[Addon] Questie *v2.66* - A quest helper for vanilla!

Re: [Addon] Questie *v2.63* - A quest helper for vanilla!

by Shotgunsaint » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:16 am

Dyaxler wrote:I'm working on an alternate "Quest Caching" system that will keep quest data in the database even if it's not tracked. Once I get it working right and have all the angles covered you'll be able to toggle off the quest objectives without wiping the quest tracking database allowing you to get your updates and hunt for herbs with a cleaner Minimap/Worldmap.

Development is stalled because I ran into a new bug last night with EQL3 that I'm in the process of debugging it now. Real life is getting in the way of that. :D

Amazing work as always!
Shotgunsaint
Private
Private

by thysder123 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:50 pm

Havinga slight problem with the quest tracker. I updated to the newest version on github but now the quest tracker doesnt appear. I managed to get all of my quests on the map through the commands but the quest tracker doesn't show no matter what. I got the following error when trying to shift-click a quest to track it.
I installed EQL3 AFTER noticing the quest tracker wasn't functioning however the error occurred after installing it. The tracker wasn't working before or after so it isn't EQL3's fault.
thysder123
Tester

by Dyaxler » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:39 pm

*Update*

I found a nasty little bug with EQL3 early yesterday. I spent some time here and there narrowing down the scope of the bug and figuring out a way to engineer around it. There were two bugs actually and it might explain some of the behavior some folks were reporting. One of which pertains to an Icon not disappearing after obtaining a quest or turning it in, certain quest items not updating the QuestTracker and a few other shenanigans. The root cause is that when EQL3 is installed and a quest is completed, it was bypassing a necessary cleanup function which flags the quest as complete. Instead it was simply removing the quest from the tracker and Questie would see it being removed and think it was simply being UN-tracked flagging it incorrectly. Additionally there are two types of "quest finishing" scenarios. One with Quest Rewards and one without. It took me some time and a HUGE number of debug messages to figure that one out because EQL3's auto complete quest feature was causing some bypassing behavior as well! Sheesh. At one point I got it working and discovered that it was finding the wrong Quest hash! Then I sort of uncovered the real root cause... EQL3 was injecting the Quests level into the Quest Log title so when a necessary name lookup function was run while handing in a quest it was sending the quest title along with the level into one of Questies functions and it was returning some garbage hash that wasn't even in the database. ha! Weird bug.

LONG story short I had to rewrite some of the Quest completion code during which I discovered another bug related to the quest abandon routine. There are two abandonment types. One with items and one without. Squashed that bug. I created a filter check to filter out the quest level while looking up the quest name when EQL3 is installed. Added another check to handle EQL3's auto complete quest setting. And a few other tweaks. I still need to do some regression testing to see how this new code affects already or semi leveled toons. So far I've only tested this on brand new toons.

Oh and I found a few quests that were out of order or contained dups and the icon on the world map continued to show after getting several quests. They disappear when you finish the quest chain and typically it was a chain where each step had the same name. I've been slowly going back to the Questie 3.0 code and reviewing it again. This version has a much cleaner database and I'm MUCH more familiar with Questies code base so I might attempt to migrate some features over to the 3.0 code base this week or next and attempt another go at the newer version to finish it off.

I'll keep you posted but at this point I don't have an ETA on releasing this code that I'm currently working on. It's also preventing me from finishing the "Quest Cache" feature I spoke about already.
Author of SpartanUI for Vanilla WoW 1.12
More info available here: Nostalrius Forum thread link. - Feed back welcome.
Submit bugs on GitHub or post about it in the forum thread.
Dyaxler
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: [Addon] Questie *v2.65* - A quest helper for vanilla!

by Dyaxler » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:53 am

New release - 2.65. Get it here: https://github.com/AeroScripts/QuestieD ... ses/latest

Please read the release notes. Running '/questie clearconfig' fixes most of the issues people encounter after upgrading to a new version AND cleans your database. Most of the QuestTracker issues are caused by stale entries. Some of those stale entries might reappear on your Worldmap in the form of available quests that you might have completed or abandoned. Just use the Shift+Click feature from the Worldmap to manually complete them and they will be entered properly into your quest database.

