Are vanilla paladins really that bad?

Are vanilla paladins really that bad?

by JackBoosh » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi Nost,

I've been thinking of rolling a retri paladin as I've never played one on a vanilla server before, my question is are retri paladins really as fucked as people say they are? Am I never gonna get a group unless I heal? Any level 60 paladins who can share their experiences?

Thanks
JackBoosh
Private
Private

Re: Are vanilla paladins really that bad?

by Dongabhana » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:26 pm

There's this retri dwarf named Kazgul running around Field of Strife in AV. He completely destroys me every time. I've started crying when he gets near.
So i'd think they're viable for pvp. You should consider rolling holy for pve.

kind regards
Last edited by Dongabhana on Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I thought this was a dating site?
Dongabhana
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Ancestroll » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:27 pm

Hi, I'm not 60 but 40, and I'm fear for the HL.
Currently Pala ret is opti just for the pvp, with good good stuff. But for pve, in pala, we cant do anything, just heal. And I hate heal. Better dps than us, better tank than us.
But it's fun to play, and 40 mount is a great present.
Ancestroll
Private
Private

by Zaft » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:29 pm

Viable in PvP with great gear, complete shit and a nuisance to your team without.

If you really want to make it work play holy to rank 14, then reroll retri.
Zaft
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Voltog » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:43 pm

Moved topic to Paladin section!
Voltog
Game Master
Game Master

by earelith » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:15 pm

If you play with friends, dont worry. Level 60 dungeons can be completed either you play retri or prot. You may not have the damage of a mage, but you bring great utility to the group.

Random groups, always want thongs done fast and edficient. So they will chose other classes. If you play alone, you can also find a casual guild and be nice and i am sure you will always earn spot for dungeons.

If you want to join a serious raiding guild, then you will have to be holy or roll an alt...
earelith
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by smilkovpetko » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:53 pm

These are just assumption if PVE Ret or Prot are bad.

They are not bad at all . It is just some people don't accept changes and still live in nostalgic times without any practice .

I am personally Protection Paladin and have done 15/15 Naxx in Retail Vanilla (everything else cleared) .
While in another Vanilla server today with so many haters toward protection Paladin to prove them wrong i have done 10/15 naxx and everything else cleared too.

All the bosses are made with scenario to use 1 Protection Paladin at least in raid while trash clearing goes so easy due to "aoe" control and easy focus for healers on 1 target instead people overaggro.

Retribution is Burst Machine and because of its complexity of hybrid itemization and build is real challenge so not many accept to practice and allow to test.

But from my personal Experience Retribution is Excellent or i can say Best Trash Damage Dealers in Raid if you build it proper and this boost the raid clearing which is mostly wasting time for progressing.

Maybe weak on single Target "non undead" but when it is a question of killing Undeads in Naxx Future Patch "with hope that nostalrius will keep fixing all the abilities for that" The Paladin can be Damage whore killing bosses due it's Exorcism and amazing "Aoe" on certain bosses/trash .
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Blvke » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:35 pm

The pvp legends, the pve babbies. Holy is fine, prot fine for dungeons. Retribution is so much fucking fun in pvp and leveling is a faceroll too. Leveling one right now.
Blvke
Tester

by JCarrill0 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:40 pm

I have played a paladin as my main class for 10 years.
Vanilla Paladins primary role was always healing.
Prot is awesome if you spent a huge amount of time on getting the right items. The itemization wasn't made for prot Paladins to tank until the TBC era, but I have seen plenty of players pull it off in vanilla. I used plenty of prot Paladins for aoe trash tanking in raids and had a lot of fun with it.
As for retribution, well it's amazing for pvp and they have a lot of burst damage! While I have seen plenty of them do pve, they all agree it's more of pvp they really shine.
JCarrillo - Highlord of <Heroes of Terenas>
JCarrill0
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Two » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:30 am

Paladins during vanilla were mistaken as "the class that 10 year olds play cause they get divine protection", while in fact the Paladin is one of the more complex classes to play if you want to get it done right.

The primary role of a Paladin is support (hence the annoying buffs), with specialization in heal, tank or dps. As all hybrid classes did during vanilla, a Paladin cannot out-deal a pure DPS class, nor be a better tank than a warrior or a better healer than a priest. However using all of your class skills appropriately, the sum of all parts is where Paladins shine.

Imagine a situation where the tank does a bad pull and the healer dies. If you have a mage in group at this point he might be able to kite/dps the remaining mobs if he is super-skilled. With a Paladin in the group he can just toss a few heals/LoH on the tank, replacing the dead healer for the moment, or just BoP the healer to prevent his death in the first place.

Problem during vanilla was that most ppl and especially raid leaders were completely overwhelmed if a class had more than one skill to consider. So instead of using all the Paladin's abilities most players just stood there (usually advised by the RL to do so) and spammed Flash of Light till eternity, while an auto-buff addon was running in the background.
Two
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Paladin