Pre nerf

Discussion forum related to PVP Server.

Pre nerf

by gazi05 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:00 pm

So I read somwhere in the forums that the raids are going to be harder, before they were nerfed, but I saw something today about C'thun why he was impossible:

No. C'thun was unkillable with the current gear available pre-naxx. The DPS requirement to both kill the tentacles before they wiped the raid and actually do real damage to c'thun combined with the mana limitations of the time made it impossible.

People forget that once upon a time, replenishment was barely in the game. Hunters did not have it. Shadow priests did not have it (spriest was not a viable class at that point). Regular priests did not have it (no shadowfiend). I am also pretty sure that mages and pallies didn't have it either. Druids had innervate (but no tree form, nothing else to lessen healing burdens).

So not only did you not have enough DPS but you also did not have enough mana and you would go OOM or your healers would go OOM even if you had the DPS.

It was a mathematically impossible encounter given the game realities at that time.

So what do you think about that? I know this will be a challenge but do you think he will fall pre nerfed??
gazi05
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Pre nerf

by Drain » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:21 pm

I think you'll have to wait and see on this one. If something was impossible to beat, then it's a boss they might leave nerfed. If not, then I'm sure they would nerf if guilds complained about it. So far they seem to really care about the server. Your concern is that they will make a boss impossible, then leave it that way, so no guild can do it. It's a valid concern, but I don't think a staff such as this one would do that. But raid difficulty is not something you can just test with a small staff. Blizzard had the same issue, they couldn't properly test 40 man content. They just had to dummy up numbers, release it, hope for the best, then see how many people could actually do it.

Btw, Mages had Evocation and mana stones. Paladins had 2 stacking Wisdom buffs. Hunters don't need much mana to do damage, as most of it either comes from auto shots, or the pet. Their biggest issue was running out of bullets in a raid. You had to fill your inventory with ammo. Most classes, even in Classic, could last a while. But Priests did have mana issues, more so than any other healer. Priests as a whole got the short stick, with no effective way to restore or save it aside from a few Disc traits. Blizzard tried to correct this in BC with a lot of new mana traits, specifically Vampiric Touch. They later went overboard and put in raid wide "Replenishment" procs on most classes, which was retarded. At that point, mana basically became infinite for everyone.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Hatson » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:48 pm

Also keep in mind Gazi05. Even though some of the content and gear might be in pre-buff (or nerfed, whichever you want to call it) state on time of release of said content - You have to remember we still have the patch 1.12 talents and mechanics.
Those alone are a huge boost to the classes and combat mechanics and the likes.
Yes, I'm aware that some classes are in pretty much the same state during patch 1.9 (C'thun) and patch 1.12 - But some are not.

This is a pretty major factor of why most "blizzlike" private servers are in reality much easier content than it actually was at that time of release on blizzlike retail progression with all its buffs and nerfs and MAJOR class and mechanic changes and overhauls.
There's a lot more factors that go into the balance of the game than just the things that the devs of Nostalrius are actually modifying to be at least, somewhat blizzlike, or as blizzlike as they can, or want to make it.

Personally I think what they have decided on so far, progression wise, such as the PvP item balancing and the Reputation faction rewards and quests not being immediately available on launch (which all other privates have, it really skewers some of the item progression balancing) - I think they're doing a pretty good job so far.
For all we know they might do that sort of treatment to more stuff in the future.
The White Blacksmith.
Sometimes I stream stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/travallama/
Hatson
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by blackhammer » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:04 am

Drain wrote:Hunters don't need much mana to do damage, as most of it either comes from auto shots, or the pet. Their biggest issue was running out of bullets in a raid. You had to fill your inventory with ammo.

1) Hunters had absolutely no problems with amo... if someone had that means they didnt stack up before raid.
2) Pets on cthun? really? unless you want to wipe half of the raid... maybe when hes weakened and dismiss before end.
blackhammer
Tester

by Drain » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:37 pm

blackhammer wrote:
Drain wrote:Hunters don't need much mana to do damage, as most of it either comes from auto shots, or the pet. Their biggest issue was running out of bullets in a raid. You had to fill your inventory with ammo.

1) Hunters had absolutely no problems with amo... if someone had that means they didnt stack up before raid.
2) Pets on cthun? really? unless you want to wipe half of the raid... maybe when hes weakened and dismiss before end.

Yes because that 1 boss most players never even reached before BC released is a good enough reason to never use your pet, ever. Assuming you did reach it, I guess it's a shame you can't respec off the 1 tree out of 3 that needs the pet... oh wait...
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by ZanathKariashi » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:55 am

or a certain A-hole dragon instantly breaking your bow/gun/xbow for funzzies.
ZanathKariashi
Grunt
Grunt

by Azalus » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:05 pm

ZanathKariashi wrote:or a certain A-hole dragon instantly breaking your bow/gun/xbow for funzzies.

Should never, ever, be a problem.
Azalus
Sergeant
Sergeant

Return to PVP Server Specific discussion