Lowbie Mage PvP Questions

Lowbie Mage PvP Questions

by Etchings » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:43 pm

Hello and thank you for looking at my post!

I've got a few questions about low level PvP (15ish-40ish) that I'd love some insight on.

I'm mostly curious about how durable a low level Mage is in WSG. I plan on playing one on the PvE server with my friend (a rogue) strictly for WSG/AB. We'll be getting to x9 of each bracket and PvPing for a while before moving on to the next bracket (not spending much time at 19).

I know that Hunters will be tough to kill and I'm sure Rogues are pretty terrifying at lower gear thresholds, but in general how would you say a Mage contributes to a win? Also, I'd like to note that my friend won't be just sitting around waiting to peel for me. He'll be focusing on healers primarily and I'll be CCing and burning whatever he's trying to kill.

Also, which spec is better for 15-40ish? I assume Frost offers me more survive ability but I know that a lot of Mages seem to enjoy Fire and Arcane too.

Thanks so much for any insight!!
Etchings
Private
Private

Re: Lowbie Mage PvP Questions

by Viorus » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:23 am

Mages rock. Try to stay out of the line of fire and CC/assist for your friend.
Viorin, 60 Night Elf Druid (USA), Knight-Champion

"Strive for greatness."
Viorus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Lowbie Mage PvP Questions

by Winstons » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:18 am

Etchings wrote:Hello and thank you for looking at my post!

I've got a few questions about low level PvP (15ish-40ish) that I'd love some insight on.

I'm mostly curious about how durable a low level Mage is in WSG. I plan on playing one on the PvE server with my friend (a rogue) strictly for WSG/AB. We'll be getting to x9 of each bracket and PvPing for a while before moving on to the next bracket (not spending much time at 19).

I know that Hunters will be tough to kill and I'm sure Rogues are pretty terrifying at lower gear thresholds, but in general how would you say a Mage contributes to a win? Also, I'd like to note that my friend won't be just sitting around waiting to peel for me. He'll be focusing on healers primarily and I'll be CCing and burning whatever he's trying to kill.

Also, which spec is better for 15-40ish? I assume Frost offers me more survive ability but I know that a lot of Mages seem to enjoy Fire and Arcane too.

Thanks so much for any insight!!

Hi dude,

I've been playing 20-29 on my little mage for some time. Hopefully you can find some of my advice useful.

Firstly, there is a great post on the forums here about how mages are to play - a lot of this applies to lower levels too. https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1440

Scroll down until you get to the PVP section, and really take on board what he says in section 2.) Playstyle. Playing defensively is key as a mage. Don't engage first if you can avoid it - try and remain unfocused by other players as long as possible.

Secondly, your main role, especially if you are untwinked (as I am, with AH greens and some PVP gear.), your main role is crowd control, not damage. Yes, you can dish it out if needed, but when you go all out it will eat your mana very quickly, and very rarely will you get the chance to unload your nice low mana frostbolts uninteruppted. Sheep is your most powerful spell, followed by CS and Rank 1 frostbolt. In WSG you make an excellent flag carrier AND flag re-capturer. In AB you also have far more space to operate and the big open fights are great fun. Following a healer around and protect him, or work with your friend on defending / capping a node.

You mention hunters and rogues. Rogues are one of the my favourite opponents - that matchup is fairly balanced and fun. Just keep a finger over that blink button and be very quick on the draw. Hunters need to be dealt with up close - you cannot kill a hunter from range if he is aware of your presence.

The harder classes for you will be priests, druids and warlocks, especially if they are twinked and have lots of HP. Often you will find yourself out of mana before you have actually damaged them at all.

At 29 I've gone for a full frost spec, mainly to get 5/5 shatter and build up shatter combos. This works on all classes, even other mages, if you can catch them after they have blinked. But you have to learn to use all your spells - each one has it's place. Sometimes it's necessary to blow cold snap as well, in order to get two shatter's off in a fight. Don't be afraid to use it whenever you can. But spec is really just personal choice.

As for durability - at 29 I have around 1250 hp unbuffed. You want 1000 or more I'd say to be any use at all. Anything beneath that and you will simply die far too fast.
Player vs Herbs - The Trailer! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZIUqT1wmOs
Winstons - Level 60 Undead Priest <Slacker's Corner>
Hiltts - Level 29 Human Warlock <Blessed Be The Thingy>
Hilts - Level 33 Human Mage
Winstons
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to Mage