Permafrost & AoE Grinding

Permafrost & AoE Grinding

by Layna » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:28 pm

Greetings

Newbie Mage here, and as I would like to try my hands at AoE Grinding, I do have a question in regards to Permafrost. Most AoE builds I see have 3 points in both Permafrost AND Imp. Blizzard. Is that really needed? Imp. Blizzard already adds a 65% slow to Blizzard, and Permafrost only upgrades that by a mere 10% (up to 75%), which seems like a rather small amount in comparison. I can see the merits of putting one point into Permafrost (for the increased duration in case of a resist), but the whole 3 points seems like an overkill, no? At least while leveling up, those points could be put to good use elsewhere.

Any experience Mage could give me some insight if AoEing is doable with 1 (or no) points in Permafrost? That would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Layna
Layna
Tester

Re: Permafrost & AoE Grinding

by Lazermon » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:20 am

It's not about the extra slow, it's about the added 3 second chill duration.
- AQ40 When?
- GRIZZLY Cineplex Regular
- Level 4 <Dankk Budz Collective> Memer
- Level 5 <GRIZZLY> Officer
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Layna » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:59 am

Doesn't the slow get reapplied every single time Blizzard ticks?
Layna
Tester

by Lazermon » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:03 am

It does.
- AQ40 When?
- GRIZZLY Cineplex Regular
- Level 4 <Dankk Budz Collective> Memer
- Level 5 <GRIZZLY> Officer
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Layna » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:09 am

So if Blizzard reapplies its 1.5s duration slow every second (=tick), why would one need an increased duration on the slow effect? 2.5s (with 1 point in Permafrost) will even cover eventual resists!
Layna
Tester

by Ana » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:52 am

Because hell breaks loose then moment you need to turn around, blink then turn back to aim the next blizzard. It really requires time. 2 points in permafrost is enough for perfect execution, but it's much more pleasant to have 3.
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Dreez » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:08 am

not to forget about resists.... you kinda want to spend 3 points in that
Dreez - PvP server
<Endzeit>
Dreez
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by TheFishyOne » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:51 pm

3/3 Permafrost is a must, but you MAY want to consider only 2/3 Imp Blizz. 3/3 Imp Blizz prevents CoCs slow from overwriting, and can potentially get you killed if Frost Nova isn't up by the time the mobs reach you.
TheFishyOne
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Return to Mage