PvP Builds

by arOo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:46 am

This is a lengthy(TL;DR) reply to a forum post in the PvP section:
https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=26321

Mage- PvP Builds

The (standard) 17/0/34
--- assuming you have <1% Hit.
Pros:
- Blanket Silence = Freecast time. One of the strongest PvP Talents with an immense impact in 1v1 scenarios.
- Ice Barrier= Survivability& Mitigation - easily the strongest Mage Talent.
- Reliable Burst Dmg with Shatter.
- Not gear reliant.

Cons:
- Arcane Talents up to Improved CS have little utility and lack offensiv impact.
- Gimped Frost Tree / Always missing out on important frost talents.

Variations:
-Variation possibilities here are slim, obviously you can take out the 2/3 Elemental Precision and 2/5 Arcane Concentration if you meet the PvP-Hitcap.
- If you are focusing on peels/flagcarrying and not straight up fights you can take two points from your 3/3 Cone of Cold and put them into Frost Ward.

Recommended for these situations:
- This is the allrounder that gives you the edge in almost any 1v1 situation & provides you with enough control to not be gimped for peeling and controling.

The Iceman 5/0/46
--assuming <1% Hit on Gear. Hitcap variety is 5/5 Impact<--bugged (instead of 2/5 Arcane Focus, 1/5 Arcane Missiles, 2/3 Elemental Precision), or 5/5 Arcane Missiles.

Pros:
- Best Control possible in the game + Nuke Damage
- Ice Barrier
- 5/5 Winters Chill is a luxury you usually don't have in any other spec, but its great to spam the debuff slots of your enemies. Paladins will hate your guts.
- Not gear(crit) reliant.

Cons:
- No Imp. CS requires you to inline+leaves you vulnerable to casters in general.(<can be solved by tactical playing)
- While the damage of this specc is good, it still stands behind other speccs that involve the Fire Tree.

- Warsong Flag Carrier/Peeler/Defender
- Group PvP

Master-Control Elemental 0/20/31
- This spec is not viable atm - since Impact isn't working. #waiting for fix
- Also this is one of many viable variations of a Defensive Eelemental Specc i will go further into detail.

Pros:
- This Specc has a crazy dmg output while leaving you versatile.
--> Scorch/Fireblast into frozen targets (=shatter) gives you rolling ignites.
--> Impact+ Frost Bite = crazy snares and stuns on regular basis
- Ice Barrier + All defensive Abilities.
- Ability to stack up dmg
---> e.g. passively scorch until you have a couple of scorch debuffs up. ->Freeze then shatter scorch/Fireblast.
on good gear levels a fireblast can crit for 1.3-1.4k + 40% Ignite Damage.

Cons:
- No Imp. CS
- Gear reliant (Crit>Stamina>Int/Spelldmg)

Variations:
Now this is where variation can shine to it's full potential, I will list a few alternatives:
The Debuff Monster
- You fully rely on your Fire Tree while you stack up both WC and Scorch. It gimps your dmg, but it boosts your utility in situations vs dispellers.
The Offensive Iceman
- This plays more than a classic frostmage but gives your shatters more punch. The simple combination of Frostbolt+Fireblast shatter is strong enough to almost Oneshot any class with little HP.
Close Combat Prodigy
This i would consider a fun (not all too viable) 1v1 build - w/o any kind of Range Talents but alot of burst potential.
The my gear sucks way too fucking much, I still want to try this
Technically you should be spending 2 Points into Arctic Reach instead of Cone of Cold; but that hurts lower gear levels way too much. Also Arcane Subtlety is a really good talent for everyone right now (no spellpen) - it will stay viable at least until AQ40 Gear Levels.

- World PvP
- Group PvP
- (1v1) No Imp CS requires you to adapt to alternative playstyles

The Elemental 0/30/21
-- With the bugged Impact Talent, you can spend your talents into Fireball instead.
-- If you don't have enough hit you need to spend points in Arcane Focus and Elemental Precision.

Pros:
- Absolutly crazy dmg output via instant abilities.
- Blastwave is undispellable-->peels even against priest heavy teams(while imp blizzard is definitely better)

Cons:
- No/Poor Mitigations --> Makes you die very fast unless you got some fancy utility Items.
- Control is inferior to more Defensive Builds.
- No Imp CS

Variations:
Just like in the specc above you can play around with various talents as long as you check the following it will still be considered a variation of this spec.
(1/1) Blast Wave,(1/1) Iceblock, (1/1) Cold Snap, (5/5) Shatter.

(I can't really recommend it for any competitive situation, this is a fun spec but here is where it isn't completely shit)
- Group PvP
- World PvP

The PoM-Variation 21/0/30
The PoM-Variation 21/30/0
PoM-Frostfire-Variation 21/9/21/
--> Always consider that you have to put 2 into Ele-Precision if you are <1% Hit.

Pros:
- Instantcast every 3min
-> High Dmg spikes
-> Instant Sheeps
- Can be great in 1v1
- Imp CS
Cons:
- Severe lack in Control, Survivability and Steady Dmg Output

- Killing Flagcarrier in Warsong
- (1v1) against some classes
- (World PvP) vs Scrubs

Last and least, let's have a look at Arcane Power Speccs.
AP-Fire 31/20/0
AP-Frost 31/0/20
--> Always consider that you have to put 2 into Ele-Precision if you are <1% Hit.

Pros&Cons etc. pp:
See PoM-Builds x2

That's it for now keep in mind, theres always variations and I haven't listed all of the speccs that I consider using in certain scenarios. (e.g. Warlock-Duel Specs)

--- Find your playstyle, find your specc - be a better PvP Player.

Nuar out.
Last edited by arOo on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
/allyourbasearebelongtous
Nuar - Nostalrius Begins PvP
arOo
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: PvP Builds

by Syphonize » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:23 am

AP-Frost takes me to an AP-Fire build!

Nice list of specs.
Syphonize
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: PvP Builds

by arOo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:35 am

Syphonize wrote:AP-Frost takes me to an AP-Fire build!

Nice list of specs.

fixed
/allyourbasearebelongtous
Nuar - Nostalrius Begins PvP
arOo
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Return to Mage