Enhancement Shaman PvP Spec?

Re: Enhancement Shaman PvP Spec?

by Aethelwulf » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:09 am

The laziest way to guarantee a combo like that is to start with a nade and follow up with the rest. If his pummel is on CD you could also War Stomp into the combo. And if his Intercept is on CD then you can just Frost Shock + Earthbind, make your distance, and combo him. You combo when the opening presents itself.

Against Mages and Warlocks you can say that 5 second Earth Shocks are important (which they are), but the ability to do a burst damage combo from a distance is highly valuable too, considering the likelihood of you getting kited. You still have an 8 second grounding totem which lowers the danger of ugly spells landing on you and if you are playing those casters you should also have a Searing Totem up for the pushback. In terms of interrupting their casts the longer shock CD does hurt but NS gives you much better ranged combat in exchange.

You keep focusing on NS as contributing just a chain lightning. You're forgetting what ZHC does for the whole combo and even after that it still has some leftover for Lightning Shield, future shocks, self-heals etc. With NS you can afford to pack a ZHC. Without it, I doubt you're going to get one, and the ZHC affects more than just the NS cast.

+20% damage on a single Earth Shock and two lightning shield charges isn't impressing me. Unless you are going for some ungodly Stormstrike+Stomp+Trinket+CL+Nade+LB+Shock combo I'm not really seeing the bonus nature damage from a Stormstrike doing things. And in that case the enemy still has a 0.5 second window to break your CL with some kind of interrupt and another second to interrupt your nade. And with Stormstrike you are still suffering from Enhance's number 1 weakness which is that you can get kited silly.
Aethelwulf
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by wiseoldenemy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:39 pm

That burst combo is just unreliable in PvP with the 3 second casts, even with nade. Warlocks will silence you for sure with felhunter anyway, warriors will zerker rage the nade, against mage they will blink the nade, and I don't need it as I don't really get kited with proper ghost wolf frost nova baits and well placed grounding totems. And... did you say grounding totem is 8 second cooldown? where did you get that from. It's 15 second cooldown, 13 seconds with talents last time I checked. Anyway, getting combos like that off just isn't possible against someone good.

If you are getting kited its important to be doing the max possible damage you can when you connect, which is why you should be getting stormstrike anyway. 20% more damage to earth/lightning shield is quite a lot since it's regular.
wiseoldenemy
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Aethelwulf » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:19 pm

Internal CD on Grounding Totem itself is 10 seconds, since it only breaks when it absorbs a damaging spell. Now that you mention it I may have been misreading the Guardian Totems talent. Also, Chain Lightning is not a 3 second cast. It's a 2.5 second cast. As for the combo, you can also bait a counterspell and possibly ground it (rank 1 GoA is great to fake a Grounding Totem) then just cast the combo normally. And maybe the mage doesn't save his blink for a nade and uses it to keep his distance from the enhance shaman. Really all you need is an opportunity to trinket Chain Lightning someone and the rest follows naturally. Alternatively you can just trinket NS+CL (or LB if your spelldamage breaks 553)+Shock. Not as strong as it would have been with the double lightning but that's still an easy combo for at least 1.3k damage not counting the shields. Or you can Trinket+NS+HW if you need a self-heal and enjoy the trinket on the next few things you cast, like Lightning Shield and shocks.

If you are getting kited, you can't always guarantee you connect in time and there are so very many ways to kite and CC an Enhance Shaman.
Aethelwulf
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Previous

Return to Shaman