Behaviour moderation

Discussion forum related to PVP Server.

Behaviour moderation

by Darnand » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:54 am

I noticed on few other servers that the GM teams were completely uncaring about behaviour issues from players, and consequently supporting it by their inaction.

Insults, rude and or immature behaviour are to be expected most likely, but I would like to know if the GM team on Nostalrius is going to be taking action for these persons when reported ingame or on forum, as they can really spoil the fun and the community - mostly aiming at insults at least, since unfairplay behaviour is likely to be part of the gameplay, probably.

Thank you for an answer.
Darnand
Tester

Re: Behaviour moderation

by NerZhulen » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:06 am

You have ignore list for that bro. GMs have more important stuff to do.
NerZhulen
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Darnand » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:25 pm

Well, the blacklist is an extremely limited tool, and it doesn't solve the problem, only superficially. As I said, lack of consequence is almost supportive of behaviour that can spoil the community.

The terms and agreements of Nostalrius already specify that profane behaviour would be punished, so in practice it should also be the work of some GMs. Now my question is really if reporting will be followed ingame, or through the forum.
Darnand
Tester

by venven » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:40 pm

Darnand wrote:The terms and agreements of Nostalrius already specify that profane behaviour would be punished

The answer lies in your question.
Having said that, they certainly won't punish anyone for "immature behaviour". In my opinion, moderation should be limited to the cases of cheat/harassment.
Rogue IG & IRL.
venven
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Aquane » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:33 pm

venven wrote:
Darnand wrote:The terms and agreements of Nostalrius already specify that profane behaviour would be punished

The answer lies in your question.
Having said that, they certainly won't punish anyone for "immature behaviour". In my opinion, moderation should be limited to the cases of cheat/harassment.

those are about my thoughts, though harassment should have a very lenient definition imo, otherwise some people who enjoy a little spawn-camping might call the moderators faggots and not play here because of it
Aquane
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Drain » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:33 pm

Just use ignore or blacklist them with your friends/guild. Unless a player is exploiting something, I wouldn't view it as a punishable offense. I don't know how Nostalrius differs with its ToS or CoC, but I can give some general clarifications.
Not Offenses(Things you shouldn't be reporting):
Being killed in PvP, ganked, corpse camped, etc. Level is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if they are a max level 1 hit killing your level 25. It's a PvP server. GMs, under most circumstances, shouldn't be concerned with players killing you on it.

Having your NPCs killed. Some people like to attack towns to aggravate the enemy faction and incite PvP. Don't complain to GMs when something like Crossroads or Darkshire is wiped out by an enemy group that has a nice camp fire with marshmellows where your FP is supposed to be, or when a high level decides to kill/camp every low level in a zone. Tell your own faction and guilds instead. Or level up and go do it to their side. Making the other side suffer after it made you suffer is the perfect solution, and just incites more PvP.

Taking stuff in groups, with or without ML. You may not like it, but it's up to players to decide when this is or isn't allowed, not a rule sheet. Blacklisting bad players is your solution, too. GMs should not waste their time trying to decide what class should use what item or should have it. Blacklist the bad players, and run with ones that won't steal from you. Eventually, you should have a list of players that can be trusted, and a blacklist of ones that aren't. Players in creditable guilds, usually the raiding ones, are trustworthy or they risk being booted. Like it or not, rolling "Need" on anything in the game, is not an exploit or something players should be reported for, at least not to GMs. If items are deemed really important and you want to prevent open rolls, then Master Loot should be used, which is what every guild used for raiding.

Offenses(Things you should report):
People exploiting to do something that isn't legitimate. The most obvious example in PvP is rooftop exploiting, as this was a big problem for many years in WoW. The developers should do their best to make this impossible, but inevitably, players find a way. To explain, in some towns, you could climb on top of buildings, which wasn't intended. Guards, despite aggroing, could not reach you on top of buildings. They would get stuck in evade mode, which is the mode that a mob goes into when it can't reach a player. This allowed you to shoot at players without consequence. Worse yet, if they were neutral guards, and your target tried to fight back from the ground, the guards would actually aggro and help you kill your target. This behavior should not be allowed. Fighting in or around towns is normal PvP, so long as aggroed guards CAN reach you. Running away from them, or using something like Feign Death, is not an exploit. If they are stuck in evade mode however because of you're on something you shouldn't be on, that should not be allowed. Nostalrius should do its best to correct the building flaws that Blizzard allowed for years, and punish players abusing any they find. One thing I will surely test in the upcoming beta is if these rooftops can be accessed, and if guards can reach me on them. I remember PLENTY, as players abused them every day for years on PvP realms. It took Blizzard years(probably into Wotlk era) to give the slightest shit about it.

Exploiting boss scripts in some way to make a fight easier. Just like town guards, PvE mobs/bosses also had exploits that could be taken advantage of. There's no confusion here or argument that it's a strategy. It's very obvious when an unintentional exploit is being done. What people commonly did was use evade mode to break up pulls. If you pulled correctly in plenty of areas in the game, you could pull a mob into an area where it would fight you, while other mobs got stuck in evade mode. This gave you free CCs that would last entire fights. Again, it shouldn't be possible with good pathfinding, but it shouldn't be done regardless. Players also exploited safe spots to do things such as eat food or AFK, spots which clearly weren't intended to be safe. The mobs simply couldn't aggro or reach them like they should have been able to. There were plenty of such spots inside dungeons and caves with objects in the environment. Being on or behind them could break mob pathfinding.

Rolling dummy characters to get around being blocked, messaging someone that obviously doesn't want to see anything from you. This is another big one that retail had for years, and has been notorious all over the internet, not just gaming. Big issue, not just limited to WoW. So big an issue that many newer games and services actually prevent messaging until you're accepted on the person's friendlist. If someone accidentally blocked you or you have no idea why, you can message them on another character to ask why it was done or if they'll remove it(could try apologizing, I know, scary concept), but beyond that, they should be left alone. When it's clear that it was deliberate or won't be removed, you should leave them alone. Repeatedly rolling alts to harass someone is not ok. A lot of players, not taking a hint from being blocked by their raging/whining/bitching/etc, would roll up dummy characters to continue sending more of it your way. This still occurs today on sites like Youtube. Don't be one of those players. Hopefully Nostalrius will ban the account too. If they are a proper staff, tracking this kind of exploitative harassing won't be difficult in the slightest. It's not hard to see that an account has made 10 different level 1s all messaging the same guy with hateful messages. Hopefully they'll do something about it, in the rare cases where it comes up. You always have the ability to message someone in the system that Classic WoW used, whether they like it or not, but that doesn't always mean you should.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Ghostly » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:29 pm

There's a thin line between behavior moderation and censorship. If somebody spams in chat, annoying many players, guess it would make sense to report him and expect him to get banned, but if somebody insults you, just use the ignore function. No need to be a crybaby.
all is now dark
Ghostly
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Drain » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:11 pm

Yes, if someone is just spamming chat channels, they should be removed. This is mainly a problem for spammers advertising gold sites or other servers, but can also be a problem from the occasional troll. You should require a certain level(ie 10) to use chat channels, and not allow spamming either. Most private servers now have level restrictions on chat thanks to spammers; Nostalrius should be no different. Set it to 10 and that will stop most of it, as they don't want to bother leveling. They just want to create a dummy character on the server then spam your channels. This is something Blizzard could never bother with, even when told for years. So they had level 1s spamming your chat channels, whispers, and mailboxes, day in and day out. The character names were usually gibberish such as "srtkylghyi", as the spammers just made dummy characters for the task. They only played the characters long enough to run to a city and mailbox.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Return to PVP Server Specific discussion