PvP Honor System and Decay

PvP Honor System and Decay

by nervous » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:08 pm

Originally posted by Mirogue on another forum who stole it from Cyxap. Here I am, stealing it from him.
TL;DR-- This tells you how much rank you'll lose if you don't pvp at all for a week, gives you information on how much honor you need/week to rank up approx (depending on the way the honor system calcs here), and explains everything you need to know about pvp.

First of all let me introduce to you the pre 2.0 patch honor system.
Basically you got 14 ranks worth a total of 60000 Rank Points(RP).
Your next rank depends on the tab that shows your honor points for the previous week.
The system has other weird things that should be kept in mind like break points etc. But let me show
you the basics

And here are the ranks shown in RPs.

Rank 1 - 15HK
Rank 2 - 2000 RP
Rank 3 - 5000 RP
Rank 4 - 10000 RP
Rank 5 - 15000 RP
Rank 6 - 20000 RP
Rank 7 - 25000 RP
Rank 8 - 30000 RP
Rank 9 - 35000 RP
Rank 10 - 40000 RP
Rank 11 - 45000 RP
Rank 12 - 50000 RP
Rank 13 - 55000 RP
Rank 14 - 60000 RP

EDIT:
I guess standing has nothing to do in the current system.. here is a graph of the approximate RP per HP Unsure if it works this way on Nostalrius, any dev comments?

And now let me get to the point of this thread.
The "formula" is so simple that you can't even call it a formula ;)

A+B-C = your Rank Points after the maintenance day (your new rank)

Lets say A = Your current rank points (check your current rank and how far are you in that rank %-wise)
B = Your previous week Honor Points turned into Rank points (from the graph above ^^)
C = 20% Decay of you current Rank Points

Here is an example

First lets find the A variable.Imagine that you are rank 4 at 40%.
If rank 4 requires 10000 RP and those 40% are 40%*5000 (because from rank 4 to rank 5 you have exactly 5000 Rank Points), then your current RP are 12000 RP.
There! We found A

Now it's time for B. Lets say the previous week you made 100000 Honor Points... We check the graph and we see that 100000 Honor Points means 8000 Rank Points. Voila! We found B

And last but not least the value of C - The awful but yet genius "Decay". Basically C=20%*A. So, we found that A is 12000RP*20%=2400

And THERE! We have an equation - A+B-C=12000+8000-2400=17600 Which means *checks the ranks* .. We are now Rank 5 @ ~50%.

Now you will think "too easy" .. NOT!

Imagine that you are Rank 13, so you have 55000RP and you have done 250000 Honor Points for the previous week (which is 11000RP)

Here is the equation: 55000+11000-20%*55000=55000+11000-11000=55000RP .. WHAT?!?.. Yes.. you are still at 55000RP Which means you are still stuck at the exact same spot you were last week.
With one word, the minimum honor points you have to earn a week @Rank 13 in order not to lose that rank is, yes, 250000 Honor Points

Honor Decay is a nasty thing :<

Even more simplified conclusion - you have to BEAT the 20% Decay that you SUBTRACT of your current Rank Points.

Data taken from http://www.wowwiki.com
<GRIZZLY>
nervous
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Re: PvP Honor System and Decay

by Nyarko » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:38 pm

Great topic,

I hope that we will get some feedback from players the day after the next pvp update.
<Phoenix>
Nyarko
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Sethzer » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:31 pm

Can confirm that decay works here for those without a standing, but has a pvp rank.
Tested it on a lv.12 character who lost a small percentage of its rank 1 after a week of no pvp and had no standing.

And yes, standings should matter (atleast from my experience in the mangos core). Big majority of your rank progression is based on three major factors:
1) Your current RP before rank update
2) Your standing that you get after rank update
3) The amount of players who received a standing after the rank update. The bigger the player pool (people with a standing on same faction for a week, as in all players who has 15HKs or more), the more progression you get out of your standing (example: someone with standing 100 with a player pool of 3000 will progress more than someone with standing 60 and 1500 player pool). The main exception here is for the player who gets standing 1 whom will always receive 13000 RP before decay has been subtracted. Big player pools will also allow multiple players to get rank14 at the same time, should the progression for those players line up (I have seen 3 people on same faction get rank14 on the same update during vanilla retail once).

