Leveling Fire - Which Talents? Impact?

Leveling Fire - Which Talents? Impact?

by mstrdtch » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:44 pm

So hey guys i'm enjoying to play my mage right now, brings back good memories from vanilla WoW :mrgreen:

While I'm having an easy time choosing the talents for my druid (they all seem clear to what is their usefulness) I am completely LOST when it comes to mages. I searched for hours on google and besides it being difficult to find information relevant to 1.12.1 WoW (years and years of updates have pretty much reduced online discussions to much later versions, with completely different talents). It is also difficult to find information about leveling as a fire mage.

I know you might scream at me to go Frost for leveling but honestly for a multitude of reasons I don't think it's so great or fun to play, I wanna go Fire! But then it comes back to my first remark, I just have no idea which talents are good to pick (even back in retail I've never had a highlevel mage).

For example the first choice: Improved Fireball or Impact? IF would give me faster fireballs = more DPS = faster leveling but i was thinking that maybe i would end up not using Fireballs so much but Scorch instead. Scorch = faster to cast = more casts = more chance to proc Impact & with improved Scorch higher crit rate aswell with all benifits that gives...

A search on this forum gave me 3 topics about Impact :

search.php?keywords=impact&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=44&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

which seem to suggest it's bugged. Regardless of being bugged or not, is impact worth it when leveling a lowlevel mage on a PvP server?
mstrdtch
Tester

Re: Leveling Fire - Which Talents? Impact?

by La5eR » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:21 pm

http://rpgworld.altervista.org/classic_ ... 0000000000

You could move the Arcane resilience talent to blastwave if you want. Impact however is only for PVP so if you plan on doing BG's while leveling its not really all that useful for questing and killing mobs.

I'd go for imp fireball straight away though and then start working towards clear-casting. Once you get to 3/5 clear-casting you can start building your fire-tree again up to Master Of Elements 2/3 then move to getting Elemental precision to full to then go finish up clear-casting.
La5eR
Private
Private

by Graywood » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:41 am

When I level fire, I go like this:

5 points into Improved Fireball
5 points into Ignite
Pyroblast!
2 points into Flame Throwing
2 points to Burning Soul
2 points to Impact
3 points to Master of Elements
3 points to Critical Mass
2 more points to Impact
5 points to Fire Power
Combustion!

3 points to Elemental Precision in the Frost tree

The rest goes to Arcane
2 points to Arcane Sublety
3 points to Arcane Focus (sheeping is an arcane spell)
5 points to Arcane Concentration
2 more points to Arcane Focus
2 points to Wand Specialization (instances are harder, greater chance of going oom)
1 point to Arcane Resillience
2 points to Arcane Meditation

Welcome to 60!

Time to respecc..
Graywood
Tester

by mstrdtch » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:29 pm

Finally, an answer! Thank you so much! I will definately look into your spec, right now im almost done with Imp. Fireball and elemental precision, still deciding whether to grab Clearcasting after that or whether to continue towards Pyroblast (probably the latter because it just seems so much fun!)

I was already thinking about this but, any point in taking improved scorch in addition to improved fireball? I always kinda heard that one either uses scorch, OR fireball, as their main dps. All the other fire talents kind of seem like a no-brainer and good to take. Minus the Improved Fire Ward that is. I guess that FlameSTrike isnt used too often so Improved Flamestrike neither.

If i wanted to grab PoM from the arcane tree, would this be a not-too-terrible spec?

http://rpgworld.altervista.org/classic_ ... 0000000000
mstrdtch
Tester

Return to Mage