shock. Vs harder, elite, mobs i go max range and try to get it 2 bolts in before the shock. I put up searing totem and lightning shield before i pull and i recast lightning shield. I only earthshock to interupt a mob. I use healing wave when im at 50% after a mob (this put you at nearly full HP normally). When im below 25% mana i heal to full, rebuff weapon and cast shield and drink to full.

I'm not yet 40 on this toon, but once i get SS i will try to get the 2H axe from SM. Go for 1 normaly hit and then do SS. I don't think its very efficient do SS on a mob below 50% HP. And ofc the usefulness of SS depends on the weapon you wield.

Also don't spam ghost wolf between every mob. Its costs alot of mana.
Killstick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Bebop » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:36 am

Instead of making a new thread I figured i'd ask a leveling question here.

I'm currently level 54 and leveling as enhancement, I was wondering at what point I should make the switch to Resto for doing dungeons? My plan for now was to burn through the rest of my quests and try to complete the quests that give me some pre-raid BiS items and then switching to resto and just dungeon grinding my way to 60 with the occasional quest here or there.

Is this a decent way to finish off the last few levels or am I better off just sticking with enhancement and doing every quest I can or just general grinding my way to 60 and then switching to resto?
Bebop
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Shaman