[PvP] The BiS for the current content (updated for 1.8!)

Re: The real mage BiS for the current content (pre dire maul

by RosettaStoner » Thu May 07, 2015 12:00 am

So would you recommend going with something like spire of hakkar over focal sword plus stat offhand in raids Lazermon?
Respect is the name of almost every game.
RosettaStoner
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Lazermon » Thu May 07, 2015 10:50 am

I honestly dont know what's toughest, finding a staff of jordan for ~120g or grinding a spire of hakkar. I guess saving your money for something else (like a freezing band) and trying to get a spire of hakkar is one strategy to go for. It all depends on what you're actually aiming for in the game I guess.

R14 staff > Ele mage staff > Staff of Jordan > Mageblade/Blade of Eternal Darkness + Drakestone of the (int) > Mageblade/Blade of eternal Darkness + Swampchill Fetish > Inventor's focal sword + ...yadayada you get the combinations > Spire of Hakkar > Zum'rah > Spellforce Rod > Mageblade/BoED + Spirit of Aquementas > and so on...

This is of course only true for those who don't go oom during boss fights, but if you go oom during boss fights, you're a lazy fuck who can't be bothered to buy a major mana potion or two for raids, and I don't give a shit about those people. Fuckem.

edit: focal sword is crit, and the worth of crit depends on the amount of spellpower on your gear. If your gear isnt very good, I would go for a spire of hakkar (who am I kidding I would farm gold for two days and then buy a jordan).
Last edited by Lazermon on Wed May 13, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- AQ40 When?
- GRIZZLY Cineplex Regular
- Level 4 <Dankk Budz Collective> Memer
- Level 5 <GRIZZLY> Officer
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Coast » Thu May 07, 2015 6:33 pm

Yeah, with Ice Shards your crits are just 2x damage. So 1% crit raises the average damage of each spell by about 1% of the base damage value (including +damage if it's working right) of the spell. If you're plunking down 600 damage frostbolts or whatever now, every crit point raises your average damage per spell by 6. I don't know if/how spell damage scaling is working here though, so that's probably not a one to one comparison with +dmg. Still not a very favorable comparison for most of the gear choices available though.
Coast
Tester

by Lazermon » Thu May 07, 2015 8:25 pm

Coast wrote:Yeah, with Ice Shards your crits are just 2x damage. So 1% crit raises the average damage of each spell by about 1% of the base damage value (including +damage if it's working right) of the spell. If you're plunking down 600 damage frostbolts or whatever now, every crit point raises your average damage per spell by 6. I don't know if/how spell damage scaling is working here though, so that's probably not a one to one comparison with +dmg. Still not a very favorable comparison for most of the gear choices available though.

While you're close, you need to take your hit chance in consideration (the less hit the worse your crit is), and remember to multiply your math with 1,1 for curse of the elements.
- AQ40 When?
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Astixium » Tue May 12, 2015 11:31 pm

Perfect, this should be sticky ages now! Good job!
Astixium - Level 60 Undead Mage.
Class Leader of <Purge>.
Astixium
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Knart » Sun May 17, 2015 11:27 pm

Lazermon wrote:
biffsteken wrote:Inventor's Focal Sword + Spirit of Aquementas?

Is that viable?

No, there is no fight currently in the game where the mana matters enough to justify that damage loss. I don't know how good the damage are in your raids, but I currently only need to use evocate on baron geddon, and i can cancel it after the first tick. Even with a low damage raid, you shouldnt be going oom on a single fight with evocate.

(also: blade of eternal darkness from maraudon is better than Inventor's Focal Sword with the current gear available, azuresong & blade of eternal darkness are pretty much equivalent, the difference is too small to matter)

I'm guessing you have frost channeling? 3 points? Could you please link spec possibly?
Knart
Tester

by Astixium » Mon May 18, 2015 11:09 am

BTW I suggest a BWL list also, when it is released that is.
Class Leader of <Purge>.
Astixium
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Lazermon » Tue May 19, 2015 1:51 am

I will be updating the list for the current patch.
- AQ40 When?
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Astixium » Wed May 20, 2015 12:34 am

Nice! Keep up the great work. :)

If you need any help with the testing feel free to /w me ingame or something, we can use my mage for science!
Class Leader of <Purge>.
Astixium
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Knart » Sun May 24, 2015 3:39 am

I know this is about gear but was wondering lazer if you would link your spec possibly or let me know if you have 3 points in frost channeling?
Knart
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Mage