possibilities of arena existence

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

Re: possibilities of arena existence

by Mythodiir » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:52 pm

In my personal opinion there shouldn't even be BGs, but they were in Vanilla, so since this is a Blizz-like realm they will definitely be in there. I don't think PvP should be instanced or anything like that, it should all be real conflict in an open world, but that's just me.
Mythodiir
Private
Private

by Drain » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:30 pm

BGs were originally fine. They offered a nice quick way to get PvP rather than to have to go hunt and aggravate for it. You also got it in a competitive environment with matched teams. But they should never replace PvP out in the world as they have today in MMOs. GW 2 is a good example, and this is why it fails to get a real following. They totally chopped off the PvP and put it over into a corner. If they had warring factions out in the world, it could have been the next WoW. The WvW zones should have been every zone. But instead they went for carebearland, with no ability to even fight other players, towns, or cities in the world, at all, instead just pointing you over to the instanced BGs/zones made specifically for it, if you want to fight. They're twisting your arm and saying, "Here, you can't fight. Over there, see that zone off the map, out of the way, affecting nothing of value, there, there you can fight over there. But here, you can't fight. You can't attack this elf forest city, kill its leader, or take any elf towns. You have to go over there and attack those forts no one cares about or needs. We can't have you actually hurting another faction or its players. So you can't fight here. You have to go over there." That's PvP in games now. And that's when BGs are a problem.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Mythodiir » Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:51 am

Drain wrote:BGs were originally fine. They offered a nice quick way to get PvP rather than to have to go hunt and aggravate for it. You also got it in a competitive environment with matched teams. But they should never replace PvP out in the world as they have today in MMOs. GW 2 is a good example, and this is why it fails to get a real following. They totally chopped off the PvP and put it over into a corner. If they had warring factions out in the world, it could have been the next WoW. The WvW zones should have been every zone. But instead they went for carebearland, with no ability to even fight other players, towns, or cities in the world, at all, instead just pointing you over to the instanced BGs/zones made specifically for it, if you want to fight. They're twisting your arm and saying, "Here, you can't fight. Over there, see that zone off the map, out of the way, affecting nothing of value, there, there you can fight over there. But here, you can't fight. You can't attack this elf forest city, kill its leader, or take any elf towns. You have to go over there and attack those forts no one cares about or needs. We can't have you actually hurting another faction or its players. So you can't fight here. You have to go over there." That's PvP in games now. And that's when BGs are a problem.

The main reason why I don't have a large problem with BGs is because based on my experience in retail Vanilla and various Vanilla private servers, BGs in vanilla didn't have an adverse effect on world PvP. The two coexisted very well. I can appreciate that, although there is a bit of me that loves the idea of a purely open world warfare (like before BGs). Both have their good and their bad, but if neither destroys the other, then I'm perfectly fine with it. It was around WoTLK when world PvP really died. The only reason it was alive in TBC is because Azeroth was populated and for quite a long time most people in Outlands didn't have flying mounts. By WoLTK the whole "end game is the only game" ethos overtook so much of the community, it was all about being 80 and sat in Dalaran Queuing for BGs and Arenas slaying noobs h4rdc0r3. The main things that killed world PvP are flying mounts, queuing for PvP and the "endgame is the only game" mindset so the game was all about being level 80.
Mythodiir
Private
Private

by alucard001 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:33 am

This would be just great.

The only issue that i see on a Vanilla realm is that there no exist arenas.
alucard001
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Zetox » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:23 pm

Rhoen wrote:You could always do what I do and host Gurubushi arena events =). Have everyone throw in 5 gold and enter their team in as a tourney etc, whoever wins-wins the pot etc, One host from Alliance, One host from Horde.

This. Gurabashi arena tournaments best way! :) Promotes community, competition, and a great experience overall.
Zetox
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Armilus » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:03 pm

There was community organized events ranging from 20-200+ people at the Gurubashi arena on Tichondrius all the time.

I believe there was even a team pvp tournament at one point.
Cadmus - Priest, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Stabsington - Rogue, Nostalrius Begins PvP
Armilus
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by alucard001 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:41 pm

The problem is that in the release patch of arenas there werent the same talent's trees.

http://www.wowprovider.com/Old.aspx?talent=2006080_2

Personally, this would be just great in my opinion but, i dont think a lot of people would like it because it wouldnt be vanilla.
alucard001
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Euphorictinfoil » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:12 pm

alucard001 wrote:The problem is that in the release patch of arenas there werent the same talent's trees.

http://www.wowprovider.com/Old.aspx?talent=2006080_2

Personally, this would be just great in my opinion but, i dont think a lot of people would like it because it wouldnt be vanilla.

Back in 2010 there was a server by the name of "Total-War" this was before any stable/well developed 1.12.1 core existed, so they used 2.4.3 and forced players to download a custom patch that they had made (wouldn't let you connect to the server if you didn't). The patch changed all classes talent trees to the ones of 1.12.1 as well as added some world editing to various locations in WPL (it was a pvp/world pvp server, thus the name Total-War).

Had a lot of fun on this server, 2 screens of it:
http://i.imgur.com/QAY989Y.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/H8Y7VmG.jpg
Euphorictinfoil
Tester

by BrissPvP » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:17 pm

Arenas came out in 2.0 (TBC Pre-Patch) ... So It wasn't a thing till patch 2.0 ..
BrissPvP
Tester

Previous

Return to Suggestions