Chosing the race, it is so important?

Re: Chosing the race, it is so important?

by arOo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:49 pm

I need to argue very much in favor of gnomes, eventho i share your distaste for the asthetics.

As a mage, you are by nature very versatile and with paladin supporting you, a good alliance mage is already close to untouchable.
Yet here's the deal why Escape Artist just gives you the little extra edge.

Here's the scenario:
You are playing in a premade, doing the king of vanilla batllegrounds (warsong), which provides a mage with certain tasks, that you are excelling even more at with having escape artist.

1. Horde Team is sitting in defense with Lock/Hunter on Ramp and a rogue in the flagroom, Their elemental shamans and warriors dominating midfield. Your druid would have to waste too much cds(&mana) to get the flag out so he won't survive the collapse in mid.
Here you come into play. --> Double iceblocks, blinks, insignia, skull AND Escape Artist gives you so much versatility you can bring the flag out in any defense situation (unless its a fullon turtle, but even then you are the best choice)
2. You are the designated flag carrier, for lackof a proper druid on the team. Your Insignia, Freedom and Iceblocks are very powerful tools indeed, but let's just say for the sake of argument that providing the flag carrier with the freedom puts yourself in a very defensive position that you don't want to take.
Escape Artist is the difference between life and death in these situations, no matter if its cripplings, blankets+nova, hamsterings - its simply gamebreaking.

A properly played gnome mage is a god in warsong, the enemy team has to have impeccable positiong and coordination to deal with you in time, therefore you alone are putting enough stress on a team.
I won't say a human mage can not have this kind of impact, but it certainly easier to be catched.
Perception might be useful, to deal with less skilled rogues in defense but on the highest skillcap, you rather want to be able to react than act.
/allyourbasearebelongtous
Nuar - Nostalrius Begins PvP
arOo
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Lazermon » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:40 pm

You can pick whatever race you want to. It's like you're picking a car to play in the Formule1, it doesn't matter what wheels you pick for your car if you can't drive, and most people have no idea how to drive. The good players can pick whatever race they want to and still outclass all but the very few that are at the same level of play and preparedness as themselves, and even then racial bonuses are often only effective against a handful of classes and make no difference at all against the rest of them.

Things to care about in order of importance in pvp:
. Skill
. Social Capabilities (are you capable of playing with other good players or are you too much of an asshole?)
. Consumables
. Engineering
. Race

Even in the actual good premades (which stopped existing around 8 months ago) not all players were using proper consumables at all times, and many players had severe issues with interacting with other players while playing. Pick whatever race you enjoy playing with, I would put much more thought into what frostbolt animation I enjoy the most over what racial passive I happen to get.
- AQ40 When?
- GRIZZLY Cineplex Regular
- Level 4 <Dankk Budz Collective> Memer
- Level 5 <GRIZZLY> Officer
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by pastebin » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:34 pm

Lazermon wrote:You can pick whatever race you want to. It's like you're picking a car to play in the Formule1, it doesn't matter what wheels you pick for your car if you can't drive, and most people have no idea how to drive. The good players can pick whatever race they want to and still outclass all but the very few that are at the same level of play and preparedness as themselves, and even then racial bonuses are often only effective against a handful of classes and make no difference at all against the rest of them.

Things to care about in order of importance in pvp:
. Skill
. Social Capabilities (are you capable of playing with other good players or are you too much of an asshole?)
. Consumables
. Engineering
. Race

Even in the actual good premades (which stopped existing around 8 months ago) not all players were using proper consumables at all times, and many players had severe issues with interacting with other players while playing. Pick whatever race you enjoy playing with, I would put much more thought into what frostbolt animation I enjoy the most over what racial passive I happen to get.

YES MAN BACK IN 1999 when lazermon rolled a troll mage (mongoloid) And ONLY skilled pvp gods like him ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) were ranking he played in g0d premade with g(0goodPlayers)d players

don't listen to this mongoloid, if u want to have the best racials for pvp you either go gnome or undead.
pastebin
Grunt
Grunt

by Lazermon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:29 pm

Never in my post did I imply I was one of those good players. I didn't disagree that there is a difference in quality of racial bonuses either.
- AQ40 When?
- GRIZZLY Cineplex Regular
- Level 4 <Dankk Budz Collective> Memer
- Level 5 <GRIZZLY> Officer
Lazermon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Imbaslap » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:16 pm

wth did I just read...

if you favor alliance, go gnome. simple. (human is for roleplayers)

if you like horde, go UD or Troll. troll gets haste build in from racial (imagine MQG without trinket slot taken).

UD gets Wotf which helps a ton on certain encounters later on. (bug trio for instance).

moreso a preference then linear advantage.

also take a look at the level 60 base stat differences of each race.

(I don't have the chart, but I'm sure someone can post it here).
Imbaheals
<Blacklisted Raid Leader>
Local Horde Kidnapper of Tarren Mill.
Rift Allstar Cleric 2011-2013
World 1st and 2nds with guilds Addiction/Blackout/Babytown/Trinity.
https://www.youtube.com/user/imbaslap/videos
Imbaslap
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Celonius » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:50 pm

I think guys, you are not getting the OP. I'm not asking for the best racial, I know that Gnome > Human (PvP) and UD > Troll (PvP). I'm asking if in Mages, the racial is so important like in other classes like the Priest or Rogue. Is EA artist essential?
Celonius
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by vinceyoung » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:29 pm

Why is it so hard for you to take the information from this thread and make up your own mind?
vinceyoung
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Dr. Doom » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:17 pm

vinceyoung wrote:Why is it so hard for you to take the information from this thread and make up your own mind?

Dr. Doom wrote:...... because when faced with uncertainty, they come to this forum to read guides and threads where other people tell them what to do. And...
Dr. Doom
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Celonius » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:56 pm

vinceyoung wrote:Why is it so hard for you to take the information from this thread and make up your own mind?

Why is it so hard for some of you to understand what the OP says? Everybody here knows that:
PVE: Gnome/Troll
PVP: Gnome/UD.
That's not the point. The point is: The decision of rolling one race or another for a Mage in the Alliance, the min/max decision, in this case is it so relevant?
Some understood that and gave their opinion. But others... Well, when I see answers like: Hey dudz, Gnome is the best for Alliance!!1 is like I perceive a lack of comprehension and reading skills. I know that If I want min/max, I roll a Gnome, but I'm not asking this, I'm asking if it's so important.

But, you know what? I finally decided to follow the Guide on the top of the forum.

And it's say:

Choosing your race: To me, choosing your race is just how you like your mage to be. Although Racials and Starting Attributes are important, but you shouldn’t roll a race you don’t like because racials don’t make a huge difference generally.
Celonius
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Previous

Return to Mage