The honor amount for RP calculation is more or less not true, as Illidan on Alliance side who had standing 1 after the first update had around 41k honor and gained the 13000 RP (since noone had a pvp rank, thus no decay to subtract) and if the chart mattered then he would only be around 20% rank 3 and there was around 49-50 players on alliance side who gained rank 4 after first update and around 150 players who gained rank 3. The lowest standing I could find after that first update that I recorded on realmplayers, was someone who had standing 3015.

There have also been reports that the honor difference between standings can matter abit in terms of the RP you gain (atleast on feenix) but I have no confirmed sources of this, nor that its a factor here aswell.
Sethzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by nervous » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:59 pm

Bump.

I feel like this graph is accurate with regards to your gains.
<GRIZZLY>
nervous
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by ajooba » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:59 pm

nervous wrote:Bump.

I feel like this graph is accurate with regards to your gains.

the graph is actually pretty stupid since Honor Points have nothing to do with the Ranking Points you get. all that matters is your standing and the amount of players that take part in the Standing Calculations. Only a graph with Standing to Ranking Points with the according Player numbers would make sense.

Your Honor Points will make up your Standing. This Graph says Standing #1 (13k Ranking Points) is 450k. But this varies from week to week since you have different Honor Bonus weekend and also it all depends on the players. Last week for example steezy did like 830k and is #1. I think Standing #30 got like 450k Honor and will receive like ~11,5k Ranking Points only. So on a new server like this where you have a lot of experienced players also you will have a lot higher competition. For example i did 241k Honor last week, my Standing was 66 and i got like 10,3k Ranking Points. The Graph says i should have gotten 11k Ranking Points. If you want to know exactly how the System works i can only recommend this site: http://www.wowwiki.com/Honor_system_%28 ... ormulas%29

and this:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Honor_system_%28pre-2.0%29

with the information on these sites and your progress from your last week you can always roughly estimate your progression for the next week if you know how much honor you do. Still your standing will vary at the moment from week to week since competition is getting harder and harder because of new players that hit 60.
ajooba
Grunt
Grunt

by nervous » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:32 pm

All I'm saying was the graph was more or less accurate for me the last two weeks, and by your measures it was reasonably close as well q:^)
<GRIZZLY>
nervous
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Youfie » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:29 pm

I disagree with what the OP said regarding decay.
According to http://www.wowwiki.com/Honor_system_%28 ... ormulas%29, the decay is a function fo your RP, not your Honor Points.

As to the CP to RP graph, as far as I understood the wowwiki article it's just a rule of thumb, some kind of linear function derived from the data the author collected on retail servers and the break points calculated. It doesn't mean you have to get a certain amount of Honor each weak in order to beat decay, only you have to be above a certain standing to beat the decay, which is definitely something different, but came down in average, on the data the author collected, to the Honor break-points of the graph.

Am I wrong here? Did I misunderstood the whole thing?
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Sethzer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:57 pm

Youfie wrote:Am I wrong here? Did I misunderstood the whole thing?

What I wrote earlier + that honor difference between you and standing 1 do actually matter for the highest standings is whats correct.

First week there were around 50 people on each faction being r4 but st1 had around 40k honor. If wowwiki was correct then noone would even be close to r4 after week 1, but ye that didn't happen.

Also myself I had 569k last week with standing 13 and if the chart was correct then I would get 13000 RP since I'm over 450k, but I didn't. (I got about 11500 pts).
Sethzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by nervous » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:04 am

Sethzer wrote:
What I wrote earlier + that honor difference between you and standing 1 do actually matter for the highest standings is whats correct.

First week there were around 50 people on each faction being r4 but st1 had around 40k honor. If wowwiki was correct then noone would even be close to r4 after week 1, but ye that didn't happen.

Also myself I had 569k last week with standing 13 and if the chart was correct then I would get 13000 RP since I'm over 450k, but I didn't. (I got about 11500 pts).

I'm just assuming that was because the honor system was broken the first week as low levels were exceeding the total rank they should be capable of getting. There's also the difference in population from retail servers versus this one.
<GRIZZLY>
nervous
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Youfie » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:12 am

Sethzer wrote:
Youfie wrote:Am I wrong here? Did I misunderstood the whole thing?

Ok, glad to see I didn't misunderstood :).
Youfie
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

Next

Return to Player Vs Player