Elemental Shaman PvP

Re: Elemental Shaman PvP

by Killstick » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:05 am

Jurary wrote:
Thatoneguy wrote:
Killstick wrote:http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#hE0zEzMqZZVbIx0bo

This is the build that I'm going to try out: http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#hE0zAcMqZZVbe00xo

It's nearly identical. But I value Eye of the Storm very highly and reduced mana cost for totems very highly.

The Focused Casting effect keeps active for the full duration no matter how many spells you can fit in. I also want to be able to force it from auto attacks and having a 33% or 66% just isn't high enough for consistency's sake. Reverbation is good but Elemental Focus and Call of Thunder just shouldn't be cut. Besides, it's unlikely that you're casting a shock every 5 seconds. Most of the time a 5 sec CD 20 yard shock doesn't line up with the constant purging, use of totems and LB /CL rotation.

I don't value Healing Focus that much for group battles. I would consider taking it if I was going for a duel or solo/world PvP spec, but in a BG spec with group oriented play? No way. It just isn't

If I were you i'd take out another 2 points from reverbation and put them into reduced fire nova totem detonation timer. Having that at 2 seconds will almost always have it do it's damage before getting killed, and if you're a tauren you can fire nova > warstomp > cl > shock for insane burst dmg on melee. Too many shamans underestimate fire nova, I just had it crit 1k dmg one game ago.

Also i'd take out both pts from improved reincarnation and put them into totem range/ancestral fortitude. 20 yards on totems is ridiculously low, try 40 yards on for size with the talent + 3/8 t1. maybe you dont feel like u need it yourself, but warriors will love those 40 yards windfury totems.

On alot of these points i feel you could make the arguement about if you are going 100% pocket healer or more hybrid.

- Yeh as Tauren the fire nova totem could indeed be very useful in a combo. Tbh if its 4 sec, its unusable . Wouldn't you also take 3 points out of convection for improved fire totems (Call of Flame)?

- I'm still not sold on Eye of the storm. Forcing it by sitting is very risky as alot of classes benefit from crits aswell. So you are low you need to heal > you /sit eat a crit (more dmg) which buffs your oppenents damage. Also the time it take to /sit can be used to start healing.

- Totem range; I didn't know about the 40 yard range but isn't that a bug (both talent and T1 supposed to buff range to 30 y?). Also it makes it harder to pick what will get absorbed by grounding totem. Again if you are playing pocket healer for a war it makes sence.

- Imp reincarnation; its a gimmick. But one that i remember i had alot of fun with and could decide matches with.

- Mana talents; i might drift away from these. Mana is something you can get from drinking aswell or stacking some more int. Where the other points you can't really make up with gear (like interups, reduced CD, casting time,...) . They do suck up 15 points in the build if you take them all. Which is a lot.

Since i'm not 60 on this char yet and played most of vanilla as enhancement i'll have to find some things out myself when i get geared. I'm planning on playing more of hybrid than pure pocket healer.

> totem range (grounding juke vs team buff)
> imp reincarnation
> mana talents (heal, shocks/LB/CL, totems)
> Healing focus vs EoTs
> -1 sec shocks

I think i will go http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#hVbuybMqZZxbIx0bo when i hit 60. But I will take my experience and notes from you guys into consideration when i start playing it.

And again; what shield would you use for a non-raiding ele shaman? I have gold to buy items. But Red Dragonscale Protector will be too expensive immo (i don't know how raiders value this vs malistars). So i'm in doubt between Force Reactive and Skullflame if either of these prove to scale with spellpower. Else just statshield with some shaman lookz like Observer.
Killstick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Thatoneguy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:25 am

Killstick wrote:
Jurary wrote:I'm still not sold on Eye of the storm. Forcing it by sitting is very risky as alot of classes benefit from crits aswell. So you are low you need to heal > you /sit eat a crit (more dmg) which buffs your oppenents damage. Also the time it take to /sit can be used to start healing.

