Newb Questions

Newb Questions

by killa162 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:41 am

So there's a few question I have. Mind you all these questions are to be answered as if you're playing on Alliance.

1. Race
a.) What is the better race? For Holy spec specifically.

2. Ease of the class
a.) For someone who never played classic, is leveling a paladin a cake walk?

b.) Once max and finally healing, is healing in classic more or less difficult than say Wrath/Cata?

3. Turn Around? / Suggestions - Continuation to #2
a.) [No] If you said this class isn't a cake walk to level, then what class is fun in classic, but is noob friendly without a lot of deaths to level to max? (Currently leveling a hunter)

b.) [Yes] If you did say it was a cake walk, how good is shockadin for pvp since I'm guessing the gear exchanges over to the spec I'm guessing. And if it doesn't what else is there to do with your Holy paladin once it's leveled other than wait for raid night/dungeons/world pvp. Is it basically just a walking healbot for raids and rendered useless elsewhere? Are holydins a "desired" class to have in anything other than raiding?

a.) Just kidding, you're finished answering questions, have a cookie! :)
Rangrim - Dwarf - Hunter - [Alliance] <Tinker Town Mafia> [PvP Server]
killa162
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Newb Questions

by DrearyYew » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:28 pm

1. a) There's no real advantage from being either race. Stoneform can be nice to remove Blind in PvP, but if you are doing what you should be doing, you'll have sacrifice up on a target, meaning Blind won't have any effect anyways.

2. a) Paladin is the 2nd longest class to level. You'll be spending a lot of time tabbed out while you auto attack a target to death, so it isn't really hard, it's just tedious. This goes for any class, really, with the exception of Warrior which can actually be difficult at times.

b) Healing is easier in the sense that you have a lot less buttons and more defined roles, but harder in the sense that you don't really have big healing cooldowns, and the margin for error is much smaller than in later expansions.

3. a) In terms of leveling speed without AoE farming, Hunter > Druid > Warlock > Priest > Mage > Rogue > Paladin > Warrior. Keep in mind that Mage shoots up to probably 2nd fastest is AoE farming, but it is painfully boring to AoE farm that much.

b) Shockadin is very viable for PvP, and there are a few variants... mainly 2H Shock Ret or the traditional Mace/Shield Shockadin. Obviously the 2H Shock Ret focuses more on burst. However, Shockadin is by far the most gear dependent spec in the game, and isn't really doable until you have R10 gear. To PvP to R10, you pretty muich have to healbot, which will get you into Premades extremely easily if you are good.

Holy Paladins are desired in all points of the game. HPalas are by miles the best PvP healer, nothing even comes close. Horde got superior PvP racials, Alliance got Paladins. It balances out, really.
Dreary - Human "Needs No Mana" Holy Paladin
DrearyYew
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by stif » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:16 am

I will just take a cookie
stif
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by killa162 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:33 am

DrearyYew wrote:1. a) There's no real advantage from being either race. Stoneform can be nice to remove Blind in PvP, but if you are doing what you should be doing, you'll have sacrifice up on a target, meaning Blind won't have any effect anyways.

2. a) Paladin is the 2nd longest class to level. You'll be spending a lot of time tabbed out while you auto attack a target to death, so it isn't really hard, it's just tedious. This goes for any class, really, with the exception of Warrior which can actually be difficult at times.

b) Healing is easier in the sense that you have a lot less buttons and more defined roles, but harder in the sense that you don't really have big healing cooldowns, and the margin for error is much smaller than in later expansions.

3. a) In terms of leveling speed without AoE farming, Hunter > Druid > Warlock > Priest > Mage > Rogue > Paladin > Warrior. Keep in mind that Mage shoots up to probably 2nd fastest is AoE farming, but it is painfully boring to AoE farm that much.

b) Shockadin is very viable for PvP, and there are a few variants... mainly 2H Shock Ret or the traditional Mace/Shield Shockadin. Obviously the 2H Shock Ret focuses more on burst. However, Shockadin is by far the most gear dependent spec in the game, and isn't really doable until you have R10 gear. To PvP to R10, you pretty muich have to healbot, which will get you into Premades extremely easily if you are good.

