PvP: orc or tauren?

by thugnif » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:42 pm

Which is master shaman pvp race?
thugnif
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: PvP: orc or tauren?

by varth » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:29 pm

Depends on what spec you plan on pvping with, I'd give orc the advantage for enhance, tauren for resto/elemental.
varth
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Killstick » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:44 am

Orc: Attack Power racial and Stun resist
Tauren: +5% HP and 2 sec AoE stun

As enhance;
- Orc for sum bigger WFs when racial is up (can backfire with the healing debuff)
- You need to stick to the target so the stun resist can really help
- Warstomp gives you a stun which you normally lack for extra CC, interupt in between earthshock CDs for example. Can be used to get off a free heal. Can be used for 1 sec Ghost Wolf get aways. You are "always" in melee range so you should always be able to get this off.

As ele;
- Orc racial will "never" be used
- Stun resist is still good, but you will have a shield most likely and you don't need to stick to your target because of ranged attacks. The stun resist imo becomes more valuable if you are healer/back up healer
- Warstomp gives you the same as for enhance but it also gives you a nice opportunity for a rofl burst. Drop fire nova, shock, stomp, CL etc etc. But you won't be in melee that often so does require a bit more planning to pull off.

Sooooooo no clear winner

- The stun resist makes Orc a more consistent race to pick for BGs for both specs
- Tauren will give you more of an edge in 1v1 situations
Killstick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Aethelwulf » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:42 pm

Tauren, hands down. You can already break a stun with your PvP trinket and if you carry Living Action Potions you can break a second stun with that. There's no need to depend on a 25% stun resistance proc as a Shaman. The Tauren racial War Stomp doesn't GCD so it gives you 2 seconds of free, uninterrupted casting time. It's like a lesser racial Nature's Swiftness, and NS is the strongest Shaman talent. Enhance can get a guaranteed LHW with War Stomp (which is extremely valuable), and Ele can even cast Lightning Bolt or Chain Lightning with a War Stomp. In BGs, a stun is still good to have and WS can even be used as an AoE stun in cramped spaces, plus the +5% max health from going Tauren should not be neglected either.

WS isn't always guaranteed, but usually enemies fall into the following categories:
1) Those who you want to melee (even as ele, occasionally) - ie. mages, priests, etc.
2) Those who want to melee you - ie. rogues, warriors, paladins
3) Hunters who you want to deadzone.
If it isn't #3, there are decent odds you can war stomp them.

It is also worth noting that the Orc attack power racial is bad because it only increases base AP and it halves your healing.
Last edited by Aethelwulf on Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aethelwulf
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Auronk » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:28 am

Rogue or mage. Reroll if you want to be good in pvp. Unless you're healing you're going to get trashed by almost any other class 90% of the time. Even then, there are better pvp healers than shaman.
Auronk
Grunt
Grunt

by Killstick » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:02 am

Auronk wrote:Rogue or mage. Reroll if you want to be good in pvp. Unless you're healing you're going to get trashed by almost any other class 90% of the time. Even then, there are better pvp healers than shaman.

So hard for some people to just answer a simple question.

If you think shaman gets trashed you just havn't seen a good one or arn't good with them yourself. You can 1v1 alot of classes, you can bring alot to a group. So why are shamans bad at PvP. The only thing i could agree on is too many shamans going BG as enhancement, because its too much RNG and they go oom too fast and die easy. But 30/0/21 is by no means a shitspec/class for 1v1 or BG
Killstick
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Igniter » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:00 pm

Well, I've played both races at 60 in retail and I believe I can give you an honest, unbiased opinion on the matter.

I used to be a die hard Orc fan so of course I went with an Orc Shaman. Stun resist was amazing even though I really didn't tell much but I remember in duels people would complain about me resisting their stuns, etc. I really enjoyed the movement and how epic armor would fit an Orc Shaman. Then I decided to go elemental and I was enjoying it very much. I realized with talents that chain lighting would be casting in 1.5 seconds! I realized that a Tauren's War Stomp lasts 2 seconds and started to think how nice it would be to bust out a nice burst with Wa Stomp + CL or even yet, dish out a LHW when in low health. I began ignoring the facts but one day I decided to reroll on a new server and to finally kill my curiosity I created a Tauren Shaman.

Since day one I started to love Tauren because of how useful War Stomp is. It has saved me in so many situations and it's on a swift 2-minute timer which is very convenient in PvP. You must remember that in Vanilla, a Shaman has no CC, disorient, or stun. War Stomp is a godly racial that is so useful in many situations. One more thing that you must consider is that War Stomp is an AoE so it can stuns multiple targets up to 4-5 I believe and with improved Ghost Wold you can escape a nasty ganking in world PvP.

So in conclusion if you are trying to be the best 1v1 I would choose Tauren no doubt.

Orc only if you really like them for looks and possibly as a PvP healer but even then I still stand strong that Tauren is better because with more HP and a stun racial you will have more options to either dish out more damage or to survive/escape complex situations.

Good luck with your choice!
-Grand Marshal Fowler 60 Paladin - Kil'Jaeden
-60 Orc Shaman Xrave 19/11/21 - Kil'Jaeden
Igniter
Private
Private

Return to Shaman