My Unpopular Opinion.

Re: My Unpopular Opinion.

by Ana » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:44 pm

kanem wrote:If you think there is some nefarious enterprise going on where Nost is getting bankrolled by the Chinese they sure wouldn't have risked all this by unbanning 12 accounts. They wouldn't have banned them in first place, and if they had they definitely wouldn't have unbanned a meager 12 accounts afterwards.

Why not? It's the best setup for plausible deniability. Taking no action whatsoever despite being provided with mountains of evidence would've been pretty bad (possibly safe for the time being, but Nost has a history of being studiously negligible when it comes to player-staff communication; enough of this shit and there would be backlash, and PvPers are generally quite vocal...)
Banning the culprits and then unbanning all of them would've been even more blatant.
Banning and keeping them banned would've been the optimal clean up (for Nost at least) but I reckon the business didn't allow that, so they got some accounts back and written off as "not enough proof". This works well enough for the general public, as they won't bother reading through dozens of flamewar threads to make their own judgement on how much proof there is.
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Darkwinjax » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:46 pm

Ana wrote:
kanem wrote:If you think there is some nefarious enterprise going on where Nost is getting bankrolled by the Chinese they sure wouldn't have risked all this by unbanning 12 accounts. They wouldn't have banned them in first place, and if they had they definitely wouldn't have unbanned a meager 12 accounts afterwards.

Why not? It's the best setup for plausible deniability. Taking no action whatsoever despite being provided with mountains of evidence would've been pretty bad (possibly safe for the time being, but Nost has a history of being studiously negligible when it comes to player-staff communication; enough of this shit and there would be backlash, and PvPers are generally quite vocal...)
Banning the culprits and then unbanning all of them would've been even more blatant.
Banning and keeping them banned would've been the optimal clean up (for Nost at least) but I reckon the business didn't allow that, so they got some accounts back and written off as "not enough proof". This works well enough for the general public, as they won't bother reading through dozens of flamewar threads to make their own judgement on how much proof there is.

You have said all there is to say. Shame you had to say it directly and now this thread will be locked.
lookin like a school shooter when i walk into these halls
Darkwinjax
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Ana » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:51 pm

Shush, stop telling them to lock the thread, you dumbo. It's an interesting discussion rather than a witch hunt atm, let it stay this way.
Ana
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Pottu » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:18 pm

It is a witch hunt and a festering rash of ridiculous conspiracy theories that Darkwinjax loves to yell about. Do not act like your hearsay and assumptions trump our observations and server logs. As the OP stated, we do not ban lightly and if we do ban an account by mistake, it will be unbanned. This has happened before and will continue to happen in the future.

Everything that Darkwinjax accuses the Chinese of doing, has been done in the past and is currently being done by players from all over the world. Neither botting nor gold selling nor account trading is a Chinese monopoly. That's where the racism and xenophobia comes to play, as if all Chinese players were guilty of breaking our rules or that all rule breakers are Chinese. That is simply not true.

Voltog is still a GM. We do keep monitoring things, based on both player reports of suspicious behaviour and our own observations. What we do not do, is to ban a large number of accounts with flimsy evidence or without investigating the issue fully unless they are posing a significant threat to the server - like the people exploiting bugged nodes or intentionally causing server crashes did.

The GM team.
Pottu
Game Master
Game Master

Previous

Return to Player Vs Player