Holy Paladins are desired in all points of the game. HPalas are by miles the best PvP healer, nothing even comes close. Horde got superior PvP racials, Alliance got Paladins. It balances out, really.

Thanks for the info, helped a lot man. :)

stif wrote:I will just take a cookie

Oatmeal Raisin
Last edited by killa162 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
killa162
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Levinas » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:39 am

DrearyYew wrote:Horde got superior PvP racials, Alliance got Paladins. It balances out, really.

Hardly.

Endgame PvP is just R14/AQ40/Naxx-geared Alliance Warriors with pally support shitting all over Horde premades. It's really simple actually and Hardiness/WotF is not going to help one bit.

I also don't say this from someone that is bitter. Vanilla PvP is just dumb like that. Dumb, but fun.

:)
Greatness, at any cost.
Levinas
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by killa162 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:54 am

Levinas wrote:
DrearyYew wrote:Horde got superior PvP racials, Alliance got Paladins. It balances out, really.

Hardly.

Endgame PvP is just R14/AQ40/Naxx-geared Alliance Warriors with pally support shitting all over Horde premades. It's really simple actually and Hardiness/WotF is not going to help one bit.

I also don't say this from someone that is bitter. Vanilla PvP is just dumb like that. Dumb, but fun.

:)

It's dumb just like Daoc PvP but fun at same time. But ofc geared stuff will truck thru anything.
killa162
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Kasen » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:04 am

Imo, Holy shock is pretty mediocre because of it's 30 sec cooldown.
You can choose Reckoning over it.
Kasen
Sergeant
Sergeant

by killa162 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:11 pm

Kasen wrote:Imo, Holy shock is pretty mediocre because of it's 30 sec cooldown.
You can choose Reckoning over it.

Just looked at a talent tree. So how would you build reckoning then? 2h or sword and board since your going down prot to get it. And just pick up one hand spec for extra dmg from 1h'ers?

(Probably terrible spec building but I'm not a Vanilla player but would it look like this maybe?)
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#sxV0rZEGzcc0EZV
killa162
Sergeant
Sergeant

by rooik » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:11 pm

https://en.nostalrius.org/talents/palad ... 0000000000

holyreck, can mix around abit with a few talents depending on your playstyle (pvp obv)
<NOPE>
rooik
Grunt
Grunt

by Kasen » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:32 pm

killa162 wrote:Just looked at a talent tree. So how would you build reckoning then? 2h or sword and board since your going down prot to get it. And just pick up one hand spec for extra dmg from 1h'ers?

(Probably terrible spec building but I'm not a Vanilla player but would it look like this maybe?)
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#sxV0rZEGzcc0EZV

I'm sticking to my own spec, however you need to be decently geared for the things to go right. You may find it a bit too PvE-oriented because I tried to grab everything. And yes, reckoning is all about solid 2h weapons.
Here is my current spec 25/26/0, which is extremely versatile - Holy Reckadin of the Sanctuary :D
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#sE0urxkZVGuhczx
Firstly, you can still heal a lot, because core talents like Illumination, Healing Light and Divine Favor are present.
In case the raid leader is still not happy - you can throw the Blessing of the Sanctuary in his face, solidly justifying your raid spot.
Secondly, the prot tree talents such as Redoubt, Toughness and Improved Righteous Fury allow you to tank 5 mans, however, a more or less solid healer is needed.
At last but not least - PvP. Yes, the infamous Reckoning is here :) + Guardian Favor and Improved HoJ sweeten the whole deal.

All in all, there main idea is going up to Divine Favor in Holy Tree and Blessing of the Sanctuary + Reckbomb in prot. Once you reach those talents there are still some points left for you to play around and put them where you like.
Kasen
Sergeant
Sergeant

Next

Return to Paladin