Fresh start vs old characters (come in)

Discussion forum related to Nostalrius Begins in general.

Re: Fresh start vs old characters (come in)

by phyriel » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:44 pm

Wreckington wrote:So I propose this, why can't we have both?

Because it effectively kills the old server by stopping new blood from entering the fray. All new players would funnel into that fresh server. The only viable thing is to either have old servers back up as they were or... (even tho I'd hate it) have a wipe and open 2 fresh servers. I think from 2 options second is uber risky as u'd risk majority of old players say "fresh start? nah fuck it ima keep raidlogging on my tbc server or whatever I'm playing, Nost wasn't good enough... ok it was awesome but not awesome enough to redo it with all the work".

Sure fresh servers are better for new players... can't argue with that but its mostly due to casuals that don't want to put some work and catch up and/or wanna feel special snowflake without much of time invested.

I personally think that wipe would be huge middlefinger to ppl that stayed here active on forums for all that time, myself included.
phyriel
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Wreckington » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:58 pm

phyriel wrote:Because it effectively kills the old server by stopping new blood from entering the fray.

I disagree, nost was already hitting 20k concurrent players before the legacy server shitstorm ever happened. If nost comes back now I wouldn't be surprised for it to double, or maybe even triple those numbers. More servers will be needed, there's no doubt about that, and I see no reason why a fresh progressive server couldn't co-exist with old nost PvP and PvE.
The sheer number of new players should be more than enough for them to end up spreading between the servers. Not everyone wants a fresh start, and not everyone that wants to keep the old servers is an old player.
Any hardcore player could reach level cap in a week, maybe 2 at most, they'd probably much rather jump in on a server that is about to drop AQ 40 than a brand new progressive server.
And besides, after 2 or 3 months have passed the "fresh" server won't be so fresh, it's draw won't be so relevant, and people will probably start to opt for the classic nost servers where there are more geared players and it'll be easier for them to get geared themselves.

You make it sound like a fresh server will out right kill classic nost, but I really think you're blowing things out of proportion.
Wreckington
Private
Private

by Sharax » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:23 pm

Sharax Proposal

Start as a fresh server and when the server progresses to where Nost 1.0 was, unlock Nost 1.0 characters.
@CharaxS
Sharax
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

by Wreckington » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:26 pm

Sharax wrote:Sharax Proposal

Start as a fresh server and when the server progresses to where Nost 1.0 was, unlock Nost 1.0 characters.

That would take months, if you're going by time scale it'd take a year. Might as well just start a new character., by the time your old ones are unlocked your new one(s) would be more geared.
Wreckington
Private
Private

by Beastdweller » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:00 pm

phyriel wrote: Anyway this guy just proves the point, ppl that want fresh start are the ones that consider 1-60 a major "70% of the game" struggle :P well done champs u qualify to be retail player that knows nothing about the real vanilla struggle.

Good job generalizing. I want fresh start because I enjoy leveling with everyone. Not because it was superhard or because it was the biggest part of the game. No. I want it because to me it's a lot of fun to be leveling up with everyone and yes I understand that probably doesn't account for everyone. So I'll accept nostalrius whatever way it goes up. Be it a fresh start or just where it left off.

phyriel wrote: Anyway to cut all the bullshit with noobs talking here, if server gets wiped it cease to exist in my eyes. With all due respect and love for the time I spent here, Nost isn't/wasn't good enough to redo all that shit... I know its about the journey but not when u end up 4th time in a row in a same pit stop... and I can assure u that if server gets wiped u'll loose 90% of hardcore players... leaving u subpar casuals that leave at the first occasion.

Yea honestly if all those "Hard core players" where to really leave because they would have to relevel their characters they weren't that hard core to begin with. "oh my gosh I have to sink time in this again so I might asswell just quit completly". Honestly sounds more like a casual to me then the people who would stick it out and level up again.

Anyways just felt like I should reply As I really don't like being generalized as a noob casual just because I would prefer a fresh start. Although yet again I can live with the old characters comeing back if it comes to that.
Beastdweller
Tester

by snawfu » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:23 pm

Wreckington wrote:
Sharax wrote:Sharax Proposal

That would take months, if you're going by time scale it'd take a year. Might as well just start a new character., by the time your old ones are unlocked your new one(s) would be more geared.

nah i was bis
Last edited by Pottu on Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed insults
snawfu
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Arucado » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:29 pm

Spam
Last edited by Pottu on Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Insults
Arucado
Stone Guard
Stone Guard

by Khlompur » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:01 pm

Beastdweller makes an excellent point,
Beastdweller wrote: Yea honestly if all those "Hard core players" were to really leave because they would have to relevel their characters they weren't that hard core to begin with. "oh my gosh I have to sink time in this again so I might asswell just quit completly". Honestly sounds more like a casual to me then the people who would stick it out and level up again.

I think the main thing that a lot of people are overlooking, especially those arguing there should be no fresh start, is something that was said by Echodox on the first page:
Echodox wrote:...a lot of people would probably lose motivation if they have to level/gear up in an environment where the top guilds are already set and don't wanna do lower content.

