Language difference - Is it taking over?

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

Language difference - Is it taking over?

by Fogde » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:46 pm

Greetings Nostalrius Forums!
Players on the Nostalrius Begins PvP Server are having quite a hard time lately, as many may know there have been a huge boom of Chinese and Russian speaking players over the last few months.
With the Chinese, they have blocked the use of logograms, which means that when they write something it will appear blank (ex. Rogue says: ) or when they link an item it will appear as a square.
There are still alot of people writing and it seems that they haven't figured it out yet that other players can't read what they are saying.
Well, the Russians are the same, except they haven't blocked Cyrillic alphabet (yet!), and I still group up with people for questing and dungeons, who for some reason still write in either logograms (blank spaces) or cyrillic..

There have been a huge problem with the servers lately with overpopulation, and with the cluster program underway, which I personally hope will fix a lot of the issues with the servers, I think maybe Nostalrius need to rethink a few things.
A lot of players have been complaining lately (both on the forums and online) about both the chinese players and the russian players, and I agree with a lot of others that maybe a server for both the chinese with logograms enabled and a russian server might solve some of the frustrations a lot of players have.
I hope that Nostalrius will block cyrillic as they did with logograms, since I find more and more russian players writing in parties and as a dane I have no clue what they are talking about.
And sorry to say this, but most chinese and russian players lack some fundamental english skills, which makes it both hard and frustrating to group up with players who either have no intention to write in english or can't write in english.
I want to refere to Nostalrius own policy:
What is the official language on the server?
English, english, and english. No other language shall be allowed on forum and public channels. It's an important rule to us, and we'll be very attentive to the behaviour of our players regarding this rule.

Nostalrius really have a policy about speaking english in public chats, but as of now, they are not really enforcing it. Players are getting really annoyed about people not writing in english online, Russian and Chinese guilds, fine write what you want, but remember when you are not writing to one you know is from the same country as you, that you NEED to write in english!
I really hope they start enforcing this rule more or at least block the use of cyrillic characters aswell. And maybe start thinking about if it would be a good idea to make separate servers for russian and chinese speaking people?

Lastly I just want say this thread have nothing to do with racism (it's funny that I even need to write that, huh?), but I have pointed out several times to both russian and chinese players that writing in anything but english is reason enough for a ban, but often, with the chinese they just write blank, so I have no idea if I'm being insulted (?), but with the russians, I have often been showered in abusive language and called a racist..
So please Nostalrius, start enforcing your language rules with maybe 12 or 24 hour bans for useing non-english in public chats.

I know that there are other nations aswell on the server besides Chinese and Russian players, and not everyone is good at keeping the language in english (Danish, Spannish, French ect.), but atleast you can see what they write and ask them not to and keep it in english.
Yes some people are having a hard time with english, and that's fair enough, but it kinda ruins the experience for other players..

Again, I hope this post didn't directly insult anyone, and I hope that the Nostalrius Crew want to at least think about either blocking cyrillic characters as they did with logograms, start enforcing their own language policy better or maybe "just" open 2 new servers for the chinese and russian players.

Have a nice evening!
Cheers,
Fogde
Back to the good ol' days!
Fogde
Private
Private

Re: Language difference - Is it taking over?

by shootermgavin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:50 pm

What, nostalrius picks and chooses which of their ToU rules they like to enforce and which they dont?

no way.

yes they are hypocrits. But they have the vanilla monopoly right now.

so either take it or leave it. not trying to flame the GMs, just the truth.
shootermgavin
Private
Private

by Fogde » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:59 pm

I know they have the monopoly right now, and I like the Blizzlike server!
But its not that they are picky about which of their ToU they wanna enforce, its more a cry out for something to be done with the huge language difference on the servers at the time.
I know that they have a limited staff on hand and they can't have someone working around the clock banning people for not writing in english, but atleast they could block cyrillic characters as they did with the chinese logograms?
Fogde
Private
Private

by Robotron » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:08 pm

Take screenshots of blank messages and report them.
Robotron
Champion
Champion

by shootermgavin » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:13 pm

Fogde wrote:I know they have the monopoly right now, and I like the Blizzlike server!
But its not that they are picky about which of their ToU they wanna enforce, its more a cry out for something to be done with the huge language difference on the servers at the time.
I know that they have a limited staff on hand and they can't have someone working around the clock banning people for not writing in english, but atleast they could block cyrillic characters as they did with the chinese logograms?

it is that they are picky about their ToU....

People are getting banned for stupid stuff left and right in accordance with their "ToU" as reason, while actual important issues like this remains.

thats the root of the problem.

this wouldnt be an issue if they would remove the english only clause. Either force your OWN rules. Or dont have them.
shootermgavin
Private
Private

by Sitar91 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:20 pm

There is really no point to playing an mmo with a bunch of people you cannot communicate with.
Sitar91
Tester

by Fogde » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:24 pm

Sitar91 wrote:There is really no point to playing an mmo with a bunch of people you cannot communicate with.

Exacly my point Sitar
Fogde
Private
Private

by postalsnake » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:31 pm

Their character set isn't banned ; our western clients simply can't display it.

That said, it would probably be simple to auto kick and ban anyone using that utf-8 range, although they'd probably end up using pinyin.
Postalsnake (PvP)
postalsnake
Tester

by thenuclearwalrus » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:06 pm

postalsnake wrote:Their character set isn't banned ; our western clients simply can't display it.

That said, it would probably be simple to auto kick and ban anyone using that utf-8 range, although they'd probably end up using pinyin.

Refer to this viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32610

They have blocked the use of Chinese characters in chat.
thenuclearwalrus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Bambam » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:03 am

Fogde wrote:
Sitar91 wrote:There is really no point to playing an mmo with a bunch of people you cannot communicate with.

Exacly my point Sitar

What if Fatherchina talks with Brotherchina ? They communicate, don't they ? :roll:
And just as you point there are a lot of them. I'm beginning to think we are the outcasts here (english speaking people)

From Paris, Bam²
Bambam Warrior 60, tank
Bambam
Sergeant
Sergeant

Next

Return to Suggestions