Holy paladin tanking? Better than prot paladin?

Holy paladin tanking? Better than prot paladin?

by Dr. Doom » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:42 pm

Recently comparing builds and results with a friend, regarding paladin tanking, it has come to our attention that for most trash packs and the majority of bosses, groups seem to be more comfortable with a holy paladin wearing full mail/plate + shield, than a warrior-emulating protection paladin.

It's simple, by having a 31/20/0 build, the paladin I've used can not only holy shock for a very decent amount of threat, but my higher intellect allows for judgement of righteousness to crit frequently, as well as my mana bar allowing for a near constant uptime on consecration. Furthermore, having 5/5 Focus + concentration aura has allowed me at times to simply spam heal myself with no pushback, keeping consistent threat and helping the healer while at it, again due to a very sizable mana bar.

On the contrary, the strength/agility stacking suggested for the protection paladin, as well as a build relying on Divine Strength, all too reminiscent of protection warrior, leaves my friend's protection paladin with a pitifully small mana bar, no immediate threat moves like holy shock, minimal capacity of threat from self-heal. The plus side seems to be, that having BoSanc + chain spam holy shield allows for very decent thorns damage coupled with retribution aura, yet I'm not entirely sure if that is really better than my alternative.

Thoughts?
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Re: Holy paladin tanking? Better than prot paladin?

by smilkovpetko » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:52 pm

Recently comparing builds and results with a friend, regarding paladin tanking, it has come to our attention that for most trash packs and the majority of bosses, groups seem to be more comfortable with a holy paladin wearing full mail/plate + shield, than a warrior-emulating protection paladin.

Feel free to see how it work as Protection Paladin

https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=22875

the paladin I've used can not only holy shock for a very decent amount of threat

Holy Shield does 20 times more threats than Holy Shock and is surviving tool either.

but my higher intellect allows for judgement of righteousness to crit frequently,

Intellect you can still take even when you are prot.

as well as my mana bar allowing for a near constant uptime on consecration.

You can still have 100% max rank uptime as Protection too

Furthermore, having 5/5 Focus + concentration aura has allowed me at times to simply spam heal myself with no pushback, keeping consistent threat and helping the healer while at it, again due to a very sizable mana bar.

That's the Healers job , if they are bad , no point in trying to.

leaves my friend's protection paladin with a pitifully small mana bar, no immediate threat moves like holy shock,

Mana is never issue if you know how to play it , immediate threats is Judgement of Righteousness (will never resist) holy shock can still resist .

The plus side seems to be, that having BoSanc + chain spam holy shield

How did you got Holy Shield with 20 points on prot??? It is 31 Point talent in the tree.

Thoughts?

Your spec is not better Tanking than Protection Paladin , neither more Aggro .

Your spec is to support in raids buffing people with sanctuary and heal + sometime aoe assist . That's all.

You can tank with that spec, but will be lesser efficient than prot, neither better than Pure Protection Paladin
Last edited by smilkovpetko on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Scarnavax » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:08 pm

no i dont think is viable untill tbc (shockadin spec rulez). holy paladin MAY offtank some 10 man raid but nothing more... if you put for tanking gear (plate with +def) u loose heal power (int spirit and +healing power) which make undoable.
Scarnavax
Grunt
Grunt

by Dr. Doom » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:48 pm

Scarnavax wrote:no i dont think is viable untill tbc (shockadin spec rulez). holy paladin MAY offtank some 10 man raid but nothing more... if you put for tanking gear (plate with +def) u loose heal power (int spirit and +healing power) which make undoable.

Is defense stacking really a good way to go considering Redoubt and Reckoning both need you getting crit?
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by smilkovpetko » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:20 am

Dr. Doom wrote:
Scarnavax wrote:no i dont think is viable untill tbc (shockadin spec rulez). holy paladin MAY offtank some 10 man raid but nothing more... if you put for tanking gear (plate with +def) u loose heal power (int spirit and +healing power) which make undoable.

Is defense stacking really a good way to go considering Redoubt and Reckoning both need you getting crit?

Unless you tank Raid Boss, defense is useless.
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Dr. Doom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:04 am

smilkovpetko wrote:
Dr. Doom wrote:

Unless you tank Raid Boss, defense is useless.

Agreed there.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by stif » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:12 am

how can stacking intelect can be better than strenght right now if consecration scales with atackpower right now.
stif
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by JCarrill0 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:04 am

stif wrote:how can stacking intelect can be better than strenght right now if consecration scales with atackpower right now.

good point. Duki?
JCarrillo - Highlord of <Heroes of Terenas>
JCarrill0
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by smilkovpetko » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:00 am

-

edited by duki (couldn't delete)
Last edited by smilkovpetko on Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by smilkovpetko » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:02 am

JCarrill0 wrote:
stif wrote:how can stacking intelect can be better than strenght right now if consecration scales with atackpower right now.

good point. Duki?

Intellect for protection is almost useless but not completely.

Ofc it is last stat but much weaker than Strength .

About mana we don't have issue if we are using our abilities proper , so intellect have 0 value there.

That was my tough and i stand still there :

Your spec is not better Tanking than Protection Paladin , neither more Aggro .

Your spec is to support in raids buffing people with sanctuary and heal + sometime aoe assist . That's all.

You can tank with that spec, but will be lesser efficient than prot, neither better than Pure Protection Paladin

Tank stats priority = Def cap > Stamina > dodge/parry > block > strength > agility > armor > mp5 > intellect.

mandatory stats = def cap > stamina ,
secondary stats = dodge/parry > block
optional stats = strength > agility > armor > mp5 > intellect.
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Next

Return to Paladin