Shaman Professions

Shaman Professions

by enzym » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:12 am

Greetings!

I am a level 8 shaman unsure of what professions to get. I have 'three' various pairs i want to go for.
Number 1 being LW+Skin.
Number 2 being mining+BS
number 3 being mining/herb/skin+enchanting. (more of an alternative, continue to read)

When, and if, I get to 60 i'm gonna do both pve and pvp, but with a gun to my head i'd say mostly pvp

What it all goes down to is basicly, is LW or BS best for a shaman, considering you go from leather to mail at 40. I know both of them can do mail items at higher skill, but which one would be best? I'm gonna be an enhancement shaman :)

Thanks and have a good one
enzym
Private
Private

Re: Shaman Professions

by Kailas » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:51 am

Hey !

I suggest do the following:

Take mining and skinning. Level to 60 gather a bunch of mats an than go

1. Engineer
2. Whatever you think will be useful to your guild (you only really need one to two active players with per crafting profession in a guild) or herbalisam if you do not intend to lvl another char for gathering proffesions ( You can afford mining materials with selling herbs and you need herbs for conusmables). TBH getting someone to craft the gear you need is a lot easier/cheaper than leveling a profession just so you can craft yourself two - three items.

Also before you start your grind for pre-raid bis i suggest dropping one profession for enchanting (or go with a friend) to do DE all the items you do not need and will acquire during your pre-raid bis farming and than replace it with whatever you need once you gather some materials for your enchants.

Why ? You will need enchanting materials, materials for gear and materials for consumables.

Engineering is king of WoW.

Regards,
Kailas
Kailas
Kailas
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by pete4613 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:05 am

enzym wrote:Greetings!

I am a level 8 shaman unsure of what professions to get. I have 'three' various pairs i want to go for.
Number 1 being LW+Skin.
Number 2 being mining+BS
number 3 being mining/herb/skin+enchanting. (more of an alternative, continue to read)

When, and if, I get to 60 i'm gonna do both pve and pvp, but with a gun to my head i'd say mostly pvp

What it all goes down to is basicly, is LW or BS best for a shaman, considering you go from leather to mail at 40. I know both of them can do mail items at higher skill, but which one would be best? I'm gonna be an enhancement shaman :)

Thanks and have a good one

Well engineering has always been a fun but yet expensive profession, but come on.... bombs.

Anyway if you look for a more eco friendly profession, herb/ alch is your call.
pete4613
Sergeant
Sergeant

by 2pumpchumpp » Tue May 12, 2015 5:48 pm

Kailas wrote:Take mining and skinning. Level to 60 gather a bunch of mats an than go

1. Engineer
2. Whatever you think will be useful to your guild (you only really need one to two active players with per crafting profession in a guild) or herbalisam if you do not intend to lvl another char for gathering proffesions ( You can afford mining materials with selling herbs and you need herbs for conusmables). TBH getting someone to craft the gear you need is a lot easier/cheaper than leveling a profession just so you can craft yourself two - three items.

Wow. I was reading around the forums but came across really good advice. Never thought of that, that's absolutely true, why would you want to spend tons of money and resources to level a profession when you could gather said resources yourself, sell the ones you don't need, keep the ones you DO need, and pay a small fee to someone who has already done all the hard work to make said gear for you with the materials you provided. From now on, I will make sure not to pick up Tailoring, Leatherworking, or Blacksmithing on ANY of my toons. They never helped me while I was leveling (stuff that drops from mobs and dungeons has always been better than any expensive crap I could make at the time), and I only need them for endgame. The only one that you really HAVE to have to benefit from is engineering (also for enchanting and alchemy, but much more true for engineering).

Thanks for that, man!
2pumpchumpp
Grunt
Grunt

by Azik » Fri May 15, 2015 4:36 am

Or, you know, you can pick a crafting prof because its....fun...?

I personally enjoy the long process of hunting around the world for mats, and finally crafting a rare/uncommon item for my character's use.

Traveling to STV and farming shadowcat hides, diving for pearls on the west coast of Desolace, slaughtering murlocs for their thick scales near Southshore, it all helps me enjoy the scale of the world and the scope of WoW.

Part of vanilla for me is taking the time to enjoy the little things in WoW, rather than rushing to 60 and trying to be gold efficient (crafting rare items at level 35 is not profitable or time-wise). Even though I will out-level and replace that item eventually, it's satisfying to actually be able to create my own useful armor/weapons!
Azik
Tester

by 2pumpchumpp » Fri May 15, 2015 5:38 pm

Azik wrote:Or, you know, you can pick a crafting prof because its....fun...?

I personally enjoy the long process of hunting around the world for mats, and finally crafting a rare/uncommon item for my character's use.

Traveling to STV and farming shadowcat hides, diving for pearls on the west coast of Desolace, slaughtering murlocs for their thick scales near Southshore, it all helps me enjoy the scale of the world and the scope of WoW.

Part of vanilla for me is taking the time to enjoy the little things in WoW, rather than rushing to 60 and trying to be gold efficient (crafting rare items at level 35 is not profitable or time-wise). Even though I will out-level and replace that item eventually, it's satisfying to actually be able to create my own useful armor/weapons!

You can still do all that WITHOUT leveling a profession. Just look up the gear you want, check out the materials required, gather all the materials with your gathering profession, then post a message in Trade chat that you're looking for X profession person to craft X item for you - mats provided, will tip (something of that nature). People will gladly do it most of the time because professions are difficult to level at higher levels and that will give them an extra point without having to farm the resources and money.
2pumpchumpp
Grunt
Grunt

by ShaqPack » Thu May 21, 2015 4:39 pm

If you're not sure you may want to go herb/alch. It's almost as good as engineering, sure with engineering you get a few pvp trinkets and bombs (bombs are expensive as hell usually), but the potions you can make are just as good in PvP, free action, swiftness, healing or mana, and you don't have to worry about coming up with money all of the time, as you would if you had two crafting professions. And if you do get bored, you can make money doing transmutes each day so you can eventually pick up engineering down the road.

Plus if you raid at all, alchemy is where it's at, as the later raids end up being consumable heavy.

The crafting professions are sort of fun at times, but you end up spending a lot of time crafting stuff that you won't actually need if you're leveling proficiently, and as someone else mentioned, it really is just easier asking a guildie to craft the stuff for you as opposed to getting the profession yourself.
ShaqPack
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Shaman