What is not Blizzlike about Nostalrius?

Discussion forum related to PVP Server.

Re: What is not Blizzlike about Nostalrius?

by Daemon » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:46 pm

On the staff, we are all fans of the WoW Vanilla period (major part of the staff played back there), and we want to bring it back, as you remember it. That's why we care about every single detail, as you can see in our videos. However, since we are not Blizzard, we have to take decisions that are not always Blizzlike, to make the experience to fit with what we experienced back in wow vanilla times.

But I want to answer your question precisely. What will not be blizzlike ?
  • The release timeline will be slightly different : Nostalrius Begins indicative timeline
  • We may organize events, with eventually rewards (no game breaking rewards). Custom events will always be limited in time (a few days), and will not impact players that don't want to participate.
  • Once the server is launched (6 months *at least*), and if the community agrees, we may import old beta players characters to bring back old players (more than 20 000 accounts), under very restrictive conditions to preserve the server balance.
  • We spoke about increased rate events. If we feel that a majority of players are tired of leveling, we though at a temporary boost of leveling rates (x2 a weekend in level 10-30 range for example). Why ? To motivate players to test Nostalrius a few days (and we are confident that they will like, and stay), to make a lot of people start a new character at the same time (so that they can levelup together, organize low level instances, raids ...). But these events won't affect players that don't want to participate, and will NOT affect the initial "first 60" rush !
  • Regarding server maintenance, for now we afford alone the maintenance / advertising costs.
    But it can't stay that way forever. The way maintenance cost / advertising will be handled it still not clear for now, but we are sure of some things :
    • We never got any money for our work (since 2010) and we'll never get anything. We are all vanilla fanboys, and that's what makes this project unique and explains our motivation.
    • As stated in the FAQ, Nostalrius Begins never was/is/will be a pay-to-win system.
  • I do not see any other non-Blizzlike things we could do ... But we are open to suggestions, if they do not break the vanilla game spirit
Daemon
Administrator
Administrator

by Osiris » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:23 pm

Nice reply, thank you :)

I like the approach and the points you have listed make sense to me.
Osiris
Grunt
Grunt

by Hatson » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:29 pm

Sounds great, Daemon. Thanks for the input. :)
The White Blacksmith.
Sometimes I stream stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/travallama/
Hatson
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Alterego » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:18 am

Daemon wrote:[*]Once the server is launched (6 months *at least*), and if the community agrees, we may import old beta players characters to bring back old players (more than 20 000 accounts), under very restrictive conditions to preserve the server balance.
[*]We spoke about increased rate events. If we feel that a majority of players are tired of leveling, we though at a temporary boost of leveling rates (x2 a weekend in level 10-30 range for example). Why ? To motivate players to test Nostalrius a few days (and we are confident that they will like, and stay), to make a lot of people start a new character at the same time (so that they can levelup together, organize low level instances, raids ...). But these events won't affect players that don't want to participate, and will NOT affect the initial "first 60" rush !

:( that is not good, actually these 2 points will probably keep me away from the server.
Alterego
Sergeant
Sergeant

by ZanathKariashi » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:47 am

I would limit any donation reward gifts to things like the collectors edition pets, Blizz-con pets, or the card game stuff (though I think that started in TBC...god it's been forever). Stuff that you simply can't get in-game by normal means on a private server.

Stuff like name-change, re-customization, race change (within the same faction), also have basically no real value, and could be offered as services. Since we've all been there and gotten tired of how our character looks but don't wanna have to completely re-roll just to tweak skin color or hair-style, or just simply wanted to be a different race (though obviously your class will still restrict this, so it's pointless on a druid).

Faction change though, really shouldn't be allowed.
ZanathKariashi
Grunt
Grunt

by Drain » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:56 am

Alterego:
I don't know why they would keep you away. The first will never occur, judging from the negative feedback it's getting. Almost everyone is against it, meaning that if they are using any kind of census or vote, it'll never happen. Unless they go back on their word about having the community getting to decide, it's not going to occur. Just vote "NO" in its poll when everyone else does. When almost the entire community and server, or at least everyone that offers an opinion, is against it, and they said they are leaving it up to said people, then it's not going to happen.

The second isn't something you'd see very often. I'm against it too, but we'll have to wait. My stance is that players that are tired of leveling shouldn't be playing a game with levels. Or should play retail. You should never be in a hurry to level through a game that has levels. It undermines their entire purpose. I wouldn't give out boosts like this.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

Previous

Return to PVP Server Specific discussion