[PvP] The BiS for the current content (updated for 1.8!)

Re: The BiS for the current content (updated for 1.7 and ZG!

by vinceyoung » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:12 pm

ejthemovie wrote:Just curious as to the Value of Warlord's Shoulders for Mages, according to Theorycraft on bosses with 140 Resistance to Fire/Frost - 75 from CoE, the 10 spell pen should be equivelant to approx 27 spellpower in my gear. Wondering how the values work @Lazermon or anybody else competent enough to answer this question.

Not sure if this is correct but according to this link 10 spell pen is worth roughly 2.5% increased damage provided that the mob has resistance to penetrate.

http://vanillagaming.org/forum/index.php?topic=15951.0

I think right now spell pen is not useful since I can't recall ever getting a partial resist on bosses in MC/BWL. However I am not sure what amount of resistances these bosses have, it must be that their resistance does not exceed 85 (total resistance penetrated by coe + arcane subtly). I am not sure about bosses in Naxx and AQ40 but I imagine that some bosses will have 85+ resist in which case spell pen would be extremely valuable if it does infact add 2.5% increased damage per 10 resistances penetrated.
vinceyoung
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Lazermon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:34 pm

Without doublechecking things, you either hit or miss a spell. If you do hit and the spell isn't binary, resistance comes into play. Frostbolt is binary so it's irrelevant right now. Even if it IS relevant, the bosses I've checked has had 0 frost resistance.

When we begin using fireball (which isn't binary), spell pen might be within our interests if CoE and arcane subtetly is not enough to bring mob resistances to 0. I know there's a macro to check mob resistances but I can't recall the code off the top of my head, it should be used on the bosses to check.

As always, we aren't playing on an authentic wow server, don't expect things to work the way internet says it should work. Check the resistances on every boss, and if relevant, make sure the additional spell pen on gear makes the difference it mathematically should. The relevant information should come trickling in to us when they open a test for AQ40, so we should be prepared for it before it hits live.

Assume spell pen will continue to be absolutely worthless in PVE.
- AQ40 When?
- GRIZZLY Cineplex Regular
- Level 4 <Dankk Budz Collective> Memer
- Level 5 <GRIZZLY> Officer
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Dreez » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:21 pm

/run ChatFrame1:AddMessage(UnitResistance("target", 4))
0 - (Physical) - Armor rating
1 - (Holy)
2 - (Fire)
3 - (Nature)
4 - (Frost)
5 - (Shadow)
6 - (Arcane)

on players this will only return spell resistance through gear, buffs seem to not be included
Dreez - PvP server
<Endzeit>
Dreez
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Gnoggin » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:57 pm

An Eternal Crown of Frozen Wrath seems to be significantly better than Bloodvine Goggles. A perfect crown has +41 to frost spell power, whereas the goggles have +2% hit, +1% crit and some mp5.

Let's assume a pre-raid mage has +250 spell power, 20% crit (with winter's chill up) and 3/3 piercing ice.
Base frostbolt damage (naked): 473
With 250 sp: 688
With 20% crit: 825.6
With Piercing ice: 875

So base dps: 875/2.5 = 350

So stat weightings look like this:
+10 spellpower:
24 frostbolts per min
(10 * 24 * 0.86)/60 = 3.44 dps

+1% crit:
(688 * 1.21 * 1.06)/2.5 = 352.97 so 2.97 dps

+1% hit
+875 damage/100 frostbolts
+210 damage/24 frostbolts
210/60 = 3.5dps

So the extra dps given by Bloodvine Goggles is 2hit + 1crit = 2*3.5 + 2.97 = 9.97
Whereas the Eternal Crown of Frozen Wrath is 41 sp = 4.1 * 3.44 = 14.104
Making the crown 41% better than the goggles.
Gnoggin
Private
Private

by Lazermon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:21 am

didn't really look at your math, but I agree the eternal crown is better, the goggles are a remnant from when I overvalued hit and crit. Changed.
- AQ40 When?
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Dreez » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:38 am

I'll guess we'll need an update on sunday
Mindtear Band
*hype*
Dreez - PvP server
<Endzeit>
Dreez
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Lazermon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:20 pm

hype!
- AQ40 When?
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: [PvP] The BiS for the current content (updated for 1.8!)

by Dreez » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:56 pm

Lazermon wrote:Ring 2: Mindtear Band (Taerar, Duskwood)

just a small update, world dragon spawn location is random. The databases are wrong on that one
Dreez - PvP server
<Endzeit>
Dreez
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Shakuur » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:51 pm

Could a Frost Damage equivalent for these gloves be BiS when paired with Mantle of the Blackwing Cabal?

http://imgur.com/0FEb0Cc

29 + 9 + 34 = 72 Spell Damage

Or are these gloves bugged in a way that only gives the 9 spell damage or the 29 spell damage like Celestial Orb?

If the 1% crit from the shoulders = 10 spell damage then the total SD of the pvp shoulder and gloves set would be 15 + 18 + 23 + 10 = 66 Spell damage

And for Fire spec if 1% crit = 15 spell damage then the total SD of the PvP shoulder and gloves set would be 15 + 18 + 23 + 15 = 71 Spell Damage
Shakuur
Private
Private

by Lazermon » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:46 pm

as far as I know, they can't roll frost.

if they aren't bugged, they would be interesting for aq40.
- AQ40 When?
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to Mage