Stop Working on the TBC Server

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

Stop Working on the TBC Server

by shimiz84 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:08 pm

It seems strange to me that the devs would start the huge project of creating TBC servers when their vanilla servers aren't in perfect working order yet. I check their twitter feed every day to see what they're working on, hoping that they'll announce bug fixes or cluster development progress, and I'm always disappointed to see they're instead working on an entirely unrelated project. Take the windfury bug, for instance. That's an incredibly game changing bug for a shaman player, and yet it's been completely ignored for months, even though it seems like it would be a much smaller task to fix than adding an expansion server would be.

Fixing the lag at peak times and the numerous bugs should be the top priority in my opinion. For the players with A.D.D, who will never be satisfied with any version of wow ,as they constantly want something fresh and different, the preferred path of development would be to just pump out as much content as fast as possible without regard for the quality of gameplay. To the players like me, who came here for a quality, blizzlike vanilla server, having a flawless version of vanilla would be far better than having a flawed version of vanilla + a flawed version of tbc.

As always I appreciate the good work Nostalrius devs do, but I don't agree with starting a huge project like TBC while there's still major problems with the vanilla server.
shimiz84
Private
Private

Re: Stop Working on the TBC Server

by Noxm » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:29 pm

it's two separate team..

for the lag : Clustering development insight
Nostalrius PvP -
Noxm - <Core Raider of Emphasis>
Alt : Noxmk - Noxmq
Noxm
Knight-Lieutenant
Knight-Lieutenant

by konked » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:11 pm

Like already said, the TBC team is completely separate from the vanilla team so it's make no difference.
konked
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by shimiz84 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:36 pm

konked wrote:Like already said, the TBC team is completely separate from the vanilla team so it's make no difference.

Double the manpower working on vanilla wouldn't make a difference?
shimiz84
Private
Private

by Uzephi » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:48 pm

shimiz84 wrote:
konked wrote:Like already said, the TBC team is completely separate from the vanilla team so it's make no difference.

Erm, right now, TBC is running development on Github meaning merges and patches for fixing most mangos emulation errors is open source. Anyone can commit changes and it is a community project. This means right now there isn't a solid "TBC development team" made yet that is part of Nost staff. The changes are community based.

Viper wrote:1.1 Development

The project development will be accessible to anyone. Multiples tools will be provided to the community in order to create/launch/debug a server in a more user-friendly way. Even if the project development is accessible to anyone, some parts may remain the properties of Nostalrius.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36492
Uzephi
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Snautz » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:57 pm

Besides what have already been said, having the server ready to release before the competition (corecraft #2020) is also a huge advantage in order to attract the most people to the server.
Just look at how much of a ghost town Kronos is even though it allegedly was/is a decent server, just because they opened a little later than nost.
Snautz
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by shimiz84 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:23 pm

Snautz wrote:Besides what have already been said, having the server ready to release before the competition (corecraft #2020) is also a huge advantage in order to attract the most people to the server.
Just look at how much of a ghost town Kronos is even though it allegedly was/is a decent server, just because they opened a little later than nost.

The reason people recommend nostalrius over kronos isn't because it was released earlier, it's because kronos has run their server fundamentally different from nostalrius. The nostalrius policy is to keep everything as blizzlike as possible, while kronos has added donation rewards, character trading, reduced respec costs, and other things like that that make it unattractive to people wanting a genuine vanilla experience. Me and many others I know would have moved to Kronos a long time ago to avoid the lag on nostalrius, but were ultimately turned off by the non-blizzlike policy they have.
shimiz84
Private
Private

by shimiz84 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:26 pm

Uzephi wrote:
shimiz84 wrote:

Erm, right now, TBC is running development on Github meaning merges and patches for fixing most mangos emulation errors is open source. Anyone can commit changes and it is a community project. This means right now there isn't a solid "TBC development team" made yet that is part of Nost staff. The changes are community based.

Viper wrote:1.1 Development

The project development will be accessible to anyone. Multiples tools will be provided to the community in order to create/launch/debug a server in a more user-friendly way. Even if the project development is accessible to anyone, some parts may remain the properties of Nostalrius.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36492

Ok, I'll accept that answer. But if it's not TBC diverting the dev's attention, then what's the reason for class breaking bugs being ignored for months? That's what I'd like to know.
shimiz84
Private
Private

by Mandosz » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:37 am

Same as the above reason, community style project, not to mention all Nost staff are volunteers, most likely with their own lives and jobs to live. I mean no disrespect to the Nost staff but whos to say they are even top tier programmers? They may know quite a lot but I would bet that they arent as skilled as the programmers blizzard has on payroll, Many of these private servers are good learning places and practice projects for people looking to improve their skillset. So combine that with the fact that they are volunteers and you have your answer as to why some bugs can exist for an extended period. The Nost staff does their best with what they have available.

How about instead of complaining about what they are doing, open a book, learn how to code and offer your time as a volunteer to fix a bug that you are passionate about getting fixed. Win Win, the server improves and you learn a valuable trade skill.
Mandosz
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Uzephi » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:56 am

Mandosz wrote:Same as the above reason, community style project, not to mention all Nost staff are volunteers, most likely with their own lives and jobs to live. I mean no disrespect to the Nost staff but whos to say they are even top tier programmers? They may know quite a lot but I would bet that they arent as skilled as the programmers blizzard has on payroll, Many of these private servers are good learning places and practice projects for people looking to improve their skillset. So combine that with the fact that they are volunteers and you have your answer as to why some bugs can exist for an extended period. The Nost staff does their best with what they have available.

How about instead of complaining about what they are doing, open a book, learn how to code and offer your time as a volunteer to fix a bug that you are passionate about getting fixed. Win Win, the server improves and you learn a valuable trade skill.

Well, development with Vanilla is closed source. Meaning no one but the Devs who have access to the code can commit changes. We have a public bug tracker, but IsVV and developers have to fix them.

You are on the right track though. Only so many developers and so many bugs. There is something called "Ghost in the Machine" You can fix one bug, then that causes another. Undesired affects can happen easily when debugging.

The original WoW server could have been written in a different instruction set, so changing one instruction in a different coding language can, and most likely does, make more issues arise. That is why this project is called "server emulation." It emulates how the server should react to the client.

Kinda like a Nintendo 64 emulator...

Depending on your hardware of your PC will determine how well the emulator works as each CPU and GPU generations have different instruction sets and the N64 was a completely different thing than any CPU out today. Same is with these servers and how they emulate whatever backend server Blizzard used.
Uzephi
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Return to Suggestions