Fire mage POM pyro spec

Re: Fire mage POM pyro spec

by Lindow » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:40 pm

Right now Ony and MC are out. I believe BWL is on the PTR, so it'll be a while until you can actually raid as a fire mage. You have all the time in the world.
Lindow
Grunt
Grunt

by Milton3450 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:43 pm

Thank you for the answers!
Milton3450
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Astixium » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:36 am

Tbh get the BiS gear from this post which is simply dungeon gear so you have some decent gear to raid with and Start PvPing, a week before BWL hits the server change to frost and start raiding, MC gear is outter garbage for mages on this patch but BWL will offer some great items to PvP with.
Astixium - Level 60 Undead Mage.
Class Leader of <Purge>.
Astixium
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Mux » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:03 am

Mux
Private
Private

by Xaeminos » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:20 pm

Here's a quick friendly tips.

If you're just going to PvP, +Stam > any other stat save for some hit % which you can get via elemental precision. That being said, if you gear up this way you'll need a whole set of gear to PvE. It's something I had to do after my grind to HWL. Also, if you plan on being serious about PvP, i wouldn't go AP/Pyro because it turns you into a 3 minute wonder and dead meat outside of that. No premade would take you.

Another thing to keep in mind is this. The chances of you being able to stand there and spam scorch or fireball are slim. If you insist, keep rank 1 frostbolt hot keyed - although the chill effect may not be as effective as a frost spec. To be fair though I did have a guy in my premade who had a full set "of fire" greens and was doing around 2k per fireball.

PvP gear isn't viable to raid mainly because of it's lack of int. You'll be OOM pretty quickly. That being said, you'll be dead meat in PvP in PvE gear due to the lack of stam.

MC tier gear as a whole is garbage for a mage. I didn't use my dkp on a single item of Tier 1. Talisman ephemeral power, 2 rings of spell power, choker of firelord, tier 2 pants, a crafted robe, and then you get the rest from rep items, AV (spellblade + offhand ), etc. i.e. +spellpower items. I don't remember because it was 10 years ago =)

Ultimately, obviously fun > anything. After my grind and when I started PvE'ing, dual trinket AP Pom Pyro one shot was fun as hell. But it certainly helped that I was geared up the wazoo =P.

Edit: Oh. And the fact that you need to go frost in BWL and MC is a fallacy.
Xaeminos
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Lindow » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:24 pm

Xaeminos wrote: Also, if you plan on being serious about PvP, i wouldn't go AP/Pyro because it turns you into a 3 minute wonder and dead meat outside of that. No premade would take you.

In solo situations, it's definitely bad when PoM-Pyro is not up. However, in BGs you're mostly fighting in group, and with proper positioning you might be able to get off a couple of fireballs here and there. I think PoM-Pyro provides great utility in WSG. Not so much in AB when you're defending a flag alone, you get sapped and don't have ice block, but it's still nice to burst down healers.

Then again, as you said, fun > everything else, and there's no denying that, even with crappy gear, one shotting people every 3 minutes is exciting.

Xaeminos wrote: Edit: Oh. And the fact that you need to go frost in BWL and MC is a fallacy.

As I said in another post, it's not that it's the only viable option, but you can put equally geared mages with opposite specs, and the frost mage will always do more damage than the fire one. Just for obvious reasons, MC and BWL mobs and bosses mitigate fire damage. Of course you can go as fire, but don't expect to top the damage meters in any fight, which should be the main goal of a mage in end game raiding.
Lindow
Grunt
Grunt

by Xaeminos » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:41 pm

Lindow wrote:
Xaeminos wrote: Also, if you plan on being serious about PvP, i wouldn't go AP/Pyro because it turns you into a 3 minute wonder and dead meat outside of that. No premade would take you.

In solo situations, it's definitely bad when PoM-Pyro is not up. However, in BGs you're mostly fighting in group, and with proper positioning you might be able to get off a couple of fireballs here and there. I think PoM-Pyro provides great utility in WSG. Not so much in AB when you're defending a flag alone, you get sapped and don't have ice block, but it's still nice to burst down healers.

Then again, as you said, fun > everything else, and there's no denying that, even with crappy gear, one shotting people every 3 minutes is exciting.

Xaeminos wrote: Edit: Oh. And the fact that you need to go frost in BWL and MC is a fallacy.

As I said in another post, it's not that it's the only viable option, but you can put equally geared mages with opposite specs, and the frost mage will always do more damage than the fire one. Just for obvious reasons, MC and BWL mobs and bosses mitigate fire damage. Of course you can go as fire, but don't expect to top the damage meters in any fight, which should be the main goal of a mage in end game raiding.

Hmm i don't remember MC/BWL that way. But again, it was a loooong time ago. There were mobs that were fire immune like the elementals, but I don't think the bosses themselves had higher fire resist. But, i could be wrong.
Xaeminos
Sergeant
Sergeant

by sebula » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:11 am

This is the spec I use: http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#oi0VbRdoZvgbzb0ux

I'm assuming this is for PvP. If your gear is complete shit, you're probably better off as frost to prevent getting mugged ever 2 seconds.

Arcane Power is stupid. 10% Fire Damage all the time > 30% damage every 3 mins with 30% increased mana cost. Plus it can be dispelled plus it makes you look like a noob.

Save PoM for when you need it, don't just use it because it's up.
sebula
Private
Private

by thiella » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:24 am

Although its an old post I comment it cause I see really bad builds for POM-Pyro and comments.

The default POM-Pyro spec is this scorch build:
http://wowsamurai.mygamesonline.org/tal ... 012301315s

In case your gear is bad you can take 1 or 2 points from Fire Power and put them at Elemental Precision.

As POM-Pyro you are practical a Fire Mage and you need to crit. That's why you need Critical Mass and Incinerate. This way your scorch and fire blast have 10% more crit. Scorch is a must cause it crits a lot and have a chance to proc Impact. Especially against healers scorch is a wonderful tool. And ofc you need Blast Wave cause you need powerful instants spells. That's why you also need Imp Arcane Explosion for 6% more crit.

If you polymorph the enemy you can cast Pyroblast, scorch, fire blast. Depending of the enemy you can you POM-Pyro (or not) and finish him with a blastwave, cone of cold, arcane blast or scorch. Ofc at pvp there is no spell order but this is the general idea.

In case you need a Fireball POM-Pyro build with no scorch you can use this:
http://wowsamurai.mygamesonline.org/tal ... 012001315s

But scorch build is better.
thiella
Sergeant
Sergeant

by secondary » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:07 pm

Firepower and Blastwave are better in the long run.
21/30/0
secondary
Sergeant
Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Mage