Re: Shaman tank Talent build

by AidanNaut » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:51 am

It seems to work for me whenever i emergency backup tank my dungeon runs
AidanNaut
Private
Private

by Mizu » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:36 pm

KTM uses built-in values, which is exactly why it's useful for comparison. The addon correctly applies a 2x threat modifier to Earth Shock (though it notably fails to add bonus threat to Rockbiter Weapon, because even though the modifier is in the files, whatever KTM used to detect your weapon imbue might have broke in one of the later patches).

The point is that you can pull threat off the Earth Shock user as though it were a 1:1 damage:threat ratio, which is why it's inconsistent with what KTM shows in the screenshot. My warrior (in battle stance) pulled the mob despite having much lower threat, and you can test this out yourself without even using the addon, just doing the math. MaNGOS, being based on TBC, lacks the threat modifiers because that's when they were officially removed.

Code: Select all
   ["earthshock"] =
   {   
      class = "shaman",
      multiplier = 2.0,
   },

Code: Select all
-- These are the DPS modifiers for ranks of rockbiter. Whenever a hit lands with a rockbiter weapon, the added threat
-- equals the speed of the weapon times the rockbiter value, e.g. 72 dps for max rank.
--! This variable is referenced by these modules: combat, my,
me.rockbiter =
{
   [1] = 6,  --  1
   [2] = 10, --  8
   [3] = 16, -- 16
   [4] = 27, -- 24
   [5] = 41, -- 34
   [6] = 55, -- 44
   [7] = 72, -- 54
}

Taken from KTM_Data.lua
Mizu
Grunt
Grunt

by Dr. Doom » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:14 pm

Now I get it. Misunderstood the screenshot, apologies. You are entirely right there.

Guess I am headed for the bugtracker now. Thanks for taking the time.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Mizu » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:21 pm

Your life's gonna get way easier if/when they fix that :D
Mizu
Grunt
Grunt

by Mizu » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:57 pm

Hopefully they don't ignore it like they did mine back when Nost first launched.
Mizu
Grunt
Grunt

by Dr. Doom » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:24 pm

Mizu wrote:Hopefully they don't ignore it like they did mine back when Nost first launched.

I'm cautiously optimistic about it.
Warlock searing pain was bugged before as well not applying the 2.0 threat it should. It took well over a month, but it finally was fixed:
https://report.nostalrius.org/plugins/tracker/?aid=2607

This means they have the technical capability to correct threat modifiers on specific moves. If they don't do it, I'll take it as a deliberate lack of interest, or worse, interest in it remaining bugged.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by djc4567 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:14 am

Do you have to be a Tauren for this build to work or can you can you pull it off as an Orc or Troll as well?
djc4567
Tester

by Baby Seal » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:43 pm

djc, Tauren is good for war stomp to give you some time in case you get adds or need to heal. 5% max health too, but that is probably unnoticeable until later than I've gotten. Troll could be very good for dungeons with beasts, I would think (looking at you WC).

Dr. Doom, Mizu: that's super depressing, although makes me feel less bad about having threat troubles against lots of mobs. I've definitely been able to hold and even pull threat with a single earth shock, but I guess that's because it is a burst of damage. I'll run a test and report also next time i log in. Tanking on a Shaman is the only reason I want to play vanilla. Are there other servers where these abilities aren't bugged?

I started over, trying a resto ancestral healing route. Going to stack agility for flurry and intellect for AH, spec will be http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#hZVV00vxzZVf0x0xo to start so I can cast heals while tanking early on (which may help with aoe threat), plus the extra crit to heals for AH and chain lightning aoe threat, an instant cast CD, and reinc as a tanking cd (or a res and heal the crap out of next highest threat cd to save a wipe). last 5 points can go a lot of places.

I may also try http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#hE0zxcZVV00txzZVf, though I lose the crit and some flurry.

I tanked RFC with a fast dagger, went pretty smoothly, 1 wipe, 3 deaths, I was level 15. Not enough points to really try out this build yet, but I'll update any way.
Baby Seal
Tester

by Dr. Doom » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:57 pm

djc4567 wrote:Do you have to be a Tauren for this build to work or can you can you pull it off as an Orc or Troll as well?

No you don't have to.
You'll probably want to not use Blood Fury due to the self inflicted mortal strike (just like orc warrior tanks don't get to use it), and you might want to scour for good 1h axes to make use of the +5 weapon skill.

Berserking will always be a good thing to use for attack speed in tandem with rockbiter and extra damage on beasts might be useful as well.

Tauren of course helps the most (although I truthfully chose it because it's my favourite looking Horde race) I use all the side perks to pull my tanking, both by having warstomp mitigate damage and give a good window of opportunity to land auto attacks on multiple targets, and the extra stamina.

I also have engineering for bombs (help to lessen the burden of lacking a multitarget move akin to cleave/demo shout/battle shout, swipe/demo roar, or consecration), and other trinkets. I did another Gnomeregan run yesterday, using a Gnomish Universal Remote as 2nd trinket (using my Insignia of the Horde to get rid of snares as first trinket). Managing to root an elite mob, or MC it so it takes the brunt of the damage while my team kills the other ads, and then getting all the MC threat piled on to me when I cut the mind control, was pretty good. Engi is a thing any race can get.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Shaman