Restoration Shaman

Re: Restoration Shaman

by Aslan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:26 am

Healing focus is highly useful for any kind of damage you take, possible fights: Lucifron, Magmadar, Gehennas, Shazzrah, Sulfuron, Golemagg, Majordomo, Ragnaros, Razorgore, Vael, Flamegore, Chromaggus, Nefarian.. Every boss in the entire content apart of a few exeptions? :D.

As for full resto I wouldnt try anything other than this as a bare minimum http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#hZxZEcxtVeqo (2 points remaining)
If you happen to arrive in a geared guild where you feature more healers than necessary in the setup, you can think about switching to something like http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#hZxi0dVMZV0xtVha, however if your guild decides to optimise healer specs to support dps, in that case of a shaman you would probably be better off bringing that shamans dps alt for fights where you dont need the heal. You will be completely unable to be in a caster group (no mana tide) nor able to tank heal (no improved healing wave and Healing way), the only reason for you to be there would be swinging nightfall on trash in healing gear and having improved totems for melee + being able to use lesser healing wave + chain healing as efficient as the full resto shaman for raid healing... Very limited field you can be assigned to by the healing assigner.

Measuring a healer as individual is hard since healing is a team effort and you only see the outcome of the team itself, no healing meters in the world would show you who is performing good and who is performing bad inside a healing team. By good I mean "right" and by bad I mean "wrong" rather. You can be terribly wrong with good healing throughput and delightfully right in doing choices even when having the least efficient heal per second.
Check this: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=28259 for more details (the comments).
Scar - Endurance
Aslan - The tales of a Shaman...
Raid streams; As soon as the lag is adjusted (rip)
http://www.twitch.tv/scarnostalrius
Aslan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Thatoneguy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:48 am

Never spec into Gaurdian Totems over Imp Ghost Wolf.

Stoneskin and Windwall totem are never used, you either use Strength of Earth or in rarer cases Earthbind or no earth totem at all. Reducing Grounding totem from 15 seconds to 13 is useless as well because you're using either Windfury, Tranquil or in rarer cases Grace of Air.

The only reason to ever get Gaurdian Totems is to get the -2 seconds on Grounding totem for PvP, but if you're going for PvP then 2/2 imp ghost wolf is such a big deal that it always has priority.

Schoof wrote:
Thatoneguy wrote:
Schoof wrote:Getting the mp/5 gear is mostly important for doing raids am I correct? For dungeon healing It would be best to get out as much +healing as possible?

Either an MP/5 or +healing set will be fine for dungeon healing. I would use whatever I could get my hands on and make the decision based on what item has better stats.

These guides are good for more information about Shaman healing:

http://www.wow-one.com/forum/topic/1512 ... to-shaman/
http://www.wow-one.com/forum/topic/3194 ... y-purples/

Thx again :D! I currently have these 4 rings and I'm not sure which ones would be best to use.

And I also have the following 2 cloaks:

You can see the rest of my gear here: http://realmplayers.com/CharacterViewer ... r=Melkmelk (upgraded offhand to http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=17106 yesterday :))

I'm still trying to upgrade my chest and trinkets, but that's proving to be difficult. :P

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=18314 are better but in certain fights (such as against Vaeel in BWL) you're better off with the healing power items.
Thatoneguy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Aslan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:26 pm

Can agree with the guardian totems, unless maybe you have big issues with a boss like chromaggus due to lack of gear and not other things (without sands, threat shouldnt be that much of an issue), you would probably not spec it consistently.

But about this ring, please dont tell me you calculate shit like 1mp5 = 7 healpower = 5 intellect... Egregious in honour but thats based on a 6+ minute fight with AQ/naxx gear, also much too straight forward and not taking nostalrius specific server bugs into account. Demonic guild surely is awesome on trash, razorgore, nef, if you are ever out of mana pots and dark runes (then you got other issues :D), disregarding your assignement.

But if you are to chainheal I wouldnt use them, if you are to single target heal Id prolly use them on longer fights... Its all about switching. Ofc Vael is THE one fight to illustrate that you need full heal power gear to swap in and out :).
Scar - Endurance
Aslan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Zanbaka » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:29 pm

Aslan wrote:Gear is a little more tricky, some might say you need as much mp5 to be oom just at the end of a fight to use your full potential with +heal power gear, but thats bullshit. You need as much heal power gear to not let anyone die when using the most efficient spells (downranked spells need to heal a decent amount more), the rest you can store into mp5. This may sound like you weigh mp5 a lot more than many other shamans but thats not the conclusion of that, its rly just a difference in attitude and about what it means to be in a healing team. The whole raid is one big fight, you want to progress through fast with 2 goals: 1.) dont let anyone die and 2.) limit your drinking time to a minimum. If you were allowed to drink after every single fight/completely oom after every boss you could stack solely +hp gear and your raid would be slow as fuck.

