How arcane subtlety/elemental precision works?

How arcane subtlety/elemental precision works?

by twinkpvp » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:26 am

Does arcane subtlety works on fire/frost spell? the guide here on nost say it wont. viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1440

For lv up are those talents a ''must have'' for mages? I get so much resist vs mobs 2-4 lv up, i could easily kill they if i dint get resist half of the time :cry:

Im thinking maybe the best spec to lv up(doing quests) would be get those 2 talents(5 points) and put the rest on frost, this way i got a chance of killing high lv npcs :mrgreen:
twinkpvp
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: How arcane subtlety/elemental precision works?

by Ana » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:45 pm

It shows as "resist" both when it's an actual resist and when it's a miss.

You have 17% chance to miss on targets 3 levels above you.
You have 28% chance to miss on targets 4 levels above you.
Elemental precision subtracts 6% from both, giving you 11% and 22% miss chance respectively. Not particularly amazing. It goes up to 30+% miss chance when the mob is red.

In short, fight yellow mobs, orange/red are a waste of time. Just because you're capable of killing them doesn't mean it's smart.
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by twinkpvp » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:03 pm

Ana wrote:It shows as "resist" both when it's an actual resist and when it's a miss.

You have 17% chance to miss on targets 3 levels above you.
You have 28% chance to miss on targets 4 levels above you.
Elemental precision subtracts 6% from both, giving you 11% and 22% miss chance respectively. Not particularly amazing. It goes up to 30+% miss chance when the mob is red.

In short, fight yellow mobs, orange/red are a waste of time. Just because you're capable of killing them doesn't mean it's smart.

And how arcane subtlety helps on that miss chance? does it work on frost/fire?
twinkpvp
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Ana » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:45 pm

Arcane subtlety does nothing about miss chance. It affects mob's elemental resistances, which is a separate thing.
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by twinkpvp » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Ana wrote:Arcane subtlety does nothing about miss chance. It affects mob's elemental resistances, which is a separate thing.

But it help getting less resist on my frostbolts? how does it work? If it help getting less resist on orange/red mobs it could be worth it for those hard quests.
twinkpvp
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Youfie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:28 pm

twinkpvp wrote:
Ana wrote:Arcane subtlety does nothing about miss chance. It affects mob's elemental resistances, which is a separate thing.

But it help getting less resist on my frostbolts? how does it work? If it help getting less resist on orange/red mobs it could be worth it for those hard quests.

Arcane Subtetly helps you get less Resists only on mobs or players who have actual Resistance. It means it will also help get you less partial resists on non-binary spells on player & mobs who have resistance. It doesn't remove the innate Resistance a monster gets just by being higher in level than you, but those are ignored by binary spells (e.g. Frostbolt) anyway.

As said above, the best thing to do is to get Elemental Precision, it's awesome. And just fight mobs your level, or +1 or +2 level, not more.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Impsie » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:24 am

Arcane Subtlety literally removes 10 Resistance off an enemy for your spells. 10 Resist is not high enough for a Full Resist to happen so this talent does not help your spells hit, it just helps remove partial resist chance. Not helpful for leveling at all. It does not counter Level based resistances either (Mobs gain +8 Resist for every level they are above you, which is why you'll see partial resists on higher level mobs that don't actually have resistances).

Elemental Precision gives your Frost and Fire spells a 6% chance to hit, which will cap you against Mobs that are 2 levels higher than you (Spell miss chance is 4% equal, 5% Level +1, 6% Level +2, 17% Level +3 and +11% for every additional level). It's a great talent while leveling because you'll often be fighting mobs that are up to three levels higher than you, and it will help eliminate resists due to level difference.

OT: I do believe the Level based resistance does affect Binary spells, but +24 Resist (Bosses) is not high enough for a Full Resist to happen. Not sure about this tho.
Impsie
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Youfie » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:41 pm

Impsie wrote:evel based resistances either (Mobs gain +8 Resist for every level they are above you, which is why you'll see partial resists on higher level mobs that don't actually have resistances).
OT: I do believe the Level based resistance does affect Binary spells, but +24 Resist (Bosses) is not high enough for a Full Resist to happen. Not sure about this tho.

I confirm, Binary Spells ignore the "level-based", or "innate" (or whatever one may call it) Resistances.
Just on a side note, a mob gains 8 "Innate" Resistance for every level he is above yours, but only if you're level 60.

If you're level 30, a level 33 would have 3x4 = 12 innate resistance versus a level 30 player.
It scales with level, to always be equal to about 2% average mitigation per level (24 resist at 60 = +/- 6% average resisted damage).

So yeah, all things being equal, Binary Spells are slightly superior in a raid environment.

I can't say sure of course, but all of these work properly on Nostalrius to my knowledge.
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Return to Mage