What'll you play while you're waiting for release?

Discussion forum related to PVP Server.

Re: What'll you play while you're waiting for release?

by balsh » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:55 pm

Crono wrote:Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Man this game is so awesome. I've played it this summer for the first time(well I've tried it in 1998 for like 10min but didn't like it back then) and it's definitely one of my favorite games now. So old still so good.
It was fun to find out that wow actualy has picked a lot of spells from D&D aswell.

I play planetside 2 and some other fps atm, I'm in my shooter mood period of the year.
balsh
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Hatson » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:28 pm

balsh wrote:It was fun to find out that wow actualy has picked a lot of spells from D&D aswell.

Pretty much every RPG ever made is based on the fundamentals of D&D. But none of them will ever come close to the freedom of the Pen & Paper. I whole heartedly recommend it to everyone. Even though it can be extremely hard to find like minded individuals in close area to play, or even a DM/GM that is experienced enough to make it a fun ride.
It definitely helps to have been playing it with ones best friends since they were kids.

Also yes, the Baldur's Gate series is awesome. Icewind Dale series as well, made with the same engine.
Also, Planescape: Torment.

Oh, and early next year, thanks to Kickstarter. The spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games (BG, IWD, Planescape Torment) are becoming a thing again, as they received massive amounts of money from Kickstarter, showing how much people still want to play those games nowadays.

The Icewind Dale folks (Black Isle Studios back then) - Are releasing 'Pillars of Eternity' next February, if I'm not mistaken.

And the Planescape: Torment folks (Black Isle Studios, again, but a different core group of people) - Are releasing 'Torment: Tides of Numenera' sometime during Q1 or Q2 next year.

2015 is shaping up to be a pretty damn good year for classic D&D RPGs.

As for another Baldur's Gate? - Nah, Bioware stopped making those kind of games a long time ago.
The last one of their games to have a bit of BG in it was DA: Origins, which was a pretty good game, tbh.
The White Blacksmith.
Sometimes I stream stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/travallama/
Hatson
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Drain » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:18 pm

I play a lot of games, many of which are older than Classic WoW. I really like emulators as they allow you to replay all your favorites without having to round up a pile of consoles and cartridges. I'm not AVGN, I don't have room for all that shit. Digital storage for me. I've been spending years reliving most of my childhood. I never would have imagined that I can do the things I do today, back then. Instant load times, save states, max graphic settings, all consoles with a single controller played on PC. Kids today don't know how it's all handed to them. It's better than playing newer games too, IMO. Modern games are generally crap, unless they're Indie titles. Modern games have become Indie games. We're in the Indie era now. Games are great, until you play the "AAA" titles. No, sorry, I don't want to play Alien Isolation and hide in lockers, or whatever copy/paste military shooter of the year everyone else is wanking off to.

Here's some of the things in my PC game library that are working on my 64bit Windows 7. :)
Dune 2000. Majesty. MechCommander 1. CnC 1. Red Alert 1. Tiberian Sun. WC 2. SC 1. I'm thinking about getting Lords of the Realm 2 again, which I haven't beaten in a few years now. I recently finished Rogue Legacy, Luigi's Mansion, and am now working on Rogue Ops. Some of my favorite games are FTL and XCOM, Enemy Unknown. I'm the fucking Federation fleet master of FTL. I have 367 hours clocked into it on Steam, 100% achievements/ships. People don't play Skyrim that long. A track from FTL, titled "bonus federation" is on my alarm clock. Hear it on Youtube.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Hatson » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:36 pm

Those are al great games. I'd add WC3 + FT and RA2 to that list as well. As well as all the Infinity Engine D&D games.
I can relate to the old games comment, but God Hand from 2006 stands out for me as my favourite game of all time.

But after it would be such titles as..
Shining Force II (Sega Genesis 1994) - Imo the best tactical RPG I've ever played and by far the best music, especially for its' time. Motoaki Takenouchi really squeezed out the sound limits on the Genesis chip.

Sonic II (Sega Genesis 1992) - Everyone knows it. And it's my favourite out of the series. And the music is no exception.

WC3 + FT (2002-2003 + many many years afterwards on Battle.net, best online gameplay modes ever - Still play many of them to this day with my friends over Gameranger)

Dishonored (2012) - Okay so, this is the most recent game to go on my favourite list. But Arkane Studios, the developers, are the masters of 1st person combat, there is no argument really in my eyes. Their combat design and how much fun they are have no rivals imo.

I've loved their games for a long time, but with Dishonored they finally got the budget and attention they have deserved for decades, ever since many core developers of it, were the core developers back in the day for the legendary Looking Glass Studios - Before it split into other companies creating such masterpieces as Thief, Deus Ex, Ultima Underworld, etc. - Dishonored is no exception. It's the same creative minds and they hired a lot of their old friends from the Thief and Deus Ex times to work on it with them.
The White Blacksmith.
Hatson
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Nyarko » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:51 pm

Drain wrote:Lords of the Realm 2

So old, so much memories :D
you guys know the old games so well, impressive... Same for Planescape Torment..

Extatica ! Nox ! Silver ! Anno 1602 ! Outlaws ! Dark forces ! POD ! Carmageddon ! GTA 2 ! Motocross Madness ! Fun Tracks ! The Need for Speed (Pentium(2) 200MHz Voodoo 3 3DFX)

EDIT :
(WC+FT lover as well from 2000 to 2005)
140th on ladder AT 2v2, lvl 32 solo, 36 RT ;)
Custom shortcuts, Fan of SK.Mad)Q(Frog !!
Last edited by Nyarko on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<Phoenix>
Nyarko
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Drain » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:52 pm

I also put a lot of years into WC 3. I played its ladder quite a bit and custom games, before it finally went to the toilet with Ghostbotting taking over and Blizzard totally abandoning it to botters/hackers. For a few years though, that was my Tuesday game, meaning the game I would play while WoW was down(Tuesdays). I'd play custom games on WC 3 on Tuesdays talking about this game on that game with others that did the same thing. My favorite maps up until I quit for good were CastleFight and Coming of the Horde. But since it eventually turned into a Dota box where no one plays anything else, I left. I played League of Legends for a few years, but have since retired that and MOBA lane games too. Played MechWarrior Online for a good while, but it eventually went belly up as PGI turned out to be one of the worst developers imaginable, interested only in selling as many Mech packs as possible before everyone else leaves too.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by lyrical » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:31 pm

Bomberman ftw, 4 mates, an adapter, lots of beers and u can play all night, carefull about the music sometimes it's more deadly than the beer.

About BG Enchanced Edition, being a huge fan of black isle, im really disapointed, few quest more, few character, and the fucking black pitts...seriously... Finally the best feature is the wide screen. /choo
lyrical
Private
Private

by Hatson » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:33 pm

lyrical wrote:Bomberman ftw, 4 mates, an adapter, lots of beers and u can play all night, carefull about the music sometimes it's more deadly than the beer.

Oh my god, yes. Bomberman + friends over + drinks.
Another good game for that is your favourite Mario Party game. I really like 3 myself. That game is designed to make you HATE your friends, haha. It's the most random game ever and every turn can change the entire game over and over again. So frustrating but amusing.
The White Blacksmith.
Hatson
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Hatson » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:29 pm

Oh my god. I totally forgot about Severance: Blade of Darkness - One of my favourite games of all time. Still holds up to this day. It's a ton of fun and hella' brutal.
The White Blacksmith.
Hatson
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Mdmadam » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:55 am

EverQuest Classic (private server) gotta know your MMO roots :)
Mdmadam
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to PVP Server Specific discussion