Respec cost cap

Discussion forum related to PVP Server.

Re: Respec cost cap

by Gunnis » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:29 pm

Any changes they do, opens up a flow of hate why they didn't change the other stuff some people might want. So dont change anything and keep it the way it was. Safest I believe.
Gunnis
Sergeant
Sergeant

by SanderP » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:56 pm

Gunnis wrote:Any changes they do, opens up a flow of hate why they didn't change the other stuff some people might want. So dont change anything and keep it the way it was. Safest I believe.

It's just about cutting out useless shit.
Flavie, 60 Hunter
Illusion, 60 Rogue
Star, 43 Paladin
<The Council>
SanderP
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Hatson » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:18 pm

SanderP wrote:It's just about cutting out useless shit.

You don't seem to understand, that is your opinion. It's not a fact. It's not about that at all, it's all down to personal preferences. Whether you think it's like this or like that, and could argue logically about why so, it doesn't make it a fact. And certainly not useless.
Respec costs were not put in the game originally because "it's useless, so let's put this in the game". - That would be pretty ignorant to say.

SanderP wrote:I don't discuss opinions because I don't care what you think, I talk about facts.

You can keep telling yourself that, for sure. You really think anyone else cares about what you have to say if you just said you don't care what anyone else thinks about it?
Sounds like you're related to Anita Sarkeesian or something.

SanderP wrote:WoW has mostly improved over the years

Ah, so that's why it has way fewer subs than it used to. Becuase it is a better game than back then, I understand. I presume that's why you're also playing here, because Vanilla is so much worse than retail. I see.

SanderP wrote:don't tell me stupid grind mechanics are useful or good in ANY way except stealing my lifetime.

Actually, I'd tell you that grinding is a core aspect of the entire game. Even on retail, of all things, it's still very much relevant and a core factor to the game. Granted not close to as much as it was in earlier WoW.
That's also a big part of the reason why the design philosophy changed, and people left the game. That's also a part of why they have way fewer subscriptions nowadays. Grind has a lot of factors to gameplay, especially in MMOs.
If you truly hate it so much, I'd suggest not even playing a MMO. Or if any, certainly not Vanilla or BC. I don't know what you're expecting, but you're not going to get a grind free MMO here.

I realize I'm coming off as a major douche in this post, but I'd be damned if I wasn't completely baffled by reading your recent posts. I just had to give it my mind.
The White Blacksmith.
Sometimes I stream stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/travallama/
Hatson
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by SanderP » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:07 pm

Hatson wrote:...

Ok men.
Flavie, 60 Hunter
Illusion, 60 Rogue
Star, 43 Paladin
<The Council>
SanderP
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Drain » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:07 pm

"WoW has mostly improved over the years"
That's exactly what Blizzard would say, as they keep questioning why players want to play older patches. If you really believe that, why would you want to go back?
Blizzard: "Why do you want to go back? We fixed all the things you were complaining about every year. You said things too long or were too difficult, so we made it all easier. Now everyone is a winner. Everyone can have purples. Look, you don't even have to worry about talent trees anymore. We took them out."

"don't tell me stupid grind mechanics are useful or good in ANY way except stealing my lifetime."
That's exactly what they were designed for, and that's what made the game so popular, and gave it so much longevity. Now days, they do the exact opposite. Anyone that boots it up can get anything they want quickly and easily. As so, what is the incentive to stay around? There's no longevity anymore. Predictably, with basically all forms of longevity(grind) removed, subs started their downward spiral.

There are some good videos from Corpsealot about these things. He has a lot of educational MMO related videos. It's a shame people like him haven't worked at Blizzard in a very long time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAYTDV3 ... sINh-1fi6A
The next one, titled "Philosophy: The Grind", I'd recommend as well.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Hatson » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:20 pm

I'd never think I'd see someone else here post a Corpsealot video. He's an incredibly controversial man, as he always speaks 100% his mind, so you'll either find yourself agreeing or absolutely disagreeing.
I still watch all his stuff, as more often than not, I do agree with a lot of his points. I do f.ex. agree on his vids about old WoW and the grind. Compared to what WoW is today and how Blizzard's philosophy changed for the worse. (Or better if you actually enjoy retail).
Another topic by Corpsealot I have huge passion for is PvP in MMOs, specifically early WoW days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSiAKEml1es
Where such things as player interaction and player reputation amongst a server still existed. Something that died out a long time ago on retail when blizzard introduced flying mounts, cross-server BGs, etc. To a point were player world interaction or player server reputation became non-existant. No one stands out, everyone is the same avatar doing the same thing. No communication, no drama, no spice, no fun.

