[PvP] The BiS for the current content (updated for 1.8!)

Re: [PvP] The BiS for the current content (updated for 1.8!)

by Lazermon » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:22 pm

it would depend on the value of crit. with ignite always giving you the damage it should give you, the r10/7 combo gives you 5/6th of a crit while enigma boots + blackwing cabal gives you 9 sp. it's a super small difference either way. without world buffs and without flask, the difference is 0,04 SP. Then again the cheaper option is clearly the r10/7 way.
- AQ40 When?
- GRIZZLY Cineplex Regular
- Level 4 <Dankk Budz Collective> Memer
- Level 5 <GRIZZLY> Officer
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Youfie » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:58 pm

Lazermon wrote:Then we have Enigma Shoulderpads vs Mantle of the Blackwing Cabal, where we need to figure out if spellpen does anything at all, and if it does, how much. the difference here is 10 spell pen vs 4 SP.

Some things may not be in the game on release, and if that's the case, things will have to be adjusted. Hopefully the aq40 PTR will give more information on boss resistances and items.

Hey,

If that's of any help, this EJ post suggests that if everything is scripted properly here (i.e. bosses have the correct amount of resistance), most if not all of them won't have enough removable resist for CoE / CoS not to put them to 0 resistance already, causing Spell Penetration to be a plain useless stat in a raid environment (assuming the curses are up), and more of a PvP stat.

http://forums.elitistjerks.com/forums/t ... netration/
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Dervin20 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:14 pm

Crit is much more valuable than 210% because of rolling ignites.
Dervin20
Sergeant
Sergeant

by sumail » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:38 pm

Ignite is not so easy to model. You basically have to look at crit from the standpoint of raid dps and not individual dps. Crits attributed to the mage will only count as x1.5 but a crit will also refresh the ignite timer (or start the ignite).

Let's say all mages in your raid crit and hit for the same amount for simplicity. First 5 crits become the 5 ignite stack. Then all crits after that refresh the ignite stack ensuring that it will tick 1 more time. 1 tick is 20% of each of the crits. Since there are 5 crits, 0.20*5 = 1 so the ignite ticks for 1.5x Fireball hit damage.

So if you crit to ensure a 5 stack ignite will tick again then you basically do x1.5 from your crit damage + x1.5x from the ignite tick assuming no other mages crit. That would be like a x3 crit multiplier for that crit (ie x1.5*Fireball + x1.5*Fireball = x3.0*Fireball). Let's say another mage crits then you can think of it as you both share credit for ensuring an extra ignite tick so 1.5x + 1.5x / 2 = 2.25x multiplier. Next would be if 3 mages crit 1.5x + 1.5x/3 = 2. As you can see as more mages crit the effectiveness of crit diminishes.

Another thing to note is that the ignite tick will actually be higher than 1.5x since the ignite will get scaled up by damage multipliers. The initial crit gets scaled up then the ignite tick scales up.

Also the ignite sort of depends on if the mages are casting in sync or not. If all mages attack 100% in sync then the ignite will eventually fall off. For example:

t is the time stamp (s)

t = 0 CRIT occurs
t = 2 ignite
t = 3 CRIT occurs
t = 4 ignite
t = 6 ignite CRIT occurs
t = 8 ignite

So at t= 6 you have to assume either the crit happened first or the ignite happened first. If the crit happens after the tick then the ignite stack will fall off and the crit will start a new stack. If the crit happens before the tick then the stack will stay but then it will fall off at t = 8 since the previous crit counted towards two ignite ticks.
sumail
Grunt
Grunt

by Proxdox » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:45 am

Hey guys, noob here from PVP nost. Was wondering if there was a good spreadsheet to show items for comparison. I am mostly unsure about the raid tier gear from MC/zg/ony and whether certain pieces are actually upgrades. I am aware of the pre-raid BIS and the raid BIS, but it's those funky substitute pieces and the tier stuff that has me a little confused. I am often unsure whether something is an upgrade or not. I am currently learning the math, and plan to make my own spreadsheet, but I am in a raiding situation right now, so I'm wondering if you guys could help me out while I am learning. I'm just not far enough along yet to understand what I need. (I never played vanilla and just started playing about a week ago, never played retail that much either, so I apologize for being an idiot!).

I have found a few spreadsheets, but they don't seem to be correct, or don't really detail the comparisons in the tier vs. the other pieces.

My gear currently consists of:

Head- Hexxers Cover
Neck- Jeklik's Opaline Talisman
Shoulder- Boreal Mantle
Cape- Eternal Cloak of Frozen Wrath (+21)
Chest- Bloodvine
Wrist- Elegant Bracers of frozen wrath (+21)
Hands- Frostweave Gloves
Belt- Stormpike Cloth Girdle
Pants- Bloodvine
Boots- Bloodvine
Ring- Maiden's Circlex2
Trink- Eye of beast
Trink- Zanadalarian Hero Charm
Weap- Elemental Mage Staff
Wand- Wand of biting cold

I am currently using 31/0/20 AP frost spec
Proxdox
Private
Private

by Lazermon » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:58 pm

that looks just fine to me, I would focus on getting a briarwood reed. Most of the upgrades you'l find by this stage will be fairly obvious.
- AQ40 When?
- GRIZZLY Cineplex Regular
- Level 4 <Dankk Budz Collective> Memer
- Level 5 <GRIZZLY> Officer
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Proxdox » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:00 pm

Is the reed much better than the hero charm?
Proxdox
Private
Private

by Dreez » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:05 pm

Proxdox wrote:Is the reed much better than the hero charm?

pretty equal but easier to acquire
Dreez - PvP server
<Endzeit>
Dreez
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Proxdox » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:09 pm

Dreez wrote:pretty equal but easier to acquire

Ah, Lazer was suggesting I get the Reed based on my gear post above, but I actually thought the zg trinket was equal or better (which I already have). This is where I'm not really sure how to do the math. I've seen the reed trinket drop about 4 times now, but I never win it.
Proxdox
Private
Private

by vinceyoung » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:27 pm

I think the reed suggestion was for replacing eye of the beast not ZHC.
vinceyoung
Sergeant
Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Mage