[Guide] Dalaran Tome of Knowledge - How to Mage

Re: [Guide] Dalaran Tome of Knowledge - How to Mage

by Ifritslol » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:52 am

I have a problem with the Arcane Explosion macro.
Basically it would cast rank 1 no matter if i'm out or in combat.

/script if PlayerFrame.onHateList then cast("Arcane Explosion") else cast("Arcane Explosion(Rank 1)") end
Ifritslol
Tester

by Zazabi » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:16 pm

Great guide! I've been playing mage for years and still managed to pick up a few tips.

Cheers!
Zazabi
Private
Private

by Youfie » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:13 am

Ifritslol wrote:I have a problem with the Arcane Explosion macro.
Basically it would cast rank 1 no matter if i'm out or in combat.

/script if PlayerFrame.onHateList then cast("Arcane Explosion") else cast("Arcane Explosion(Rank 1)") end
Code: Select all
/script if UnitAffectingCombat('player') then CastSpellByName("Arcane Explosion")  else CastSpellByName("Arcane Explosion(Rank 1)");end

Works like a charm for me.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Nothing » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:25 pm

Which PvP build would you preference? The Improved Counterspell + Ice Barrier or Presence of Mind + Fire Power? First time rolling a Mage and I'm planning to do PvP more than PvE. Couldn't decide which spec looked better versus the pro's and con's.

Nothing
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Puny » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:14 am

I'm curious, where can I find info on bosses' resistances? You mentioned that "Raid Bosses everywhere have: 145 resistance to Fire, Shadow, Frost, Arcane. 70 resistance to Nature, 15 resistance to Holy".

So I made a macro displaying the target's stats (only works on self and NPCs):
Code: Select all
/run local b={"Armor","Holy","Fire","Nature","Frost","Shadow","Arcane"} a=UnitName("target").."'s stats: " for i=0,6 do a = a..b[i+1]..": "..UnitResistance("target", i)..", " end SendChatMessage(a)

I tried it out in AQ20 on the PTR and most bosses had 15 resistance to all schools of magic except for Ossirian who skyrocketed at 500 or 1000 (dont remember exactly).
Puny
Tester

by Ana » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:21 pm

Most bosses show 15 res to all schools which probably corresponds to the innate res from level difference.

HOWEVER they still show 15 res even when relevant curse isn't up, and the amount of partial resists skyrockets... this leads me to believe the script doesn't gather accurate data (or rather, total resistance is managed by some extra variables other than what it has access to).
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Milton3450 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:24 am

I am level 39 atm and setting up binds for the future. Should I bind both rank 1 and max rank CoC?
Milton3450
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Dessel » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:13 am

Just delete the whole paragraph on spell penetration as it's faulty. There are no bosses with resistance beyond what coe removes, and the *only* indication to the contrary stem from flawed feenix implementation. For those interested, elitistjerks covered this a good 10 years ago. Also any tryhard mage would spec imp arcane explosion over magic absorption or dampen magic for pve. Mages need no luck to manage health and mana in pve.
Dessel
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Youfie » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:02 pm

Ana wrote:Most bosses show 15 res to all schools which probably corresponds to the innate res from level difference.

HOWEVER they still show 15 res even when relevant curse isn't up, and the amount of partial resists skyrockets... this leads me to believe the script doesn't gather accurate data (or rather, total resistance is managed by some extra variables other than what it has access to).

The innate non-removable level-based resists (for a level 60 caster, 8 per level difference, 24 on a raid boss) come in addition to those (removable) resists.

You can check that for instance on some level 60 trashes in ZG who have some +All Resists, but after CoE / CoS is applied you *never* get any partial resists, while some of them are 61 or more and cause you to have partial resists even when CoS / CoE are applied. Or even some other 61+ mobs who have 0 resists shown when using the AddOn / Macro to show resists (which shouldn't work in a Blizz-like environment), but against whom you still have partials.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Mage