Another video on a similar topic is wowpreach's videos. He's made a lot of good and enjoyable videos and lists. But his best video imo is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFWh9aY4pas

But I digress, I'm getting way off topic here. However this video is always relevant in WoW discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3765b0KhLo <-- A movie blizzard apparently never watched.
It doesn't 100% relate to the grind, but it's related to WoW's change over time. And grind is always involved in that aspect.
Last edited by Hatson on Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 8 times in total.
The White Blacksmith.
Sometimes I stream stuff: http://www.twitch.tv/travallama/
Hatson
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by apollan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:25 pm

A higher respec cost actually helps the economy. People need more gold -> People craft / farm and sell -> More things for others to buy -> More bizness. And in game wealth becomes more valuable. On a certain 3.3.5 private server I used to play on, every clown would have 100k+ gold with no use for it.
apollan
Sergeant
Sergeant

by Drain » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:43 pm

That was a good video too, and exactly the sad state WoW has turned into.
Last edited by Drain on Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
R I P: Untoten(29d, 12h), Schuss(54d, 10h), Bluten(27d, 8h), Angst(9d, 11h), Zauber(23d, 5h)
Retired from the Nost forums. Moved to Elysium. https://forum.elysium-project.org/index ... user=45003
Drain
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Shaggoth » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:48 pm

Hello guys

First thing before reading my reply, consider that I'm drunk as I'm starting to have an headache, I'm from Belgium, I drink a lot, especially when I'm coming back from a wedding. So if my sentences don't make sense, just skip my reply.

Remember that you're talkink about respec cap cost, that MIGHT be a problem later (and will probably be one), also, remember that trying to solve problems is a good thing, but trying to resolve a problem that hasn't appeared yet (as the server isn't released yet) is called preventing.

Preventing is all about collecting ideas, and put it in use as soon as the problem is starting to show.
Here's the thing : you all got your point of vieuw, I can respect that, but none is absolute truth. So before trying to spit on the other's opinion or saying it's dumb or whatever, just put it on a corner and use it when it has become accurate to use it. You don't need a nuclear weapon to kill an ant, you son't need to oblitarate respec cost before it has even been a problem.

So to summarize :
1) Just let it be blizz-like (even if you might argue that there are differences between blizz-like as in the same as on retail and blizz-like as the same experience of the game, that's two different things)
2) Once the problem shows, aplly (one of or more of) the following solutions :
-Do nothing
-Lower the 50g cap
-Lower the time frame between each diminution of the cap
-Others thing I don't remember and you talked about, as I said, I have a headache and don't want to re-read the whole post again

Thank you all for your contribution

And I put color to try, don't steal my yellow-thing (Why yellow ? Play Dark Souls and praise the sun \o/), it will become, let's say, my handwrtting the same way blue has become Letalis's
PRAISE THE SUN \ o /

Beta-tester :
Shaggoth - warrior tank
Drokhun - shaman heal
Morfodion - warlock unstuff

Soon to be :
<3 <3 <3 Bountyhunter - Hunter <3 <3 <3
http://kmod.free.fr/root/Vid%E9os/kevin.swf
Shaggoth
Grunt
Grunt

by Ahuna » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:30 am

One of the main advantages of keeping costs associated with respeccing as close to that which was in live: It helps balance out PvP vs PvE. The costs for respeccing slow people down from arbitrarily swapping their spec to whatever is convenient at the time.

The high cost helped slow people down from using a respec as a convenience just because it was a Saturday afternoon and they were bored and decided to PvP.

Cheaper respec's (and the dual spec that would come later) are terrible ideas to that will diminish any balance between PvP vs PvE players.
Ahuna
Private
Private

PreviousNext

Return to PVP Server Specific discussion