1.0/Early vanilla paladin tanking tree

1.0/Early vanilla paladin tanking tree

by Dr. Doom » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:47 am

Was tinkering with the web archive pages, and decided to check how would paladin tanking would go in the early days. The very unorthodox distribution makes it rough, and I find myself unable to link the build by any other way other than screenshot.

Here is the base:
http://web.archive.org/web/201109131720 ... =1124125_2

The main possibility that I see is:

Since Redoubt isn't a pre-requirement for shield spec, and the idea I'd guess is to get enough defence to never get crit, seems pointless to get it in this iteration, while devo aura at least can be used with some frequency. Although BoSanc is weaker here too, seems like getting a flat dmg reduction can still be of use to a class that lacks the 0.9 dmg calculation of def stance. Imp Blessing of Salvation seems fairly minor and could be skipped, but needed 2 points to get 1h weapon spec, and the other options seemed worse, specially since reckoning would aso be rendered useless if crit immune.

Retribution's 3rd tier adds +10 defence and +5% parry, so I specced enough points to get both, and also got Consecration, giving some use to the Benediction as the spell counts as retri in this version.

A secondary build that I tried to design, merely to have a 2nd version to present and not because I believe in it, would be this:

This one sacrifices consecration, as well as the +10 def and +5% parry, in order to max the holy dmg form SoR and adding in Sanctity Aura for a further increase. Why?

Seal of Fury working like this,
Fills the Paladin with divine fury for 30 sec, allowing melee attacks to cause additional threat. Only one Seal can be active on the Paladin at any one time.

Unleashing this Seal's energy will judge an enemy for 30 sec, causing Holy damage spells cast on that enemy to generate additional threat. Only one Judgment per Paladin can be active at any one time.

Means that you can either just keep autoattacking with Seal of Fury (since the +threat is applied to regular melee white swings), or use Judgement of Fury and perhaps use Seal of Righteousness+Sanctity for a decent chunk of holy dmg, which would then get the bonus threat. I'm entirely unaware which path leads to better threat, so this second build is just here to ponder on that possibility (while acknowledging losing the AoE spell + avoidance loss probably means it's inferior). The other holy talents were picked simply to make way to the latter talents, but I'd guess having a free mana-refunded crit heal on command could be useful at certain points.

Feedback please.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Re: 1.0/Early vanilla paladin tanking tree

by ihealwarrior » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:21 pm

your screenshots have blacked out background on my screen, cant see the icons.
ihealwarrior
Private
Private

by Dr. Doom » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:14 pm

ihealwarrior wrote:your screenshots have blacked out background on my screen, cant see the icons.

Hmm odd.
Try "copy image location" (or something along those lines depending on your browser) and then paste it on a new tab.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Dr. Doom » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:43 pm

A bit more information on the previous mechanics:

http://paladin-guide.blogspot.com.co/20 ... nking.html

In 1.8 patch paladins have seal of fury and judgement of fury. These 2 abilities work (like every other seal and judgement) on single target. They don't have any physical damage effect but simply influence aggro.

Seal of fury + 90 threat points added every time you hit a mob with weapon.
Judgement of fury + 337 (!!) threat point added every time you deal holy damage to the mob with the judgement on it.

If you used seal of fury with a fast one hand weapon, every time you hit you get 90 extra threat point in addition to your damage indipendently how much the damage was. Your threat points could easily double your real damage. But judgement was incredibly better. Every time you dealt holy damage you get 337 extra threat points indipendently how much the damage was. Let's make a pratical example: start with retribution aura on and seal of fury and then when entering in combat immediately judge it (30 sec judgement of fury starting) and cast seal of righteousness. Then spam consecration. Now let's do some math.

In the first 30 seconds of combat you get as threat points:

your weapon damage
your seal of righteousness damage plus 337 every time it procs (in 1.8 SoR don't proc every time but very often).
337 damage every tick of consecration. In 30 sec you can easily spam it 3 times so 24 ticks * 337 = 8088 threat points.
20+337 threat points every time the mob hits you from retribution aura
paladin with shield equipped and holy shield talent get damage plus 337 every holy shield charge proc.

As you can see was easy get huge amount of threat in a short time interval. Paladin tanking was effective. However it had a weak point. Worked only on single target. Paladin had no tools for multiple target tanking except the damage from consecration.

Seems that favouring Righteousness with JoF woud be the better way to go at it. Given that bonus threat is a flat addition, not dependent on damage, the second build I suggested is entirely useless as I made it under the assumption an increase in holy damage would be concomitant with an increase in holy bonus threat.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by JCarrill0 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:02 pm

is there anyways you can detail out these builds?
Screenshots come up blank and black, so it's hard to see or understand.

I get your tinkering, not sure what for (as in purpose) but I could follow along if I had more details based on each talent description and each tier.
JCarrillo - Highlord of <Heroes of Terenas>
JCarrill0
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Dr. Doom » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:10 pm

JCarrill0 wrote:is there anyways you can detail out these builds?
Screenshots come up blank and black, so it's hard to see or understand.

I get your tinkering, not sure what for (as in purpose) but I could follow along if I had more details based on each talent description and each tier.

Ah, there's no ulterior reason. It's just to pass the time.
Secondarily it could help to understand for reference/historical purposes how pre-1.9 paladin tanking was done, compared to later Vanilla.

These are the original talent trees:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050305034 ... ti=Paladin
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Dr. Doom » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:28 pm

With the new information I gathered regading threat additions, I think I would roll something like this (Assuming main tanking is the goal, and therefore def stacking renders both redoubt and reckoning useless):

Protection Mastery
Improved Seal of Fury Rank 5
Holy Shield Rank 1
Toughness Rank 5
One-Handed Weapon Specialization Rank 1
Blessing of Sanctuary Rank 1
Improved Blessing of Protection Rank 2
Improved Blessing of Salvation Rank 2
Improved Devotion Aura Rank 5
Shield Specialization Rank 5
Protection Total: 27

Retribution Mastery
Consecration Rank 1
Deflection Rank 5
Anticipation Rank 5
Precision Rank 3
Benediction Rank 5
Improved Blessing of Might Rank 5
Retribution Total: 24

Total
Total Points Spent: 51
Level Required: 60
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by JCarrill0 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:44 am

cool and thanks! Normally my comments are brought with negativity. Thanks for doing this.
I have the original strategy guide, perhaps I can look this stuff up myself and help ya out a bit (if you need it)
JCarrillo - Highlord of <Heroes of Terenas>
JCarrill0
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Dr. Doom » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:48 am

JCarrill0 wrote:cool and thanks! Normally my comments are brought with negativity. Thanks for doing this.now what was seal of fury again?
I have the original strategy guide, perhaps I can look this stuff up myself and help ya out a bit (if you need it)

I had posted the description of the spell just above, but here it is:
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Seal_of_Fury
Fills the Paladin with divine fury for 30 sec, allowing melee attacks to cause additional threat. Only one Seal can be active on the Paladin at any one time.

Unleashing this Seal's energy will judge an enemy for 30 seconds, causing Holy damage spells cast on that enemy to generate additional threat. Only one Judgement per Paladin can be active at any one time."

The longer quote 3-4 posts ago was something I found more recently that attempts to detail what are the threat bonuses and how do they work for both seal and judgement.
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by smilkovpetko » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:01 am

that is the reason why people been using rank 1 consecration ,threat was based of "each swing/tick" regardless of the damage.
/Wisdom is Priority
/Activity is Skill
/Skill is gear
smilkovpetko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

Next

Return to Paladin