[RELEASE] ChatSuey - A collection of small chat addons

[RELEASE] ChatSuey - A collection of small chat addons

by scotthamper » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:48 pm

Hey All,

As a way of rationalizing getting back into WoW to myself, I decided to start learning addon development and make some side projects out of it. Improving chat seemed like a good first step, so I've made a bundle of small single-purpose addons to do just that:

http://www.scotthamper.com/chatsuey/

Every feature is a separate ChatSuey addon, so it's easy to add/remove any specific ones you want. This also hopefully means it plays nicely with other people's addons that might already add similar features.

Let me know what you think! One thing I've got on my to-do list is to allow configuring the format for messages (e.g., adding timestamps, removing or abbreviating "[Guild]", "[Party]", etc).

ChatSuey v1.1.0 - November 6, 2015

• Added Timestamps addon. Right click a chat tab to configure timestamp display settings for that window.
  • Added class color names for use with Markdown Links. E.g.,
    Code: Select all
    [Chatsuey](player:Chatsuey){warlock}
  • Fixed "Fuchsia" color name typo
  • Fixed bug where the Sticky Chat addon was wiping out every property of whisper, officer, and channel ChatTypeInfo other than the sticky property.
Last edited by scotthamper on Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scotthamper
Tester

Re: [RELEASE] ChatSuey - A collection of small chat addons

by Dunzz » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:07 am

Really great addon, love how modular it is.
Dominate Humbly
Dunzz
Tester

by scotthamper » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:38 pm

Cool, thank you!

Glad you like the modularity - it made sense to me to do it, but I was wondering if other people would be annoyed by having 10+ addons added to their list. Makes the addons a lot simpler too, since I don't have to code my own GUI/toggles for each feature.

The timestamp and channel format addons are coming soon - I've already committed an initial version of the timestamp addon to GitHub, but all the settings for it are hard-coded at the moment. I'll update this post when I officially release them, but if you're feeling adventurous, it's possible to check it out now.
scotthamper
Tester

by Lefeu » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:46 pm

Nice with new addons for the good old game. Tried it out and it works great. I like the modular approach as well. Thumbs up.
Industrial level of helpful trolling since 2015.
Lefeu
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by scotthamper » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:35 pm

Awesome, thanks! I've released a new version with a timestamps addon, and updated the original post with a change log. You can get the new version from:

https://github.com/ScottHamper/ChatSuey ... -1.1.0.zip

If you're upgrading, delete all the ChatSuey folders in your "Interface\AddOns" directory before copying the new ones over.

Also, I'd like to get your guys thoughts on a "Channel Format" addon I'm thinking about. Basically, instead of seeing:

[1. General]

We could truncate that to just be "[1]" or "[General]". I personally prefer the former. When mousing over "[1]", I could bring up a tooltip that displays the entire channel name, and could also add functionality so that clicking on the channel name/header brings up a chat box for that channel (kind of like how clicking a person's name opens a whisper box for them).

The main thing I've been debating, is would it be worth adding options to create custom aliases for channel names? So instead of just "[1]" or "[General]", you could choose to alias it to "G" and have it appear as "[1. G]" or "[G]". Personally, I don't think I would ever use this, except for maybe party, guild, officer, raid, and BG chats, in which case I would simply truncate them to "[G]", "[P]", "[O]", "[R]" and "[BG]".

Adding the ability to configure arbitrary channel aliases would take a reasonable amount of effort, and I'm not sure how I would work it into the default chat settings UI when right clicking a chat tab. So basically, I'm trying to justify not adding custom aliases, and to only offer preset abbreviations for specific channels, like guild, etc.

Any thoughts?
scotthamper
Tester

by Humble Kagu » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:42 pm

Looks like a pretty good AddOn. Just wondering, if I already use Prat what does your AddOn offer that Prat doesn't already have?
Looking to re-live Vanilla together with a friendly, welcoming and well-behaved bunch? Then we open our doors at http://sanctuaryguild.org where we look forward to hear from you! ☼
Humble Kagu
Sergeant
Sergeant

by scotthamper » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:53 pm

I'm not familiar with Prat, but after a quick look at a features list, here are some things ChatSuey has that Prat doesn't seem to have (though the Prat feature list I found may not be exhaustive):

- Markdown links
- Item link tooltips on hover
- More player link functionality (Prat mentions alt-click for invite, but ChatSuey also adds ability to properly link players in chat by shift-clicking, just like linking items, as well as ctrl-clicking to target the player)

Ultimately, it doesn't have to be an either/or thing. Every feature in ChatSuey is a separate addon, so you can mix and match things to your liking. There are certainly features that Prat has which ChatSuey does not.

My primary goal with ChatSuey is to be a first step in learning LUA and the WoW API while making something that I personally found useful. I've used other chat addons in the past, so I'm aware that ChatSuey overlaps in functionality with many of them - that's ok with me. I figure I ought to publish ChatSuey for anyone else who may enjoy it, instead of keeping it to myself.
Last edited by scotthamper on Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
scotthamper
Tester

by Humble Kagu » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:56 pm

Thank you for that response. The modularity is definitely a great aspect of your AddOn. Your AddOn also has the benefit of it actively being developed, while with Prat we have what was made at the time.

I'll definitely download your AddOn later today and check it out!
Looking to re-live Vanilla together with a friendly, welcoming and well-behaved bunch? Then we open our doors at http://sanctuaryguild.org where we look forward to hear from you! ☼
Humble Kagu
Sergeant
Sergeant

by scotthamper » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:00 pm

Cool! Let me know if there are other things you'd like to see in it.
scotthamper
Tester

by Bleave » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:50 pm

I like the Addon . What I would like to be added is a outline on the Font. So that the text gets a Shadow around it.
Like in this picture Image
Bleave
Private
Private

Next

Return to Addons & macros