Fire mage POM pyro spec

Fire mage POM pyro spec

by Milton3450 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:51 am

I'm gonna do a pom pyro spec. prolly 21/30/0. Any tips for a good spec? For example, I'm not sure whether impact or improved fireball is best etc.. I may also want to raid to get gear for pvp but I will mainly do pvp. Can someone link their best pom pyro spec and explain why they think their chosen talents are good?
Last edited by Milton3450 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milton3450
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Fire mage POM pyro spec

by Lindow » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:02 pm

Every time I would see a PoM-Pyro mage, he'd have Arcane Power. I mean, that's the whole point, isn't it? Why would a 20/31/0 build be better than a 31/20/0? It's a genuine question. I mean, you obviously lose about 2-3% spell damage and some burst and survivability but, again, what made this build extra fun was the one shot macro.

I'm almost lvl60 and I was thinking to go PoM-Pyro to do some BGs at 60, and I had AP in mind, but now I have the doubt.
Lindow
Grunt
Grunt

by Milton3450 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:12 pm

Hmm, well I'm not sure but I think it's because of blast wave. And maybe the extra 6% crit in the deep fire tree. So you can't both have blast wave and arcane power. That's the way I see it. But I am noob in vanilla, never played :). My personal prefence would be to have blast wave to have at least some survivability/kite. But again, I never played vanilla so it is only speculation.
Milton3450
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Milton3450 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:17 pm

Also, off topic, when levelling a mage, Elemental Precision is a must some say? To get that extra -6% resist on mobs. What is base resist of a mob the same level as you, and will mobs your level still resist with 3/3 Elemental Precision?
Milton3450
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Astixium » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:13 pm

When you say PoM Pyro PvP you want this spec http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#obxy0RbquxgMzf
2 unbuffed pyroblasts alone can't kill shit alone, hell when you face decent geared people sometimes you can't even kill them with PI Pyros.
And that's what you want for PvE http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#of0E0ofquxgMzcM
But raids are either immune or highly resistant to fire so you can only use it on some dungeons.

And that's the elementalist spec most people use with 1-2 points here and there http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#oZVxGzf0uZVVMcooth but it's only for PvP and it's not as good as Deep Frost atm.
Astixium - Level 60 Undead Mage.
Class Leader of <Purge>.
Astixium
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Milton3450 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:32 pm

Astixium wrote:When you say PoM Pyro PvP you want this spec http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#obxy0RbquxgMzf
2 unbuffed pyroblasts alone can't kill shit alone, hell when you face decent geared people sometimes you can't even kill them with PI Pyros.
And that's what you want for PvE http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#of0E0ofquxgMzcM
But raids are either immune or highly resistant to fire so you can only use it on some dungeons.

And that's the elementalist spec most people use with 1-2 points here and there http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#oZVxGzf0uZVVMcooth but it's only for PvP and it's not as good as Deep Frost atm.

I like the first PoM Pyro spec. Why imporved Arcane Missiles instead of Arcane Focus? And Improved Scorch instead of Master of Elements? I guess Improved Scorch is pretty good or pretty bad? With AP I don't have Blast Wave. So for survavability I actually only have Frost Nova and CoC? How bad is that or is it ok, since I could just CoC instead of Blast Wave? How big an issue is mana in pvp and can I raid/PvE with the pvp AP PoM Pyro spec without Arcane Meditation and Master of Elements or would I OOM too fast?
Milton3450
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Astixium » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:55 pm

The point of PoM Pyro is to one shot a guy every 3 minutes, you don't care about blast wave or any form of surivability, as long as you can sheep someone and kill him in 3 seconds you're fine.
Improved Arcane Missiles are mandatory on most if not all PvP specs, it's your best spell vs all non melee classes. It doesn't lose target from feign death, it pushbacks spells like mad etc.
Improved Scorch is there to boost your PoM pyro (optional) and to make you less useless when you don't have cooldown on your PoM/AP since fireball is not something you really want to do with people on you.

The second spec is a bit more PvE oriented and, you can still PvP since it has all the basics of the 1st spec but with this one you can sustain your mana a bit better thus you have less issues in PvE. The drawback as I said before is that you can't play any fire specs on raids since bosses are immune or highly resistant but you should be fine to do some 5man dungeons.

Also one of the biggest clues about blast wave is that it's useful only with shatter in most cases, that's why Elementalist mage is a bit succesful, with Blast Wave and CoC you can burst someone inside Nova. So basically it does what you do with PoM Pyro more frequently.
Astixium - Level 60 Undead Mage.
Class Leader of <Purge>.
Astixium
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Milton3450 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:16 pm

Astixium wrote:The point of PoM Pyro is to one shot a guy every 3 minutes, you don't care about blast wave or any form of surivability, as long as you can sheep someone and kill him in 3 seconds you're fine.
Improved Arcane Missiles are mandatory on most if not all PvP specs, it's your best spell vs all non melee classes. It doesn't lose target from feign death, it pushbacks spells like mad etc.
Improved Scorch is there to boost your PoM pyro (optional) and to make you less useless when you don't have cooldown on your PoM/AP since fireball is not something you really want to do with people on you.

The second spec is a bit more PvE oriented and, you can still PvP since it has all the basics of the 1st spec but with this one you can sustain your mana a bit better thus you have less issues in PvE. The drawback as I said before is that you can't play any fire specs on raids since bosses are immune or highly resistant but you should be fine to do some 5man dungeons.

Also one of the biggest clues about blast wave is that it's useful only with shatter in most cases, that's why Elementalist mage is a bit succesful, with Blast Wave and CoC you can burst someone inside Nova. So basically it does what you do with PoM Pyro more frequently.

Thanks for this answer. It helped alot. So I will use Arcane Missiles alot against casters but it is very mana consuming right? When do I use scorch and fireball? I will not just spam arcane missiles against casters will I? Aren't Fireball and Scorch my main "filler" abilities? Yes forgot about the fire resist/immune mobs in MC/BWL raids, so I will not raid then prolly but how can I get gear for pvp then?

Edit: What is PI Pyro?
Milton3450
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Lindow » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:47 pm

Keep in mind that there's no resilience in Vanilla, so end game PvE gear is usually the best PvP gear you can get. You can do 5-mans efficiently with pretty much any spec, so go out there and get your tier 0.5 pieces, and eventually you'll be able to get some gear by ranking up in PvP.

Great answers Astixium!
Lindow
Grunt
Grunt

by Milton3450 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:57 pm

Lindow wrote:Keep in mind that there's no resilience in Vanilla, so end game PvE gear is usually the best PvP gear you can get. You can do 5-mans efficiently with pretty much any spec, so go out there and get your tier 0.5 pieces, and eventually you'll be able to get some gear by ranking up in PvP.

Great answers Astixium!

You can forget what I wrote here. I deleted it. But what is the current raid out atm? No one I asked knows. And would it be a plan for me to try to get gear from pvp until the 3rd raid is relased and join there with my fire spells?
Milton3450
Sergeant
Sergeant

Next

Return to Mage