Are Elemental Specs viable PvP/PvE?

Re: Are Elemental Specs viable PvP/PvE?

by Handlock » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:32 am

There's a number of places where Ice Block lets you continue DPSing through situations where other classes have to fuck around with mechanics. Stuff like Geddon bomb, Onyxia breath etc.

3/3 threat reduction isn't important for frost because frost DPS isn't high enough. You can do just fine with 1/3 or 2/3 (take out the point in Cold Snap if you want 2/3).
Handlock
Private
Private

by Ana » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:48 pm

Dunno, I used to pull aggro on Broodlord (or get very close to, anyway) without really trying :P
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Lazermon » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:56 pm

Handlock wrote:There's a number of places where Ice Block lets you continue DPSing through situations where other classes have to fuck around with mechanics. Stuff like Geddon bomb, Onyxia breath etc.

3/3 threat reduction isn't important for frost because frost DPS isn't high enough. You can do just fine with 1/3 or 2/3 (take out the point in Cold Snap if you want 2/3).

wowwwwwwwwwww

Lets assume were having a 200 second fight and you cast frostbolt pretty much all the time, thats roughly 80 frostbolts. You lose out on a 10% mana reduction for every frostbolt, 24 mana, adding up to 1920 additional mana. On a 300 second fight you lose out on 2880 mana. Not to mention that not having 3/3 frost channeling is a huge DPS loss vs onyxia, broodlord, firemaw, added possibility to pull aggro in nef p1, same in supp room, same vs razorgore.

you're either a well geared mage in a good guild, where the reduced threat is a big deal, or youre a badly geared mage in a lesser guild, meaning bossfights take longer and you need all of the mana from the talent. Cutting frost channeling is not an option.
- AQ40 When?
- GRIZZLY Cineplex Regular
- Level 4 <Dankk Budz Collective> Memer
- Level 5 <GRIZZLY> Officer
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Handlock » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:33 pm

I specifically pointed out that the spec is for ZG/AQ-era farming of older content, so that you can be fire in progression and frost in MC without having to change specs. You do not need those talents at that point.
Handlock
Private
Private

by Lazermon » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:00 pm

Handlock wrote:I specifically pointed out that the spec is for ZG/AQ-era farming of older content, so that you can be fire in progression and frost in MC without having to change specs. You do not need those talents at that point.

That seems like even worse for threat since your gear will be so good. Might work if the tank has a thunderfury I guess.
- AQ40 When?
- GRIZZLY Cineplex Regular
- Level 4 <Dankk Budz Collective> Memer
- Level 5 <GRIZZLY> Officer
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Previous

Return to Mage