This talent is a discussion on its own. It's used situationally and usually only done correctly by advanced players. The 3 major times when you use this are when:

- A Rogue is auto attacking you and low on energy. (When a Rogue is low on energy you know he won't be able to use abilities on you like Eviscerate.)
- A Hunter's pet is auto attacking you.
- A Warlock's pet is auto attacking you.

It's just icing on the cake when a Warlock/Hunter decides to let their pet attack you while they focus on other targets, they have no idea how much it helps a Shaman instead of hurts them. The benefit that either the Hunter/Warlock gains by having their pet crit one auto attack, or a rogue getting a crit with 1 auto attack are not nearly as much as a Shaman gets from 6 seconds of uninterrupted casting.

it's not a brain dead talent. Shamans that wait to heal util they are <15% health aren't going to be saved either way as 1 interrupt will be their death. Take note that this talent is more for offense than defense, which is another thing most Shamans don't see.
Thatoneguy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Killstick » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:26 am

Thatoneguy wrote:
Killstick wrote:
Jurary wrote:I'm still not sold on Eye of the storm. Forcing it by sitting is very risky as alot of classes benefit from crits aswell. So you are low you need to heal > you /sit eat a crit (more dmg) which buffs your oppenents damage. Also the time it take to /sit can be used to start healing.

This talent is a discussion on its own. It's used situationally and usually only done correctly by advanced players. The 3 major times when you use this are when:

- A Rogue is auto attacking you and low on energy. (When a Rogue is low on energy you know he won't be able to use abilities on you like Eviscerate.)
- A Hunter's pet is auto attacking you.
- A Warlock's pet is auto attacking you.

It's just icing on the cake when a Warlock/Hunter decides to let their pet attack you while they focus on other targets, they have no idea how much it helps a Shaman instead of hurts them. The benefit that either the Hunter/Warlock gains by having their pet crit one auto attack, or a rogue getting a crit with 1 auto attack are not nearly as much as a Shaman gets from 6 seconds of uninterrupted casting.

it's not a brain dead talent. Shamans that wait to heal util they are <15% health aren't going to be saved either way as 1 interrupt will be their death. Take note that this talent is more for offense than defense, which is another thing most Shamans don't see.

First off, you quoted me but somehow it looks like you quoted Jurary.

Give me a common offense situation where this would be useful(by offense i understand casting LB or CL)? Because this is mostly the reason why i see this talent only as an equal to healing focus for PvP

Vs rogue/warrior i can see this being up all the time. Vs hunter/warlock (assuming they are using felhunter) you could get it up when you like. So thats already 4/8 classes. Mages crit alot but CS is alot more dangerous. Leaving paladins, priest and druids. Who don't really interupt alot. So i can see the point you are making. It just feels weird for me to have so little points in reverberation.

So for me atm its seems like choosing between http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#hVbuqfMqZZxbjz0xo and http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#hVbuybMqZZxbIx0bo

3/3 EoTS
-0.2 sec shock CD
+5% crit
-20% mana for totems
30 yard friendly totem (could be moved to mana for totems)

Vs

5/5 Healing Focus
-0.8 sec shock CD
+2% crit
-15% mana for totems

- The totem range could be discussed about (pocket healer vs more hybrid)
- I think healing focus 5/5 is equal to 3/3 EoTS

So it comes down to 3% crit and 5% (or 10%) on totems for 0.6 sec CD on shocks. Crit and mana can be compensated by gear. You can't gear towards lower CD on shocks. So i'd still give the spec with healing focus a slight preference. If you go more towards a pocket healer spec i fully understand going for the other spec.
Killstick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Killstick » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:51 pm

To get back to the shield discussion (Skullflame vs Force reactive vs???).

I just looted a shield "of frozen wrath". Any idea what a high lvl green shield would give in "nature's wrath"?
Killstick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Previous

Return to Shaman