FAQ:

Q: My tracker isn't working!
A: Please run '/questie cleartracker' in game and your QuestTracker should appear in the middle of your screen. Make sure you are actually tracking some quests in the QuestLog otherwise it won't appear. If you just upgraded from an earlier version, please run '/questie clearconfig' first.

Q: I keep getting an error saying: "Error: attempt to index global 'Questie****' (a nil value)"
A: Please run '/questie clearconfig' in game and try again.

Q: How come I can't move my QuestTracker or my QuestArrow?
A: You need to hold down CTRL+Shift AND hold down your left mouse button while your pointer is over the QuestTracker or the QuestArrow to drag it around your screen.

Enoy!
Dyaxler
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by Dyaxler » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:00 pm

Released a hotfix just now... notes:

* Fixed an issue with the quest management routines. Sometimes the QuestLog
crawler would re-add a quest entry to the QuestTracker database based
on name rather than hash. This could lead to entries from quest chains
that have already been completed and miss-flagged. These improvements
will not only clean up the database better when running '/questie
clearconfig' but will also keep future completed quests in a chain from
polluting the QuestTracker database which could potentially flag a quest
improperly as complete.
Dyaxler
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

by 7A65726F » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:10 am

I'm having a problem with my Questie causing WoW to hang while loading and never finish. I just upgraded from 2.0x to 2.65 with no other changes, and now WoW hangs while loading for at least 10 minutes (I didn't wait longer than that in any of my tests). Disabling the addon or using the old version causes WoW to boot normally. Is this maybe a result of Questie having to fix its quest cache somehow?

Other addons I'm using:
ACE library
AtlasLoot + AtlasQuest
Bongos
Cartographer
Damage Meters
EnhTooltip
FuBar + half the Fu addons
Informant
Luna Unit Frames
Stubby

EDIT: I figured it out. I forgot there was a second folder for Questie for the QuestieCompatibility addon, after disabling it, it works perfectly. :)
Grab your sword and fight the horde!
I mean, fight FOR the horde! Lok'tar!
7A65726F
Tester

by Darwish » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:50 pm

Works great, Im only missing the Arrow, i've tried every command it gives me ingame and nothing seems to work :(, also disabled all other addons and that didn't help either.
Darwish
Tester

by Dyaxler » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:30 pm

Um yeah... there have been some significant changes between 2.0 and 2.65. I actually ran into that issue and it's one of the major reasons I reorganized all the files in the Questie directory and collapsed some of them together.

I did craft an upgrade test case with my lvl 41 Priest. The "database" cleanup doesn't happen unless you run /questie clearconfig which I recommend doing once you get in game. I think I covered all the nil errors in that scenario but every now and again someone finds one. Once you run clearconfig and reload your UI those nil errors, if any, will disappear. It's just new fields in the config it's looking for that hasn't been created yet in an upgrade scenario.

I'm glad you tracked down the issue!

For the past couple of days I've been working on the "Quest Cache" feature that I've mentioned a few times. I'm almost done. I'm in the final steps of testing and should release it today or tomorrow.
Dyaxler
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

Re: [Addon] Questie *v2.66* - A quest helper for vanilla!

by Dyaxler » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:04 am

The new quest cache system is ready!

v2.66 is ready and available here:
https://github.com/AeroScripts/QuestieD ... ses/latest

NOTE: Please "untrack" all your quests first then run "/questie clearconfig" after you upgrade.

This is a necessary step. Again, this will NOT clear your completed quest database but it will clean up your tracked quests and stale entries. It will also reset your QuestTracker settings and refresh all the settings tables. If you have stale entries they might re-appear on your Worldmap as available quests. Just use the Manual Complete feature to mark them as finished and they will be properly recorded as complete in your database.

Please read the release notes.
Dyaxler
Senior Sergeant
Senior Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to Addons & macros