The issue this server will run into if it simply re-opens with the old data, and opens a fresh start server, is that anyone who wasn't incredibly established already is going to roll a toon on the fresh server. Its unattractive to try to work your way to the top of a system where others are already light-years ahead of you.
A lot of people on here that are opposed to a fresh start are saying things like what Phyriel said on the second page of this thread:
Phyriel wrote: Just did mc + bwl way too fucking many times to redo it just to get into AQ and Naxx. Old servers or gtfo.

If they actually re-open these servers, they will not be able to just re-open the same ones and that's it. We all know that there are problems with doing that. Markofthewild01 sums up the issue concisely on the third page when he states:
markofthewild01 wrote:The original Nost PvP server felt unplayable at peak times, especially with the population hitting close to 15K. If the server ever re-opens, there will likely be enough new players to just create a realm for them

Opening a second realm is inevitable with the kind of population Nostalrius was managing. Especially now, with all this publicity Nostalrius has received, a reopening would likely make the population numbers go up to a point where it would only make sense to open another server.
So when the new server would open, which it inevitably will, everyone who's not established will leave for a fresh start.
These players complaining that a fresh start is a bad idea are failing to realize the end result of keeping the progress. How many players had BWL on farm? How many players have so much raid progress they are truly not willing to do it again? I bet a minority of the population. After the new server opens, these players that are so well established would essentially be the only people left on the server, because everyone will have left to be in a more competitive raid and pvp environment. The small minority of players and top guilds who were truly established on the server will be all alone when everyone leaves and it will devolve to a Feenix style server with 1 or 2 top guilds per faction being the only active players because nobody else is allowed into there club. When the raid or pvp environment is tough to break into, people will leave, especially for a less competitive version of that same environment.
Essentially, re-opening the old server, and opening a new one, would leave the extremely established minority of players as the only players on the old server. It will dwindle and die in population as everyone migrates to the fresh server for a more open and competitive environment.
I believe that the players that would like to keep all the data should be allowed to jump back into their old progress if they really want, but I think they are missing the fact that they will be all alone when that time comes, because they are definitely a hardcore minority. It won't be the Nostalrius it was before, they won't ever get to be on top of all those players like they used to be, the community will split and they will be on the much, much less popular side. I hope that they just remember that when they are arguing for keeping all their data.
Just my two cents.
Last edited by Khlompur on Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khlompur
Private
Private

by Beastdweller » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:26 pm

Arucado wrote:You and your fresh starter friends wouldn't pass from lvl 35 casuls

Actually I was lvl 37 already and looking forward to getting my mount at 40 So I did pass 35 sorry to dissapoint you :lol:.

Besides That I leveled to 60 on multiple characters when vanilla wow was still retail and on several private servers on 1x(I really dislike xp boost shit). Managed to get to Knight-captain on an Night Elf Hunter and even higher on my UD warrior back in the days. I went through MC/BWL/AQ40 grinded the AV rep to exalted for my unstopable force and The Immovable Object on my UD warrior sadly no Naxx. But yea you're right I'm a sad noob that wouldn't get past 35 if my life depeneded on it ;).
Beastdweller
Tester

by phyriel » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:37 pm

I sorta wish Nost didn't get that fame ;) It just dragged entitled shitters all over here :p But I agree with one, if server ever opens again and everyone would want to "try famous Nostalrius" it would probably murder the login server forever. So I have a fine proposal, make old accounts have priority for login and all the fresh blood can wait in a 20 hour queue... I mean if they REALLY wanna try famous Nostalrius they will wait right? Cmon guys... u really wanna try it :P I'm done with taking those wipe demands as serious...

That argument that server will be uber unplayable... well thats what clustering was developed for... check the sticky.

That argument that ppl want fresh start just to "experience playing with others"... dude even without fresh start... I started on Nost mby June last year... so it wasn't fresh, it already had guilds farming mc and shit (like PvE server prog basicly) and I NEVER had to look for ppl for quests... there were tons of people everywhere. So there goes the fear of leveling alone on old server, please don't use it. All that fresh people want is having a same chance to be a special snowflake with server #1 thunderfury or whatever. It's really selfish and should be frowned upon.

Another argument that people use... that top guilds won't be doing mc / bwl with others... damn thats so wrong... before aq opens most classes still got BiS pieces from mc (quickstrike, onslaught girdle, thunderfury (bis forever lol, atleast for multi tanking)) so u'll always have atleast core that carries alts and fresh blood. Don't use that argument either please as its just not true.

Last argument I'd like to kill... all the people that say they just want to experience low lvl dungeons and 1-60... why didn't u roll toon on Elysium but wait for Nost instead? Since shutdown u could've had that experience on like 4-5 servers just as good as on Nost so whats that about?

Tell me just one argument that makes it anything else that "fresh server makes me special snowflake easier and on old i'd have to bow my head to more experienced people before I prove my mettle and catch up"
phyriel
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion