(2) Discontinued PVP Ranks!

We are always open to new ideas. Come here if you have a suggestion, we will discuss it together.

(2) Discontinued PVP Ranks!

by Askental » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:21 am

Blizzard had a lot of ideas for the vanilla PVP system and as you may know, some of them were never implemented. Indeed there is little information about this but WoWWiki still has a whole page about the City Protector rank, which was a "top player per race" reward.
Since the idea was to be #1 PVP player for only one week to get this, I think it could be a nice extra feature to boost PVP activity on the server. A sort of competition within the competition to keep the title.
Of course, official realms never needed this to be implemented to get enough PVP players but as observed before on several occasions, this can be different on private servers... Doesn't necessarily need the teleport spell reward though, the titles are just great. Who wouldn't like to be a Deathlord of the Undercity? :twisted:

There are also the "negative" ranks that can be found in just a minute on a default 1.12 MaNGOS build. These ranks remain unused to this day but are in the actual game, it's not just a "MaNGOS feature". The four ranks are Dishonored (rank -1), Exiled (rank -2), Outlaw (rank -3) and Pariah (rank -4). This also relates to it:

Even among enemies as bitter as the Horde and the Alliance, there is honor. If you flaunt this honor and engage in objectionable PvP play, such as killing new players vastly inferior to you in level, or killing essential non-combat NPCs such as flight masters or quest givers, you will earn dishonor. If you accumulate enough dishonor through your criminal actions, you will be branded an outlaw. As a consequence, you'll suffer experience penalties, lose access to your own faction cities, and become so hated even by your own kind that every faction NPC will attack you on sight.

Even if one could turn to goblin cities instead of their faction cities, these consequences ideas were maybe a bit extreme! But I do think there should be big drawback, if this is ever implemented, or we will most likely see a lot of players with these titles, imho.
Anyway, I think having these negative ranks obtainable somehow would bring great RP possibilities and could add a purpose to some useless activities like grinding dishonorable kills. The goal is double: to have little features that other 1.12 servers lack, and more exciting things to do between raids, which brings me to another point...

Any thoughts on these two possibilities? (Besides "lel go play wotlk u nob", please :D )

Last edited by Askental on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Askental
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: (2) Discontinued PVP Ranks!

by Hatson » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:35 am

Continuing on with my rating system from you previous (1) suggestion:

100% Yes.

I always wished these titles had not been discontinued. I think they're rad as hell. Who honestly doesn't? Representing your race is a really cool status.
The teleportation ability is just a bonus. Albeit a cool one. But perhaps not necessary in this situation.
The White Blacksmith.
Sometimes I stream stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/travallama/
Hatson
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Gelbin » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:07 am

There are many MMO's that have this feature. And I like it. You have my vote.
"I won't stand for that!" - Gelbin Mekkatorque
Gelbin
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by jsb » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:26 am

No.

These elements were never present in any live version of Vanilla WoW. They would alter the gameplay at least somewhat, and I don't think for the better.
jsb
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Askental » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:51 pm

jsb wrote:They would alter the gameplay at least somewhat, and I don't think for the better.

Why not? It's like grinding a reputation. Or they could be available in another way maybe...
Askental
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Envy » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:24 am

jsb wrote:No.

These elements were never present in any live version of Vanilla WoW. They would alter the gameplay at least somewhat, and I don't think for the better.

Would change nothing really :/ it's not an extra rank 15 that gives you the penultimate weaparmor of the divine god from the southwest, it's just a funny idea that blizzard had & didn't keep for some reason.

I too, think it would be fun to have these.
Envy
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by jsb » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:01 pm

Envy wrote:
jsb wrote:No.

Would change nothing really :/ it's not an extra rank 15 that gives you the penultimate weaparmor of the divine god from the southwest, it's just a funny idea that blizzard had & didn't keep for some reason.

I too, think it would be fun to have these.

I admit it might be an interesting gameplay idea but I see no need to implement it on Nostalrius since it would not be Blizzlike. It's maybe an idea to try out for other private servers that don't have this commitment.

My concern was mostly directed at the negative rank idea. The thing is, Dishonorable Kills were put into the game to discourage players from doing things that are very annoying to other players, i.e. killing quest givers or Flight Masters. Rewarding DHKs by handing out special ranks would incentivize this behavior.
jsb
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Shadow » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:43 am

How easy is for people to forget their commitment to a goal, aka blizzlike. I am impressed! (don't get me wrong the titles and the general idea would've been great, but it is not how the game was presented to the general public)
Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.
Shadow
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Sethzer » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:20 am

Shadow wrote:How easy is for people to forget their commitment to a goal, aka blizzlike. I am impressed! (don't get me wrong the titles and the general idea would've been great, but it is not how the game was presented to the general public)

My feeling too. This feature never went live for a reason despite existing in the game files.

No.
Sethzer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Askental » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:10 am

Rank "15" does not change player behavior in any way as there is indeed already a #1 player per race every week, it is just not displayed but this data is already calculated for the normal ranking system.

The others ranks could be available in some other way that is to be defined, it doesn't necessarily have to be from DHKs. One smarter thing imho would be to allow "progression" towards these ranks from DHKs or enemy NPC kills that yield experience, not from low level ones. Basically, low level target = bad behavior = your traditional DHKs... but similar level target = "negative" ranks rewards.

I am not too worried about the civilian kills as pvp in general and especially world pvp have always been pretty much dead on private servers. I would personally be happy to see dead quest givers and flight masters because that means something would be happening out there in the world! And for once it would not be a sneaky group of five players, corpse-camping people trying to reach BRD one by one... With civilians being targets, sometimes players would have to wait a whole minute :o to turn in their quest before returning to the mindless mob-bashing grind fest, and maybe even engage with other players trying to defend their town! Even if it means that sometimes the quest giver is dead, I would be excited to play in a more dynamic experience than the boring static towns with NPCs idling 24/7 where absolutely nothing is happening anytime, because DHKs are there and there is no point in attacking it.

Anyway, I just have the impression that an "Outlaw" rank would be popular if it was available in the game, because it's fun (also, roleplaying), and the point of gaming is to have fun, too. :)

Shadow wrote:How easy is for people to forget their commitment to a goal, aka blizzlike.

I feel like we might as well close the Suggestions forum if the only goal is the pursuit of the true blizzlike, as by definition any suggestion would be non-blizzlike, and keep it to bug reporting only. There is already some custom content on the server anyway!

"We are always open to new ideas."
Last edited by Askental on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Askental
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Next

Return to Suggestions