raiding as elemental but staying in melee range

raiding as elemental but staying in melee range

by thugnif » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:54 am

(ok this may be stupid so i apologize for wasting your time)

Hey shamans,

I was wondering if any theory crafting has been done with playing a mix of ele/enhance in raids. The game has been out for 10+ years, and haven't heard of anything about it (maybe because its stupid)

I noticed when casting lightning bolts while auto attacking, you hit with your weapon as soon as your done casting as long as your in melee range. I also noticed a few talents down elemental which help melee aswell.

Mix the right talents, the right gear/enchants, the right play style could this be viable?

Again, i know the game has been out for 10+ years... so the ins and outs of everything should be know, so i dont expect much out of this

Thank you for your time
thugnif
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: raiding as elemental but staying in melee range

by Rafale » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:40 am

i'm interested about that.
Rafale
Sergeant
Sergeant

by anrey » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:24 am

Hand of Edward odd
anrey
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Turbonado » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:47 pm

I'd assume not getting that auto attack in would be a waste, unless you specifically need to range something.

I'd assume it would be the same for enhance too, twisting a bolt in between each weapon swing with a slow enough weapon.

But then again I don't see mages or warlocks whacking away with a staff between casts
Turbonado
Grunt
Grunt

by Killstick » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:15 am

anrey wrote:Hand of Edward odd

Proc rate on this wouldn't really increase your dps more than something with spelldmg on it.

Turbonado wrote:I'd assume not getting that auto attack in would be a waste, unless you specifically need to range something.

I'd assume it would be the same for enhance too, twisting a bolt in between each weapon swing with a slow enough weapon.

But then again I don't see mages or warlocks whacking away with a staff between casts

If as a shaman you would be constantly casting shocks/bolts you will be oom very fast. Not even pots would make up for this. I think extended periodes with only melee would be needed to let spirit regen kick in. Also shamans do have stronger melee damage than casters due to being able to weild 2H maces and axes and weapon enchants.

You could try it but i think it would require an imense investment in gear/consumables. On top of that i think some bosses are immune to either nature or fire. You really are gimping a raid if you can't perform optimal on all bosses.

Would also be a very weird build imo http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#hE0uE0GqoxV0z don't know what to put the last 4 points in tbh
Killstick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Lingon » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:28 pm

I think only Shaman and druid offensive spells can do this, as all other classes get their weapon attack timers reset when completing a cast.

If you get the talents to get melee crit, you might as well get Flurry too and use those flurries' to get a mana break.

Edit: Testing it seems to work for mages as well, and warlocks. Did not work for priest (mind blast and smite anyway). Did not work with healing spells on druid/shaman.
Lingon
Grunt
Grunt

by gangstanigga » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:14 pm

elemental is not caster and enhance is not melee. ya combine both methods of gameplay, you want elemental fury (21 ele) and weapon mastery (30 enh). this way your spells crit hard and you can still benefit from melee stats/WF procs while getting a clearcast from rank 1 earthshock to throw out a CL if you want. inb4 enh shaman in full rogue leather tells me he does more damage than a ele/enh shaman wearing mail with INT and sp (protip you don't)
yo moma so fat she carried both teams
gangstanigga
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by squishums » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:59 am

gangstanigga wrote:elemental is not caster and enhance is not melee. ya combine both methods of gameplay, you want elemental fury (21 ele) and weapon mastery (30 enh). this way your spells crit hard and you can still benefit from melee stats/WF procs while getting a clearcast from rank 1 earthshock to throw out a CL if you want. inb4 enh shaman in full rogue leather tells me he does more damage than a ele/enh shaman wearing mail with INT and sp (protip you don't)

The problem with that though is that you dont have lightning mastery. Clearcast or not, casting a CL will be horribly slow. I think without lightning mastery, you mightaswell just be regular enhancement.

I think you have to complete the elemental tree, and include elemental devastation. From there, you just have to compare 20 points in resto with 20 points in enhancement/extra-elemental points.

Resto gives 3% spell hit, 3% melee hit, 5% spell crit (excluding shocks), and 25% less totem cost.

Enhancement gives 5% melee crit, access to 2H weapons, and flurry (basically you get 1 extra attack over time if you get a melee crit)

Honestly I think the best thing might just be 31/0/20 with a sweet staff. Sure staffs suck, but imagine your staff has 3% hit on it (by pretending the resto talents actually come from your staff, instead of being a trade-off forcing you to use a staff), suddenly it looks a bit better. If you skip reverberation, you can get call of flame, so your fire totems are 25% less costly and 15% more potent. I dont feel reverberation is that important when you could use your precious mana to CL/LB more (which has 10% more crit chance if you have 20 points in resto). In a mana-intensive situation, I think r1 earthshock is the best thing to use, so reverberation doesnt increase your dps directly at all (only helps through procing more stuff). And in a situation that is not mana-intensive, you can just spam LB/CL anyway.
squishums
Private
Private

by Killstick » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:54 am

yeaaaah

Someone go test thisss maaaann.

1: Ele/resto + staff: Spam all your shit CL/LB/ max rank shock/Fire totem and melee till you get mana back
2: Ele/resto + staff: Spam all your shit but lowest rank shock
3/4: Ele/Enh; same scenarios as above but just switch to a nice 2H axe/mace when you go melee

I don't think this will be viable tbh. The testing alone would be hard to do in a raid environement. I think you need someone with 5/8 T2 to test this.
Killstick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Return to Shaman