Frost mage PvP build

Re: Frost mage PvP build

by toeshred » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:35 am

skyracer500 wrote:Instead of being aggressive, maybe you could have just said that.

I wasn't responding to your main post, I was talking to the guy who called my build a PvE build.
toeshred
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Walthern » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:13 pm

skyracer500 wrote:How about something like this then??
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#of0Nc0bZZViGrkbtbo

I know it looks like I'm going all over the place, but I didn't max out EVERYTHING that I put points into. I'm trying to go for a more supportive build, I guess.

Let me explain a few of my choices.. I've seen a lot of mages go 3/5 arc focus and permafrost is rly nice for kiting in 1v2 situations. Imp blizzard + permafrost is pretty much an instant snare for the 5 people I usually see chasing our FC and it can really, REALLY screw over druid efc's. Improved CoC because I use it on CD usually and it is really huge damage. 4/5 arc concentration as I can't rely on an extra 2% or even 8% talent to be the game changer when I can put points elsewhere.

Elemental precision is a talent I never see people take, but people always tell me to. Again, I don't think it counts much as a hit % since it's giving SO much and it never did much on feenix. Piercing ice, an extra 2% won't exactly do too much, arcane resil is a waste of a point unless I get 1000 int. Frost channeling is debatable but only worth it if it's 2/3 annnnd I'm unsure about the arcane explosion talent.

I used to play WSG with something like this.
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#oZVxGZVVGfsbtho
I found it surprisingly fun in WSG, fire blast critted and left a dot or stunned very often which was useful in many situations. And makes fire blast a useful spam cast damage wise.
Walthern
Grunt
Grunt

by secondary » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:02 pm

secondary
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Lazermon » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:22 pm

My build is made for BG PvP to help me doing what I view as the most important duties for a mage, peeling and controlling. If I wanted to actually kill people I'd go for another build.

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#orxV0obZZViRboftuo
Arcane tree
--
2 points in arcane focus is required to be hitcapped vs lvl 60 enemies as long as you lack any kind of hit gear, with clutch of andros giving 1% hit you could go down to 1 point, but since its been nerfed, 2 points are now required.
Clearcasting is vital, you often fight for long periods of time, and when you go oom, you 're as good as dead. If you play against players with half a brain, they dont kill you and youre even worse off.
I find dampen magic most useful as just another buff to be dispelled by enemy priests instead of more important stuff when trying to FC, but if I had 2 more points to spend and I had no motivation to spend them in frost, I guess I wouldve placed them there. possibly cut 2 points in arcane missiles and place them there.

Frost tree
--
Elemental precision - same as arcane focus
Frostbite/Permafrost - my most unsure points, I like both, often swap the points around in those 2 talents, not quite sure whats best. My reasoning for 1/2 is that Permafrost is more reliable for peeling compared with Frostbite.
No Piercing Ice - this is a pve talent.
2/2 arctic reach - peeling
frost channeling - same argument as clearcasting.
1/5 winter's chill - solely for the debuff the enemy has to dispel, good for peeling.

I've played with imp.blizzard, but feel like there's better ways of slowing down people. The best use I see is if you play in <Exiled> and like to park the bus on top of the roof in WSG along with a hunter or two. In that situation it's amazing.

I'm open to discussion, I do not deny that there can be a place for a mage specced more for killing, but I doubt I'd want to go deep into frost if I wanted to pursue that path, and I don't think it would be very fun at all with our current gear quality.

If you're stuck playing solo (aka forced to carry flags all day long), I'd likely drop some of the points dedicated to peeling and max frostbite/permafrost, possibly dib into frost warding and magic absorption.
- AQ40 When?
- GRIZZLY Cineplex Regular
- Level 4 <Dankk Budz Collective> Memer
- Level 5 <GRIZZLY> Officer
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Segen » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:22 pm

Yes
Segen
Private
Private

by pootpoot » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:57 am

Level 60 Mage (0/30/21) http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#oZxgGzd0uxVbGh0bu

Arcane (0 points)

None
Fire (30 points)

Improved Fireball - Rank 5/5
Reduces the casting time of your Fireball spell by 0.5 sec.

