[PvP] The BiS for the current content (updated for 1.8!)

Re: The real mage BiS for the current content (pre dire maul

by Lazermon » Sun May 24, 2015 3:56 am

Knart wrote:I know this is about gear but was wondering lazer if you would link your spec possibly or let me know if you have 3 points in frost channeling?

There really only are two specs (pre aq40), arcane power and winter's chill, both only allow ~1-2 points of personal choice, both specs have 3 points in frost channeling.
- AQ40 When?
- GRIZZLY Cineplex Regular
- Level 4 <Dankk Budz Collective> Memer
- Level 5 <GRIZZLY> Officer
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: The real mage BiS for the current content (updated for D

by Lazermon » Sat May 30, 2015 12:37 pm

Updated for Dire Maul!

I also realized an error in the BiS list, R12 gloves in combination with R10 shoulders gives you a ~16 int and 30 stam boost over the alternative, corrected that.
Last edited by Lazermon on Sun May 31, 2015 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
- AQ40 When?
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by PanTheSatyr » Sat May 30, 2015 11:52 pm

Thanks for the updates!
PvP Realm
Malachic - Lv 60 Mage (Frost)
Malapriest - Lv 60 Priest (Heals)
Malahunt - Lv 60 Hunter (Bang/Twang)

♫ Dance with Pan and Drink with Bacchus! ♫
PanTheSatyr
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Astixium » Sun May 31, 2015 1:04 am

Great job once again, keep it up!
Astixium - Level 60 Undead Mage.
Class Leader of <Purge>.
Astixium
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: The BiS for the current content (updated for DM!)

by Lazermon » Sun May 31, 2015 9:35 am

I've been looking a long time at the waist + helm issue, and I would like to clarify whats going on there. I am virtually spelldamage capped with my current gear, there are no upgrades in the game except for the rank 14 staff that can improve my spelldamage, so I can pretty much consider my hit and crit values to represent the "BiS" values. Fully flasked, my average frostbolt hits for ~1040 damage according to my calculations, and the experience I've had actually playing flasked makes me think that is correct.

I find clutch of andros for me to be ~1 spelldamage better than oddly magical belt (1 hit for me is ~13,85 with flask, 1 crit is ~9,3 with flask, making clutch worth ~17 spelldamage)

The value on the belt if I'm not flasked, however, is ~14,29 spelldamage, making it worse than oddly magical belt assuming you are saving your flasks for BWL.

Then we have the arcanist crown + arcanist belt, which is essentially 18 spelldamage and 2% crit (1% crit + 61 int), AKA 36,6 SP flasked, and 33,66 SP if I'm not flasked. Compare that to Dragonskin cowl + Clutch of andros which is 17 from belt and 20,3 from the cowl AKA 37,3 SP flasked, and 16(replacing clutch with oddly magical belt here)+19,95 = 35,95 SP not flasked.

As you can see, the differences are minimal, and you can still argue for the Tier 1 combination in both a flasked and unflasked scenario since T1 has 405 (+24 spirit) more mana than clutch+cowl and 690 more mana (+24 spirit) than oddly magical + cowl.

405 mana tends to be 2 more frostbolts before you oom, 690 is 3 more before you oom. It could seem unimportant, but it might be the difference between having to cast evocation or not, netting you one more frostbolt.

To sum things up, this shit is so close that you have to look at your own avg frostbolt value and admit that some minor miscalculations are probably occuring, but in scenarios where you aren't flasking, I would personally recommend the Tier1 for shorter fights where you can possibly dodge an evoc, and go for cowl + belt for longer fights where that static mana wont help you much and the tiny spelldamage difference can build up over time.

Ofcourse, if you actually find yourself going out of mana on any fight, the tier1 combination is the given choice. I'm assuming this is never the case though.
- AQ40 When?
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Molten » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:08 am

Would also add Lethendris´s Wand from DM East (which I thought should not be in-game?) - it is 5+SP, and a lot easier to get than the two superior options.
Molten
Grunt
Grunt

by Lazermon » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:51 am

Molten wrote:Would also add Lethendris´s Wand from DM East (which I thought should not be in-game?) - it is 5+SP, and a lot easier to get than the two superior options.

Added.
- AQ40 When?
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Nostradamus » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:03 pm

What about gloves of spell mastery?

http://db.valkyrie-wow.org/?item=14146

How do they compare to hands of power?`

Kind regards
Nostradamus
Private
Private

by Lazermon » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:26 pm

Nostradamus wrote:What about gloves of spell mastery?

http://db.valkyrie-wow.org/?item=14146

How do they compare to hands of power?`

Kind regards

Gloves of spell mastery is only theoretically comparable with hands of power in an ideal situation where you are flasked and everything. By the time you would consider opting for gloves of spell mastery over hands of power you should really have gotten rank 7 already.
- AQ40 When?
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by refreshe » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:17 pm

What's your opinion on Netherwind pants vs Skyshroud leggins? Close call?
refreshe
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Mage