Is mage really that boring in PvE?

Is mage really that boring in PvE?

by fordragon77 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:59 pm

Hi,

So I've been thinking a lot about which class should I main for PvE raiding (as dps) and I can't decide between Mage or Fury Warrior.

The reason I would roll a mage is because they have probably the best looking tier set in vanilla (imo) and best looking gear overall. When I spend months grinding I would like to at least enjoy the gear that I get. Fury warriors have ugly gear apart from their weapons.

However, as i heard Mages are only spamming 1 ability (frostbolt or fireball depending on spec) in the entire vanilla and that sounds horribly boring and numb to me that I will have to spam 1 ability 80% of the time until the end of Naxx. In that regard fury warr is much better since it has way more complex dps mechanics and I wouldn't mind some off-tanking when it's needed.

I would like to ask some experienced mages/mage raiders: Is it really THAT boring to play mage in PvE raiding? Maybe there is more to the class and you use other spells pretty often that makes it fun in PvE? Or why is it fun for you in PvE raiding?

Thanks
Last edited by fordragon77 on Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fordragon77
Grunt
Grunt

Re: Is mage really that boring in PvE?

by Athene » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:09 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

(Real gameplay footage)
<Genesis>
youtube.com/GenesisGuilde

MSBT [Continued] landed on Nostalrius, check it here: forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=1721
Athene
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Novanthar » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:45 pm

My Mage was 58 when I left WoW, at the beginning of TBC, so I cannot say from experience. My current Mage is low 50s and my main. Well, I've spammed frost bolt for many lvls now, it's not like I'm shocked at doing it for a raid (when I finally get to 60). I don't care, personally. I'll still be doing dungeons and AoE farming at 60 too. There's still different types of play then, including PvP of course.
Novanthar
Grunt
Grunt

by Momoh » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:54 pm

Carpal tunnel 1/10
Melodyx
Momoh
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Lazermon » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:47 am

All rotations in vanilla are very simple, this doesnt mean thats the only thing you click in a fight. If you're looking for complex dps rotations, I wouldn't recommend vanilla at all.
- AQ40 When?
- GRIZZLY Cineplex Regular
- Level 4 <Dankk Budz Collective> Memer
- Level 5 <GRIZZLY> Officer
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Ana » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:14 pm

Lazermon wrote:All rotations in vanilla are very simple

Mind flay is hard. You can't just mash the button.
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by pursuit3 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:55 pm

play WoD mage
pursuit3
Tester

by fordragon77 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:32 pm

Well, I wouldn't have thought that it's really THAT bad but It seems it is. Such a pity, the T3 mage set always seduces me.

I guess I'm back to my fury warr then, but it sucks I can't use tier sets and have ugly gear :- /
fordragon77
Grunt
Grunt

by Lazermon » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:14 am

fordragon77 wrote:Well, I wouldn't have thought that it's really THAT bad but It seems it is. Such a pity, the T3 mage set always seduces me.

I guess I'm back to my fury warr then, but it sucks I can't use tier sets and have ugly gear :- /

If it helps, mages don't really use the entire t3 set for pve.
- AQ40 When?
- GRIZZLY Cineplex Regular
- Level 4 <Dankk Budz Collective> Memer
- Level 5 <GRIZZLY> Officer
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by MonroeX » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:47 pm

It gets more interesting once your frostbolts proc insane dots in aq though (:
MonroeX
Sergeant