Ignite - Rank 5/5
Your critical strikes from Fire damage spells cause the target to burn for an additional 40% of your spell's damage over 4 sec.

Flame Throwing - Rank 2/2
Increases the range of your Fire spells by 6 yards.

Improved Fire Blast - Rank 2/3
Reduces the cooldown of your Fire Blast spell by 1 sec.

Incinerate - Rank 2/2
Increases the critical strike chance of your Fire Blast and Scorch spells by 4%.

Pyroblast - Rank 1/1
Hurls an immense fiery boulder that causes 141 to 188 Fire damage and an additional 56 Fire damage over 12 sec.

Burning Soul - Rank 2/2
Gives your Fire spells a 70% chance to not lose casting time when you take damage and reduces the threat caused by your Fire spells by 30%.

Improved Scorch - Rank 2/3
Your Scorch spells have a 66% chance to cause your target to be vulnerable to Fire damage. This vulnerability increases the Fire damage dealt to your target by 3% and lasts 30 sec. Stacks up to 30001 times.

Critical Mass - Rank 3/3
Increases the critical strike chance of your Fire spells by 6%.

Blast Wave - Rank 1/1
A wave of flame radiates outward from the caster, damaging all enemies caught within the blast for 154 to 187 Fire damage, and dazing them for 6 sec.

Fire Power - Rank 5/5
Increases the damage done by your Fire spells by 10%.
Frost (21 points)

Improved Frostbolt - Rank 5/5
Reduces the casting time of your Frostbolt spell by 0.5 sec.

Elemental Precision - Rank 2/3
Reduces the chance that the opponent can resist your Frost and Fire spells by 4%.

Frostbite - Rank 3/3
Gives your Chill effects a 15% chance to freeze the target for 5 sec.

Improved Frost Nova - Rank 2/2
Reduces the cooldown of your Frost Nova spell by 4 sec.

Permafrost - Rank 3/3
Increases the duration of your Chill effects by 3 secs and reduces the target's speed by an additional 10%.

Shatter - Rank 5/5
Increases the critical strike chance of all your spells against frozen targets by 50%.

Ice Block - Rank 1/1
You become encased in a block of ice, protecting you from all physical attacks and spells for 10 sec, but during that time you cannot attack, move or cast spells.

________________________________________________________________________________________
pootpoot
Sergeant
Sergeant

by secondary » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:16 am

"If you play PvP as a mage and don't have 3/3 perma and 3/3 imp. blizz you are utter shit and should delete"
/disucss

Its simply the most overpowered ability for BGs in this game. Leave it at that. Arguing about what I just stated will only make you look bad, so stop.
secondary
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Lazermon » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:05 am

secondary wrote:Lets discuss things!
Anyone who is against me is a retard!

Ok.
- AQ40 When?
- GRIZZLY Cineplex Regular
- Level 4 <Dankk Budz Collective> Memer
- Level 5 <GRIZZLY> Officer
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by pootpoot » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:11 am

imp blizzard 3/3... it only lasts 3 sec after the target stops getting hit. And people only really use blizzard in AV/tunnel anyways, 1/3 would suffice imo or 2/3 the most.

Saying that, frost is only good for farming, not pvp :D
pootpoot
Sergeant
Sergeant

by secondary » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:36 am

4,5 seconds. Its 1.5sec base and additional 3 with perma frost.
Perma you should always have since it makes your r1 frobo have 8sec slow. Even if you, for some unknown reason, do not pick 3/3 imp. blizz this is one of the most useful talents. 60% slow from CoC instead of 50%.

Back to imp. blizz. Which do you think this is only useful in tunnel or AV?
You have a 36y range 75% AoE slow that is able to procc frostbite. That is even slower as crippling or wingclip.
secondary
Sergeant
Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Mage