I'd say the impact of MP5 on downtime is pretty much neglegible, considering that you would have to use higher rank spells to get the same amount of healing done. The amount of mana that you receive through drinking is also a million times more than what you would receive through MP5 anyway, and also you won't go OOM on every trash fight

Aslan wrote:Now a well-known and reported + confirmed chain heal bug that lets your +heal scale on the bounces of your chain heal when the bounces depend on the initial heal and each other, makes chain heal way more overpowered than it supposed to be.

I've also noticed that the second and third jump are healing more than they should be, but do you know the +heal coefficient by any chance?
Zanbaka
Grunt
Grunt

by Aslan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:40 pm

Thats all I have, from another project with the same scriptcore, therefore likely the same bug
https://github.com/FeenixServerProject/ ... ssues/3708

Did a single test with a shaman without 3/8 T2 and around +550 heal power:
1161 - 793 - 634 ... supposed to be: 1161 - 581 - 290
With 3/8 T2 and +520 heal power:
1110 - 901 - 722 ... supposed to be: 1110 - 722 - 469

More things are fucked with full T1, guess making this more public would eventually enforce the devs to apply a fix.

I found the 71% scaling on the initial to be true, the 35% on the first bounce seems to be accurate aswell but the 2nd bounce falls off.

As for the mp5 on trash, well I assumed you would be downranking to the maximum anyway on most MC trash at least (since the OP is in blues and would most likely start off there), by max downranking I mean ch1 and hw4, as soon as you would have to use higher ranks to avoid deaths, you would of course have to swap heal power gear in.
Aslan wrote:You need as much heal power gear to not let anyone die when using the most efficient spells (downranked spells need to heal a decent amount more), the rest you can store into mp5.
Scar - Endurance
Aslan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Schoof » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:12 am

Aslan wrote:Healing focus is highly useful for any kind of damage you take, possible fights: Lucifron, Magmadar, Gehennas, Shazzrah, Sulfuron, Golemagg, Majordomo, Ragnaros, Razorgore, Vael, Flamegore, Chromaggus, Nefarian.. Every boss in the entire content apart of a few exeptions? :D.

As for full resto I wouldn't try anything other than this as a bare minimum http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#hZxZEcxtVeqo (2 points remaining)

Thanks! I'll prob respec into that build sooner rather than later, I have not noticed any problems without Healing Focus but I probably got lucky so far or didn't notice it. :)

Aslan wrote:Measuring a healer as individual is hard since healing is a team effort and you only see the outcome of the team itself, no healing meters in the world would show you who is performing good and who is performing bad inside a healing team. By good I mean "right" and by bad I mean "wrong" rather. You can be terribly wrong with good healing throughput and delightfully right in doing choices even when having the least efficient heal per second.
Check this: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=28259 for more details (the comments).

That's a really helpful topic, was good to read through! I notice I have about the same 'problems' as the OP of that topic: I just watch the raid frames and try to cast Chain Heal when I can.
A lot of the times though somebody else is already healing / starts to heal after I started casting my chain heal and heals my initials target before I can. But I guess that is very difficult to overcome.

---

And I'll keep both my hp and mp5 gear in my bags and switch when I think it's necessary. Yesterday I did a LBRS run with my full mp5 gear and I only had to drink after bosses and when there was being overpulled. That was quite efficient! :)
Schoof
Grunt
Grunt

by Zanbaka » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:51 pm

Aslan wrote: But about this ring, please dont tell me you calculate shit like 1mp5 = 7 healpower = 5 intellect... Egregious in honour but thats based on a 6+ minute fight with AQ/naxx gear, also much too straight forward and not taking nostalrius specific server bugs into account. Demonic guild surely is awesome on trash, razorgore, nef, if you are ever out of mana pots and dark runes (then you got other issues :D), disregarding your assignement.

But if you are to chainheal I wouldnt use them, if you are to single target heal Id prolly use them on longer fights... Its all about switching. Ofc Vael is THE one fight to illustrate that you need full heal power gear to swap in and out :).

Can't believe I somehow missed this post, but I also think the 1 MP5 = 5 int = 7 heal is a bit dodgy, because the first two are only useful in fights where you go OOM (and even then, you can just downrank with more +heal if needed). Also, I believe that on that server (Emerald Dream?) Chain Heal was also bugged and healed more than intended, so I don't know if he actually took that into account in the equation. Only thing that kinda sucks is that the other healing classes get prio on the +heal items (like Boots of Pure Thought, Jindo's Evil Eye etc.) so it may be hard to get them.

