Server optimizations and battlegrounds

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

Server optimizations and battlegrounds

by Kelorek » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:21 pm

As I understand it one of the optimizations to allow the server to handle 7k+ people is limiting the range/sight that other players load. This is understandably necessary, and frankly its pretty amazing that the server does handle so many people so well.

I was wondering if it would effect server performance to turn these optimizations off for battlegrounds?
Battlegrounds are arguably the only place it really becomes necessary to see your enemies at a distance. It's really strange not being able to see a battle taking place in the AV fields when you're running along the outskirts, or not being able to see people at blacksmith if you're sitting up at lumber mill.

It seems to me that the subset of zones/players currently in a battleground would be fairly small.
Kelorek
Grunt
Grunt

Re: Server optimizations and battlegrounds

by trorsmang » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:10 am

Yes I second this idea and it sounds great, especially for AB and WSG.

Would also like to suggest getting rid of mind control ablility being usable in battlegrounds. It just gets abused all the time by people using it to get players out of battlegrounds and deserter flagged. Even worse sometimes it causes the person being mind controlled to get kicked from the server which is just stupid that priests get an ability that has a chance to kick their victim from the server. It even has a chance to get your account banned by the anti cheat system causing you to have to then submit an appeal and wait for however long it takes to get your account unbanned assuming it does. All because a priest mind controlled you for 2 seconds. This just happened to me for the first time today and have been waiting hours now to get unbanned when I'm trying to grind honor. Seems like if something is that buggy it shouldn't be allowed.
trorsmang
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Lorilay » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:13 pm

In AB players at the blacksmith flag don't show up for me until I'm almost riding past the blacksmith graveyard. It's unfortunate that it's so difficult to see enemy players in a battleground that's extremely dependent on scouting.
Lorilay
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by zzxx » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:06 pm

Yes please, draw distance has gone down a lot in bgs past few weeks

Possibly set priority on instanced things like bgs, dungeons, raids ?
Time and space, it's a crossroad through a gate, where do you go?
Getownedlol
Ogtucker
zzxx
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by TomDeBaere » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:21 pm

I think the draw distance might just be a global setting... But it would indeed be very handy, especially in AB!
TomDeBaere
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Kelorek » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:32 am

Its not really just about being handy, it entirely changes the game play experience.
This is a cost that the developers likely think is worth it, and it probably is for world PvP and NPCs, but I am hoping its possible to tweak it for battlegrounds specifically.
Kelorek
Grunt
Grunt

by Niko » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:31 pm

Spam
Last edited by Pottu on Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic
Last edited by Pottu on Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Put some trousers on
Niko
Legionnaire
Legionnaire

by Dreez » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:32 pm

There really shouldn't be any reason to decrease viewing distance in battlegrounds (AB /WSG)
Max amount of players in AB is 30, adding 12 game objects (flags + gates + buffs) and around 25 NPCs (horses, cats, farmers etc)
Max amount of players in WSG is 20, adding 8 game objects (flags + gates + buffs)

I fail to see how this is negatively affecting server performance while it isn't unlikely to have 300+ players in viewing distance in major cities.

In addition battlegrounds are instanced.

I do understand a viewing distance decrease in AV though with hundreds of NPCs and objects
Dreez - PvP server
<Endzeit>
Dreez
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by Daemon » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:45 pm

Visibility distance in battlegrounds has been increased by 40%. We continue monitoring performance so see potential side effects, and may revert this change if it has negative impacts.
Daemon
Administrator
Administrator

by Blaze » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:25 pm

Thank you for the response and tweaking the draw distance Daemon, the people who pvp here definitely appreciate it.

As someone who has been here pretty much since day 1 I'm definitely hoping at some point the hardware comes around, or a solution is created to allow us to play in an Azeroth in which we get 100% draw distance. Bless you.
Blaze
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Next

Return to Suggestions