Is mage really that boring in PvE?

Re: Is mage really that boring in PvE?

by TomDeBaere » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:41 am

Syphonize wrote:
Ana wrote:It's worse than Frost, but not that much worse. It's too bad most people will never try it.

Do tell us more, I'm curious :D.
TomDeBaere
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Syphonize » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:54 am

TomDeBaere wrote:
Syphonize wrote:
Ana wrote:It's worse than Frost, but not that much worse. It's too bad most people will never try it.

Do tell us more, I'm curious :D.

Try out Wrath of Cenarius when that ring comes out! It is supposed to proc from each individual missile.
Syphonize
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Youfie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:31 pm

Syphonize wrote:Try out Wrath of Cenarius when that ring comes out! It is supposed to proc from each individual missile.

A source for that would be nice :D. Especially because iirc it was changed in some way on retail during Vanilla !
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Undertanker » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:09 am

When I mained a mage in 2005, I played very closely to the bosses unless a mechanic prevented this.

I was topping meters as 31/20 frost mage, however it wasn't because I pressed 1 all the time.

What most people don't do, is utilize their instant cast spells in their rotation for a dps boost. Even in MC/BWL Fire blast is nice to use in rotation. Especially if you need to move out of fire, or reposition for any reason.

I mixed cone of cold in there as well, but this was me. Starting around 15 yards, frost bolt x2, start running towards boss fireblasting, cone of cold, blink and spam frost bolts at 15 yards again until fire blast was up. Cone of cold has a much longer CD, but I took cold snap and would do a double cone of cold some times.

Most will jump at "this reduces dps", but it doesn't. Instant cast rock, even it there is a some resistance on the boss.

You will go through mana faster, so make sure you make 1 of each rank mana gem and use them on cooldown as you go starting with the weakest.

It makes this class a lot more involved than typical spam 1 button.
Undertanker
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Ana » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:36 am

Fire blast scales terribly with gear / buffs / consumables. It's a boost in dps in lower tiers but eventually becomes detrimental as your frostbolts get more powerful. That's because instant casts aren't instant, they're 1.5 sec (which isn't that much faster than 2.5 sec frostbolts, not at all). Also fireblast doesn't crit for double damage AND bosses in MC/BWL generally give you obnoxious partial resists when using fire. Cone of cold is much better in this regard but will still fall short eventually.

I find it hard to believe that you'd top meters while using blink in your rotation. lol
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by mozibake » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:43 pm

Instant casts do have a time and a place, like when you have to move before finishing your current cast and the resulting GCD won't clip your next frost bolt[in fact Warlocks are supposed to life tap in similar circumstances] but that is really stupid. What you are describing reminds me of a certain moonkin druid who spams moonfire on the boss for huge up-front dps for the first 30 seconds of the fight and then is OOM for the rest of it.
you think it be like it is but it's don't
-jack brack
mozibake
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Impsie » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:34 am

Syphonize wrote:The scaling is also 1.2, not 1.0 (meaning it is 24% scaling per second, compared to ~36% from Frost).

No spell pre-2.0 gains more than 100% from Spell Damage/Healing. If Missiles is getting 120% Spell Dmg then it is bugged and not Blizzlike. 2.0 is when Blizz changed co-efficient rules and started giving spells past 1x spell dmg. The only exception is Shadow Word: Pain with the talent Improved Shadow Word: Pain because talent modifications do not affect spell damage co-efficients pre-2.0.
Impsie
Sergeant
Sergeant

by MonroeX » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:16 pm

Impsie wrote:because talent modifications do not affect spell damage co-efficients pre-2.0.

I'm pretty sure they do, at least according to theorycraft.
MonroeX
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Youfie » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:27 pm

Doesn't Soulfire get 171% spell damage?
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Mindcrank » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:00 am

Syphonize wrote:
Ana wrote:Vael being quirky (if many mages get clever and start abusing missiles you'll soon find yourself doing 5-sec channels for zero damage).

Incorrect. Arcane Missiles was fixed to not take a debuff slot any longer, invisible or otherwise.

I'd like some confirmation on this, if it has actually been fixed.

I constantly try to use AM on Arcane vulnerable trash & Chromaggus in BWL. 90% of the time my AM can't even get a single missile off. If lucky I can get 2-3 missiles off and once in a blue moon a full duration. That's with 14% hit chance no less.

Although I must note that even with minimal debuffs on a target, the issue is more or less the same.

It's an extremely furstrating issue that has been bugging me ever since we started doing BWL.
Mindcrank
Grunt
Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Mage