On another note, what is your opinion of using ZHC http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=19950 as a shaman? I actually saw some high end players wear it, and can imagine that it has it's uses especially during times when you need some burst healing (especially in AoE damage situations), but do you think it is worth it to use them over the other trinkets?
Zanbaka
Grunt
Grunt

by Aslan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:42 pm

Well the same chainheal bug seems to apply here. int gives crit and somehow boosts your chainheal bounces as they generally dont heal the target full, but can be negated. Wouldnt see mp5 as only something to boost you to not go oom but also as a tool of sustaining andn ot causing downtime to your raid.. Making the pace in harsh environments is key to clear a raid fast, especially something like mc and ZG where its a constant "run from trashpack A to trashpack B".

About that trinket.. Im really unsure if the chain heals eat up the charges, which would make it really bad even as burst prevention trinket. Wouldnt use it anyway for any sort of efficiency. Maybe on vael if you lack elternatives like the shaman bwl trinket.
Scar - Endurance
Aslan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Zanbaka » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:45 pm

Aslan wrote:Well the same chainheal bug seems to apply here. int gives crit and somehow boosts your chainheal bounces as they generally dont heal the target full, but can be negated. Wouldnt see mp5 as only something to boost you to not go oom but also as a tool of sustaining andn ot causing downtime to your raid.. Making the pace in harsh environments is key to clear a raid fast, especially something like mc and ZG where its a constant "run from trashpack A to trashpack B".

About that trinket.. Im really unsure if the chain heals eat up the charges, which would make it really bad even as burst prevention trinket. Wouldnt use it anyway for any sort of efficiency. Maybe on vael if you lack elternatives like the shaman bwl trinket.

Idk, I'm sorry if I keep on nagging about this, but I really think there's hardly any benefit in using MP5 heavy gear over mixed gear or +heal gear for the following reasons:

1. The mana gained by drinking (700 MP5 with the mage 55 water) completely dwarfs the MP5 gained by gear. Even with constant pulling, more often than not you will have a few seconds that you can drink, and even in combat you can continue drinking (if you briefly leave combat that is), since the mobs are usually pulled backwards to a certain spot. Not to mention that the only trash in MC that need some serious healing are the packs in Shazzrah's room, and in ZG the Gurubashi Berserkers and packs in Hakkar's temple. So even if half of the healers are sitting flat on their ass drinking, there should be more than enough heal power remaining.

2. With higher +heal gear, you can use lower rank spells more often, and also have to heal less frequently to get the same amount of healing in. This also makes it easier to make use of the 5 second rule and thus you regain more mana then.

3. At lower item levels (pre-raid BiS level where the OP should be at now), items either have a lot of MP5 or +heal (save from Whipvine Cord). So if you would decide to go more MP5 heavy, your healing will be really pathetic and thus will need to use higher rank spells (see point 2). At higher item levels there are more items that have both MP5 and healing (like Salamander Scale Pants, Gauntlets of Ten Storms, Rejuvenating Gem etc.) so at least then can be a more viable option I think. Not to mention that with full MP5 buffs you can get an extra 32 MP5 in (brilliant mana oil, mageblood elixir, nightfin soup), whereas it's pretty hard to find +spell dmg buffs.

TL:DR I think MP5 is highly overrated in low-mid game content, even for trash mobs
Zanbaka
Grunt
Grunt

by Aslan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:05 pm

Hey man

Always love different attitudes but I think we have the same... Just cross talk a little.

1.) Well, idk your guild but as soon as MC's become sub 50 minutes, it should be a little tougher. Also never pull backwards in MC imo, pull + run towards the mob, meet in the middle to limit time in combat (can therefore be quite pressuring to make the pace, always be upfront, never stay behind, have your totems with you as a lower geared person). You basically cant whisper around, tab out, or be only halfway focused anymore without being carried. Its what means to be a fast clearing guild... having enough ppl that make the pace (check trash dps to check for mob uptime and who slacks). But now to no2, which I think brings us back on the same level again.

2.) Agree with that fully, especially because of the chain heal bug. BUT what if you cant downrank further and as you correctly said, for exemple in MC there are few occasions where you really need more heal throughput (prolly never).
So what can you do if you cant downrank further. You are right 100 mp5 is slim to compared to drinking but its something. Combine 10 small things and you get a big difference in the end. I would always favorise healpower + downranking > mp5 + using higher ranks as you suggested.

3.) You are probably right there if your whole guild is fresh in MC, the tank takes more damage, and everyone runs around with blues, you would essentially have to use higher ranks and before that you would obviously upgrade your gear towards more +heal.

By the way, since you mentionned the 5 second rule: The best way to heal something like MC trash should still be creating 2 groups out of your healers, letting team A "rest" and team B heal and switch after every other pack. The ultimate goal would be that the resting team positions themselves upfront already and prepares for the next pull, not sit in the back and drink. I mean for 1 trash pack you wouldnt spend more mana than you could re-gain from simply waiting until the 2nd trash pack is cleared which the other team had to heal through.
Scar - Endurance
Aslan
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Previous

Return to Shaman